Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

UDP ???

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 10:06 AM
dirtydeedsinc
2nd Gear Member

Default UDP ???

OK, I've been researching putting UDPs on my car here and elsewhere. All of the ones I've seen say they are the only ones that are SFI approved. I just find that funny from a truth in advertising standpoint. From what I've seen here, most everyone seems to like the Steedas but I was wondering if anyone has experience with other brands. It looks to me like most are about 25% underdrive so is there a real difference besides the name on the pully and the price?
Old 05-27-2007, 02:17 AM
BillyBobJoe
4th Gear Member

Default RE: UDP ???

I don't think there is really a difference between them. Some of the water pump pullies are different and some kits include an overdrive pulley for the alt. I have the SLP set with just the crank and water pump pulley. I've had no problems with it and the install was a cinch...once the impact started working again.
Old 05-27-2007, 01:35 PM
GT Bob
3rd Gear Member

I am going for the Steeda's for the fact that they were designed with a lot of help (and alot of testing) from Ford. This means they should have the correct vibration dampening properties. Couple this with the fact that if you order a Steeda 'stang from the dealer, Ford will warrenty the parts, to me this says that there's some decent quality to them that won't hurt the life of the engine. Not saying that others will, just saying that I am pretty sure these won't.

Pricewise, they are comparable to others and Steeda is a quality name. Never used any of SLP's Ford parts, but in the GM world, they have a VERY good name, so they would be my second choice.
Old 05-27-2007, 02:47 PM
shooter23
3rd Gear Member

Steeda, Roush, Ford Racing...they are all teh same...EXACT same...just difference box...

I went with roush, mainly because they were available when i wanted them, and they were a few bucks cheaper than steeda...but Steeda told me that they are the same parts, come from the same place...just re-boxed...so it doesnt really matter where you get them from...

There are a few different selections from companies...but i would stick with one of these three, or the SLP...go with the crank pulley and water pump pulley set...dont start changing the alternator pulley, etc...

Easy install, no tune and noticeable difference...
Old 05-28-2007, 03:10 AM
dseid2
2nd Gear Member

I went with the Steeda UDP's with no problem what soever.Also went with Steeda's delete plates, CIA and tune and got 311 RWHP and 328 RWTQ.
Old 06-05-2007, 04:54 PM
Bluestar
5th Gear Member

Steeda UDP's FTW
Old 06-05-2007, 06:03 PM
nhvickery
2nd Gear Member

r UDP's worthless if im goin to get a s/c?
Old 06-05-2007, 06:30 PM
saud alzaabi
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nhvickery

Yup... just sell them on ebay when ur done with them..
Old 06-06-2007, 09:55 PM
dirtydeedsinc
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nhvickery

yeah, you really don't want to slow down the blower. Kind of defeats the purpose.

I've been thinking about the MotoBlues because they have holes in them and come with new idler pullies. The holes should lighten them up and give an additional 0.1 HP. OK, I just like the way the holes look.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:45 PM
The Ghost
3rd Gear Member

Check out Fluidamper harmonic balance. It is SFI approved and it alone will gain about 10hp without a water pump pulley. It is much lighter and absorbs all harmonics so it is crazy smooth. It is also the same price as a pulley kit and WILL work with any power adder. (it's rated to nearly 900hp) I had UDP's and installed the fluidamper about two months ago. So I do have theWP pulley as well. I have not Dyno'd but the butt-dyno feels like I put in UDP's all over again.

Quick Reply: UDP ???