Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

What's the max a stock engine can take?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 04:00 PM
buck2769

Default RE: What's the max a stock engine can take?

ORIGINAL: 2oo5stang

Like mentioned around 450rwhp. Can you go more, yes, but you will have to baby it and your on borrowed time.

Also a dynojets don't always give you higher numbers, there's alot of factors that play in that part, if you are referring to a mustang dyno for comparison. I've seen one give higher and then i've seen the other give higher numbers. Same goes for STD or SAE, eveything factors in. Usually dynojet and STD can give up to 10HP more on the numbers. but not always.
I've seen a car dyno 190rwhp on a mustang dyno and later dyno 195rwhp on a dynojet.
I've never heard of this. Were the runs on the same day? Conditions can really affect the dyno numbers.
Old 02-12-2007, 04:31 PM
jdback19
4th Gear Member

I still want to know how the guy in the local car club is pushing 625hp to the rear wheels.....ON STOCK INTERNALS!!!! He damn well proved it though on the dyno. Says its been runnin strong for 7500 miles. WHATS UP WITH THAT?
Old 02-12-2007, 04:36 PM
buck2769

ORIGINAL: jdback19

I still want to know how the guy in the local car club is pushing 625hp to the rear wheels.....ON STOCK INTERNALS!!!! He damn well proved it though on the dyno. Says its been runnin strong for 7500 miles. WHATS UP WITH THAT?
That's kick ***, but it seems like the exception, not the rule. Damn good though. What is he running to achieve that?
Old 02-12-2007, 04:41 PM
jdback19
4th Gear Member

Long Tube headers!!!

.....and some guy named Kenne Bell?
Old 02-12-2007, 04:54 PM
buck2769

Sweet numbers for such few mods. I assume that injectors and fuel pump came with the kenne bell kit. I'm impressed.
Old 02-12-2007, 04:58 PM
jdback19
4th Gear Member

He has the works with his S/C kit. He has full non-catted exhaust, aluminum drive shaft, stage 2 cltuch, and stock gears and rearend. He states that so far his tranny is holding good as well as his engine his stockclutch went out in 2 weeks after install. And he does not baby that damn car he rips 24-7!!!!
Old 02-13-2007, 05:52 AM
djmac95
2nd Gear Member

I'm new at all this, so please forgive me if I sound ignorant with my next questions. Here goes:

If our cars can safely handle about 425 rwhp, how much is that at the crank? The reason I ask is that my understanding is that different supension mods, etc. will put more hp "to the ground." So wouldn't that mean that someone could be putting down 425 rwhp but their hp at the crank is far higher (and more dangerous to the internals) than another guy who is putting down 425 rwhp but has done the necessary suspension mods? Wouldn't this account for why some people are safely running higher rwhp numbers than others who've had engine problems? Or do I completely not understand how this works?
Old 02-13-2007, 06:18 AM
androdz
I ♥ Acer

Erm normally suspension mods dont affect hp unless you change the driveshaft angle or pinion. Just 1 question how the hell are you gonna dyno the engine . Just stay around 425 give/take 25 in either direction and you should be ok. Also remember to run it rich way. Nothing over 12.2

Andrew
Old 02-13-2007, 03:44 PM
Virgule
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: djmac95

I'm new at all this, so please forgive me if I sound ignorant with my next questions. Here goes:

If our cars can safely handle about 425 rwhp, how much is that at the crank? The reason I ask is that my understanding is that different supension mods, etc. will put more hp "to the ground." So wouldn't that mean that someone could be putting down 425 rwhp but their hp at the crank is far higher (and more dangerous to the internals) than another guy who is putting down 425 rwhp but has done the necessary suspension mods? Wouldn't this account for why some people are safely running higher rwhp numbers than others who've had engine problems? Or do I completely not understand how this works?
Cart before the horse. RWHP is the result of all the drivetrain losses, not the other way around. What you create at the crank is what determines engine"safety" and what gets transferred through the driveshaft to the rear wheels. Suspension mods can increase transfer efficiency, but certainly not by much.
Old 02-14-2007, 12:52 AM
djmac95
2nd Gear Member

So how then do they say that the stock GT is rated at 300HP? Is there some math formula they use after obtaining rwhp to determine hp at the crank?

Quick Reply: What's the max a stock engine can take?