Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Anything more needed for Cluth install ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 05:56 AM
saud alzaabi
3rd Gear Member

Default Anything more needed for Cluth install ?

My friends clutch just arrived and were getting ready to fix them but just before that we need to make sure that nothing else is missing.

We ordered clutch spec1 with aluminum flywheel and aluminum pressure plate. all ordered from Spec site.

And as most of you know his 2nd gear synchro is dead so we got it. we took the car to the dealer just to check whats wrong with the clutch and they said that there are some springs also im not exactly sure what they are.

So other than that what is missing ?
And is there a certain torque needed on wrench during the install ?

Thanks
Old 02-22-2007, 10:52 AM
A_Sixer
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Anything more needed for Cluth install ?

Slave cylinder, pilot bearing, bearing puller, torque wrench, flywheel machined, torx female socket, dot 3 brake fluid, vacumm pump with gauge, wrench extensions at least 24",and a lot of time.

Good Luck

Old 02-22-2007, 10:52 AM
ponyman
2nd Gear Member

Unless you have a lift and a tranny support, I am going to suggest taking it to a shop to do a clutch replacement...It is not fun on jackstands!!!!
Old 02-22-2007, 01:11 PM
saud alzaabi
3rd Gear Member

Hahahaha ofcourse im taking it to a shop... If it was a quad i'd do it alone but a car? No way man...

so anything else needed ? ( A PART )
Old 02-22-2007, 01:13 PM
A_Sixer
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: saud alzaabi

Hahahaha ofcourse im taking it to a shop... If it was a quad i'd do it alone but a car? No way man...

so anything else needed ? ( A PART )
Slave cylinder, pilot bearing
Old 02-22-2007, 02:56 PM
2oo5stang
3rd Gear Member

If it doesn't have alot of miles on it, i woudln't change the pilot bearing. Did it come with a clutch alignment tool? RP tranny fluid.
Old 02-22-2007, 03:25 PM
A_Sixer
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2oo5stang

If it doesn't have alot of miles on it, i woudln't change the pilot bearing. Did it come with a clutch alignment tool? RP tranny fluid.
Just be aware that most manufactures of aftermarket clutches expect youto replace the pilot bearing (readSPECS do's and don'ts), it it a $15 dollar part, if you don't replace it and clutch failure or early wear occurs you might not have a clutch warranty. The only fluid used is break fluid wich is shared via the main brake reservoir....

the alignment tool usually comes with the clutch kit but beaware, our cars are still relatively new I just replaced my clutch witha SPEC stage 2+ kit and the aligment tool did not fit into the flywheel bearing ...... I had to sand it down about a quarter inch around ..... Also make sure the shop resurfaces the flywheel (no matter how nice it looks).....

Cheer's
Old 02-22-2007, 04:24 PM
2oo5stang
3rd Gear Member

usually you replace your clutch after alot of miles from wear and tear, not to just upgrade, they state to change the pilot bearing probably cause they think your car has a lot of miles and the pilot bearing is worn out. it is cheap but if you have less than 40K miles on your car, i woudln't change it out. i've never heard of a pilot bearing failing and messing up your clutch.
i was talking about fluid that sits inside the tranny not what helps the hydraluic slave
Old 02-22-2007, 05:11 PM
jdback19
4th Gear Member

I do mechanic work on UPS trucks in my free time. A pilot bearing isnt replaced until you can feel play in it i have seen them go 1.5 million miles on these damn trucks. But if it was onmy car i would replace it while i was there cause the tranny is a bitch to get out even with asupport lift.
Old 02-22-2007, 05:16 PM
A_Sixer
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jdback19

I do mechanic work on UPS trucks in my free time. A pilot bearing isnt replaced until you can feel play in it i have seen them go 1.5 million miles on these damn trucks. But if it was onmy car i would replace it while i was there cause the tranny is a bitch to get out even with asupport lift.
My point exactly.... bearing = $15
replacing while flywheel is out = easy
having to replace it at 20k miles later = hell all over again

Quick Reply: Anything more needed for Cluth install ?