Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Mods

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 09:39 PM
katrina

Default Mods

O.K...I just got my new mustang 1 week ago and I am already thinking of mods....I really can't afford to do anything right now BUT where do you guys suggest I start???
Old 03-22-2007, 10:41 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Mods

In my opinion, the best #1 mod is a tuner.

By itself the tuner will give you about 10-15 HP to the wheels. Plus it will get rid of your throttle lag and make the car much more responsive. If you have an auto trans it also firms up your shifts.

The tuner is a fantastic first mod also because it is a key building block for future mods. You will need a tuner to get the most out of an air intake, which is another very popular mod. You can use it to correct your speedo if you change tires or gears...and you can use it to update your tunes, which is required for many engine mods you may be doing down the road.

Buy your tuner from an established shop that actually writes custom tunes. I suggest Brenspeed, though other shops like Evolution and B amachips are well known as well. The reason is that when you deal with a company like this you will get a tune specifically for YOUR car and your needs, not a generic "canned tune", which is what you get stuck with if you buy your tuner from a discount vendor. A pro-written tune such as one from Brent @ Brenspeed is a lot better than a canned tune.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:38 AM
katrina

Thank you
Old 03-23-2007, 12:54 AM
2007GT/CS
3rd Gear Member

Depends on whether you're interested in performance mods or appearance mods or a bit of both.

I'd "+1" to what CrazyAl said. A tuner is the place to start from a reputable dealer who is also a performance tuner. Al mentioned Brenspeed but there are other "A" players as well. Just use the search (or ask - you'll get a ton of feedback).

You might want to do a CAI setup at the same time. A number of vendors offer package deals.

A lot of people then do a shifter (Steeda, Hurst, Pro 5.0, etc.) and some gears (4.10s and 3.73s being popular choices).

My first mod was putting the Bassani's on. Does nothing for HP but sounds saweet.

Then the *real* money starts when you being talking about swapping wheels/tires, lowering, headers and x-pipes, N20 or blowers,..... The list is endless. You could read these forums forever....

As far as appearance mods go - there is a whole raft of stuff you can do from mild (putting in a shorty antenna $15 or replacing your stock lamps with Silverstars $30) to more extreme (body kits, custom hoods, ...) and everything in between.

You've got a great looking ride right out of the gate (not that I'd be biased in any way). Welcome!
Old 03-23-2007, 01:29 AM
katrina

Thanks..I would look into performance mods firstbefore appearance...but definately interested in both...I see the list can go on and on..I will take it alittle at a time though.....When did you get your 2007GT/CS in Oct ???? Beautiful Car SSWWEEETTTTTTT !!!!! NO we are not biased in anyway Right !!!! LOL