Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

shorties vs. longtubes

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 12:49 AM
FrostByte
5th Gear Member

Default RE: shorties vs. longtubes

ORIGINAL: Timmay!!!

Shorties, you will spend 60% of the money and 80% of the effort installing only to get 4-5 hp. L/Ts will net you about 17-20 hp. Some things to consider with L/Ts:

A good header mid-pipe setup right nowwill run you at least 1200 bucks and up to 1400, poor cost to hp ratio
You will have to pull the headers anytime you want to pull the tranny.
They will never be CARB legal since you change the location of the cats from the factory location(if you keep the cats at all)

As soon as I decide what flavor of FI that I want I'll know if I'm going with L/Ts or not.
1- Is it true guys that if I wanted to change my clutch id have to pull headers too?

2- Whats CARB?
Old 05-21-2007, 07:37 PM
androdz
I ♥ Acer

I gained around 14 rwhp from my shorties because I went with an offroad X .

Andrew
Old 05-22-2007, 03:30 PM
06hoss
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: drbobvs

I wish someone would make a catted H for the LT's, I don't want to go X. Any leads?
JBAs are the only ones I know of that come that way. Be aware that use an inferior type of stainless (400 series vs 300 series for American Racing, Kooks, Dynatech, etc.)
Old 05-22-2007, 03:33 PM
06hoss
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FrostByte

ORIGINAL: Timmay!!!

Shorties, you will spend 60% of the money and 80% of the effort installing only to get 4-5 hp. L/Ts will net you about 17-20 hp. Some things to consider with L/Ts:

A good header mid-pipe setup right nowwill run you at least 1200 bucks and up to 1400, poor cost to hp ratio
You will have to pull the headers anytime you want to pull the tranny.
They will never be CARB legal since you change the location of the cats from the factory location(if you keep the cats at all)

As soon as I decide what flavor of FI that I want I'll know if I'm going with L/Ts or not.
1- Is it true guys that if I wanted to change my clutch id have to pull headers too?

2- Whats CARB?
CARB = California Air Resouces Board. They came up with the emissions standard.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:02 PM
tom281
2nd Gear Member

Part of the larger gain from longtubes is usually found by eliminating the cats. You will find that shorties will gain you power, maybe only 5 to 8 horse atmax, but they do pick up the power throughout the powerband so its not always the max numbers that count.

Sure the longtubes are better, but if you're already runningwith no cats, they'll get you about 15 horse from what I've seen and they're a LOT of money and a PITA to install for that amount of gain.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:46 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

going to the referee after getting caught without cats sucks - I know from experience.
Old 05-23-2007, 12:17 AM
Timmay!!!
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 06hoss

ORIGINAL: drbobvs

I wish someone would make a catted H for the LT's, I don't want to go X. Any leads?
JBAs are the only ones I know of that come that way. Be aware that use an inferior type of stainless (400 series vs 300 series for American Racing, Kooks, Dynatech, etc.)
American Racing Headers now offer a catted or O/R h-pipe to go with their L/Ts.
Old 05-24-2007, 09:40 PM
06hoss
2nd Gear Member

Who told you that? I have a set of AR headers ready to be put on my car and I had to order the X pipe.
Their website doesn't say anything about an H pipe.
Old 06-05-2007, 05:03 PM
Bluestar
5th Gear Member

I have JBA shorties and the FRPP X-Pipe. The result = no CEL's, no Cat issues, no retune, improved breating, instant throttle response. It's all good. I read a lot of posts where the guys have issues with long tubes, be it CEL's or inspection problems.
Old 06-07-2007, 08:28 PM
dirtydeedsinc
2nd Gear Member

SLP makes a X pipe set up that has high flow cats and bolts to the stock / shorty exhaust. If you decide to go LT, you pull off the pipes in front of the cats and bolt them up. Get tired of the cats? Slide them off and get a piece of pipe made to go in their place.

Quick Reply: shorties vs. longtubes