Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Driveshaft loops

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 04:58 AM
CBSTANG
2nd Gear Member

Default Driveshaft loops

I just ordered a driveshaft from denny's, and I was going to go ahead and order driveshaft loops from bmr, but I was wondering if both front and rear are needed/recommended or if it would be just fine to use just the rear or front. Also the only reason why I want to go with bmr is because there loops require no drilling, is this correct and if so will I have to unbolt something else to accomplish the install? I mainly just want to know if the bmr loops are actually more work than the other brands that need drilling.
Old 04-14-2007, 09:07 AM
scramblr
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Driveshaft loops

They're simple to install. The front one, it's brace installs to the tranny cross-member support. Two bolts. The rear, since you have to install the tunnel brace, you either have to disconnect the exhaust midpipe at the center so you can slip the tunnel brace over them, or per BMRs instructions, loosen all four bolts of the tranny cross-member to lower it and at the same time lowering the mid-pipes giving enough clearance for the brace to go in. I think it's simpler to just disconnect the mid-pipes, let them hang down, install the brace and then re-connect the mid-pipes. I have both pieces and they are supper quality. Che has a front loop which requires drilling, but they don't have a rear. A rear is probably not necessary, however, I like to be safe than sorry. I let my Denny's DS sit until I got the loops so I could do it all at once.
Old 04-14-2007, 12:55 PM
MusiccityGT
4th Gear Member

+1 on the BMR's.I have the Denny's 1 piece and I added the BMR's shortly thereafter. They were a breeze to install. I did not have to loosen anything to install the rear with the tunnel brace. I had the car on my drive on lift, so the suspension was loaded. Maybe that was why. The quality and fit was perfect.
Old 04-14-2007, 05:59 PM
scramblr
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MusiccityGT

+1 on the BMR's.I have the Denny's 1 piece and I added the BMR's shortly thereafter. They were a breeze to install. I did not have to loosen anything to install the rear with the tunnel brace. I had the car on my drive on lift, so the suspension was loaded. Maybe that was why. The quality and fit was perfect.
You're not lowered are you? No way I could get that brace over the exhaust and I have the Steeda Ultralites. Maybe that's why.
Old 04-14-2007, 07:38 PM
MusiccityGT
4th Gear Member

No, I am not lowered. I have the Dynatech long tubes, so maybe they gave me extra clearance at the midpipes.
Old 04-17-2007, 04:06 AM
jrm1900
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CBSTANG

I just ordered a driveshaft from denny's, and I was going to go ahead and order driveshaft loops from bmr, but I was wondering if both front and rear are needed/recommended or if it would be just fine to use just the rear or front. Also the only reason why I want to go with bmr is because there loops require no drilling, is this correct and if so will I have to unbolt something else to accomplish the install? I mainly just want to know if the bmr loops are actually more work than the other brands that need drilling.
IMO the front loop is the one that mattersthemost, lets say you dont have an H or X pipe and you are driving at high speed, if the DS breaks up front and thebroken tiphits the asphalt and get stuck in a pothole or something, in the best scenario you'll tear apart your rear axle, in the worst scenario it'll make you lose control of your car or even flip it over causing a serious accident. On the other hand if the DS breaks by the rear end it'll just hang from the front and since you are moving forward it'll make just a few harmless sparks, asuming you dont have any fuel leaks, in the worst scenario tho the ds would come lose and you might drive over it.
I am just trying to use some logic here, I am by no means expert on auto safety.
Old 04-17-2007, 05:15 AM
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

I'd agree if there wasn't the possibility of the DS blowing a hole in the fuel tank.
I'd say install both front and rear loops! That's what I'll do when Ichange out to abetter DS.
Lord knows I've been pushing my stock DS and now I do feel vibration from it at times when I'm going faster than I should be.
Knowing that, if that sucker blows, it's nobody's fault but mine.
So double loops for sure. In fact I may add them before I replace the stock shaft.
If you're gonna push your car to potentially unsafe limits, it's better to besafe than sorry.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:14 AM
scramblr
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jrm1900

ORIGINAL: CBSTANG

IMO the front loop is the one that mattersthemost, lets say you dont have an H or X pipe and you are driving at high speed, if the DS breaks up front and thebroken tiphits the asphalt and get stuck in a pothole or something, in the best scenario you'll tear apart your rear axle, in the worst scenario it'll make you lose control of your car or even flip it over causing a serious accident. On the other hand if the DS breaks by the rear end it'll just hang from the front and since you are moving forward it'll make just a few harmless sparks, asuming you dont have any fuel leaks, in the worst scenario tho the ds would come lose and you might drive over it.
I am just trying to use some logic here, I am by no means expert on auto safety.
Although I agree the front loop is the most crucial, I would beg to differ on the rear just making a few harmless sparks. You're traveling at a high rate of speed and that rear goes and it reaches the road, it's going to bounce up into the tunnel and have the possiblity of coming through the floor board. Although unlikely, for $140 (BMR), I'd rather be safe than sorry.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:45 PM
CBSTANG
2nd Gear Member

I was leaning toward just getting them both and now I am decided Im gonna place my order this week for them, thanks everyone.
Old 04-18-2007, 10:07 PM
MusiccityGT
4th Gear Member

Wise decision !!