Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Cam questions

Old 03-08-2007, 07:44 AM
3rdgearpull

Default Cam questions

Which cam company are most people running and getting the best gains with stock heads from? Which stage of cam to use with stock heads? And if you look at the numbers all three companys cams are so different, the crowlers all have huge lift, myself i am going to buy a cam and i want amedium to rough idlethat makes good power with stock heads...All the stage 2 mostly have smooth idle, i want my car to sound like it has a cam, but im thinking that the stage 3 may be to much for a head that hasn't been cleaned up. Please help
Old 03-08-2007, 08:00 AM
cryptic26djp
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Cam questions

what other mods do you plan on doing to your ride?
Old 03-08-2007, 08:33 AM
3rdgearpull

as of now i got a full exhaust, diablo, hurst shifter, lakewood adj lowers, and my car has lost over 100lbs. i am getting a gear i am undecided though i would like to get a deal, i got a 5 speed manual car, i also got steeda ultralite springs, and a 12" stripe kit
Old 03-08-2007, 08:34 AM
3rdgearpull

did the d specs help 60fts?
Old 03-08-2007, 12:10 PM
zkiller
4th Gear Member

Cams are a waste of money on the S197 cars. The stock cams work fine. You want to pay all that money just for a lumpy sounding idle? That is not vey wise.
What is Crowlers? Maybe you mean Crower Cams?
Most of these aftermarket cams are reground stock cams, little gains shown with the cams that are available for sale.
Old 03-09-2007, 07:49 AM
3rdgearpull

My bad zkiller for my poor spelling! Your crazy(i appreciate those who work hard for a living so don'ttake thisas if i am acting like im better than thosein the 45,000 to 60,000range yearlybecause im not...Ihave just been lucky in the past few years you could say...)to think that cams won't help...On the other hand though i got the extra change to spend 1,000 for a 20-35 rwhp gain so don't hate cause your mommy probably bought your car, and she won't give you no allowance...I plan on getting the intake manifold by fast, and i got a nitrous kit in the garage, any nitrous cam would help tramendously WITHNITROUS...I don't know were you do your resarchat butyou need to ask around,i know you can read because you are a pro at spelling, so go read a few more magazines. Modular cars benifit well with cams, instead of WORRYING (is that spelled right) about spelling youPROLLY need to go practice driving, cause you sound like a import %$&.
Old 03-09-2007, 07:50 AM
3rdgearpull

whatdoes "vey wise" mean?
Old 03-10-2007, 08:17 PM
steelcomp
2nd Gear Member

Wow...gotta love the attitude.
Just wondering if you evenknow what the stock cam specs are?? Do you know what the flow numbers are on the heads? Do you know what the cam timing is on the stockers? Do you know anything about what you're talking about? Obviously not, or you wouldn't be here asking a stupid question. LOL...Are you sure you want to spend a whole $1000 from your allownace?
Here's a little advice. The stock cams on the 3V engine are quite good...but the weak link is the automatic cam timing adjuster. It's not very strong, and just about any spring upgrade (usually associated with a cam upgrade) will just about guarantee a nuclear explosion under your valve covers. The stock springs are very mild (about 60# on the seat) due to the weakness of the cam timing adjuster. There are more parts inside one than as swiss watch, and they're about as fragile as one. Before you go changing cams, you might want to do more than read some magazines, 'cauase if that's where you get your info, you'rean idiot.

Don't be so critical. Find out what you're talking about before you jump someone else that probably knows a LOT more than you do about this stuff.
ORIGINAL: 3rdgearpull

My bad zkiller for my poor spelling! Your crazy(i appreciate those who work hard for a living so don'ttake thisas if i am acting like im better than thosein the 45,000 to 60,000range yearlybecause im not...Ihave just been lucky in the past few years you could say...)to think that cams won't help...On the other hand though i got the extra change to spend 1,000 for a 20-35 rwhp gain so don't hate cause your mommy probably bought your car, and she won't give you no allowance...I plan on getting the intake manifold by fast, and i got a nitrous kit in the garage, any nitrous cam would help tramendously WITHNITROUS...I don't know were you do your resarchat butyou need to ask around,i know you can read because you are a pro at spelling, so go read a few more magazines. Modular cars benifit well with cams, instead of WORRYING (is that spelled right) about spelling youPROLLY need to go practice driving, cause you sound like a import %$&.
Old 03-11-2007, 05:52 AM
3rdgearpull

If you liked the email steel comp you can call anytime 606 273 5400...Thanks for your post...Have a nice day.
Old 03-11-2007, 06:46 AM
steelcomp
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 3rdgearpull

If you liked the email steel comp you can call anytime 606 273 5400...Thanks for your post...Have a nice day.
You mean this one?
I'd say you must be a engine builder to know as much as you do, thats impressive...I guess i was tough on zkiller, but i do know the cam specs, stock specs, and how much the heads flow...I was wondering if i needed a custom grind and i wanted to know which cam would be best for stock heads... People like you could be of use but you want to run your ****ing mouth. Oh yeah and all my info doesn't come from magazines I was reffering to zkiller you idiot. I have also seen cars at that track this year bottom out 12's and run high 11's with no forced induction only with cams and bolt on's. I didn't know i wasn't allowed to ask questions, i thought that is what the site is for, and if you read the post zkiller left you can tell he "started it" I don't get a ****in allowance im boss in the coal mines, i do work for a living, i don't change mother****ers oil, and do brake jobs for 50 dollars a day. So you can suck my dick you non reading bastard...
LOL...Put the pipe down, crackhead. You're gonna hurt yourself.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cam questions