Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Diablo vs SCT

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 02:48 PM
WHITE99GT
1st Gear Member

Default Diablo vs SCT

I currently have a 2006 GT and when I bought it , it came with the C&L cold air intake and daiblo predator. I read on here alot of guys knocking the diablo and using the SCT. I see alot fo guys using tunes from either Brenspeed or B A M A chip. Are the SCT tunes that much better? Are the tunes from Brenspeed orB A M A Chipthat good? Any bad issues? Any input is appreciated. Car runs great, but if its gonna run better with the SCT with a Brenspeed or **** tune I would consider swicthing.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:16 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Diablo vs SCT

The predator and the SCT are both the "same" in that they are both tools for loading a tune file onto your car. Theoretically anything you can do with one of them you can do on either one.

Think of it like this. The "tunes" are like movies, and the tuner (predator or SCT-2) are like DVD players. The player doesn't really matter--the movie is the same on either player.

That being said, all of your performance is coming from the quality of the TUNE itself. The tuner is just a tool to install the tune onto your car.

Now then, there's basically two kinds of tunes. There are the factory default tunes ("canned tunes") which come on the tuner from the factory. These tunes are lousy. The other kind of tune is one that is written by a skilled technician specifically for YOUR car and YOUR mods. This is what people are talking about when they get tunes from Brenspeed or B amachips or Evolution.

Really, the issue isn't SCT vs. Diablosport. The issue is default factory tune VS a CUSTOM tune. So ideally you would buy a tuner from a custom shop like this instead of from a generic wholesaler. The difference is that if you buy from, say, Summit or RPM Outlet, you get stuck with a generic tune. If you buy from someone like Brenspeed then you get a custom tune instead.

Anyway, most of the custom shops seem to prefer the SCT. (I have been told that is becasue the custom software that the tuning guys use to write your tunes is better from SCT.) But there are custom tuning guys who use the Predator. Find one and get them to write you a custom tune for your needs. Expect to pay $50-75 or so, but that's still a better deal than buying a whole new tuner!
Old 03-21-2007, 03:18 PM
06VistaBlueGT
3rd Gear Member

The car isn't going to run any different based on which programmer you are using, a tune is a tune. The problem is not all tuners use Diablo or SCT. I know that B ama uses SCT but I also see on their site they sell Diablo as well. I think Brenspeed is strictly SCT.

I think the SCT is more widely used.

I personally have an SCT and tunes from B ama and love it.

As to whether the 'canned' SCT tunes that came with the tuner are inferior to Brenspeed or B ama, I definitely say yes.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:24 PM
WHITE99GT
1st Gear Member

I just dont trust local shop from past experience and he used diablo. I would feel safer getting a tune from brenspeed or either b ama chips if they are gonna be a better tune than just the tunes that came with the c&l cold air intake.
Old 03-22-2007, 01:57 AM
SpeedRacer9220
1st Gear Member

Doug at B AMA Chips now tunes using the Predator as well as the SCT. I ran along time with the canned 91 OCT Predator and it did the job OK, but Dougs tune is way better than the canned Predator tune. I am currently using the 91 TORQ Tune. The best money I have spent and his customer service is great!
Old 03-27-2007, 08:32 AM
modpower

I have the predator, but i have been seeing some post were people are getting free tunes that you can download, i am new to this please help out, i am using what most call the lousy 93 tune but i set my global to 7 ,and my car runs great. Help out, i would love to get a good free tune.lol