Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

93 oct for US not THEM

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 02:21 PM
s197richie
I ♥ Acer

Default 93 oct for US not THEM

[sm=feedback.gif][sm=gears.gif][sm=thanx.gif] I have read on some forums not to use 93 octane in your s197 because Ford recommends 87 and slower burning gas can cause carbon issues. I know Cadillac had a recall that involved changing the octane recommendation for Northstars from premium to regular because of carbon issues. However, the average Cadillac owner is older than dirt and never gets above 2000 rpm with the thing. If all the Mustang owners in your town commandeered all the Cadillacs for a day there'd be so much carbon in the air it would look like the eruption of Crackatoa all over again. I know I bring my mustang to redline on a daily basis (after reaching normal operating temp of course) and I assume the majority of you pound on your stangs as well. Wouldn't it be safe to run 93 octane under conditions where carbon buildup is practically impossible due to driving style? Hence the old saying "I'm cleanin' out the carbons" when you stand on it...

What's everybody's opinion on this? I've been running 93 octane in mine and plan on doing so in the future...keep in mind I'm talking about s197s without a 93 octane tune...

Richie

Old 06-12-2007, 02:47 PM
retfr8flyr
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: 93 oct for US not THEM

Without the 93 octane tune you’re not gaining anything putting 93 in your car. The computer controls the timing on these and it is set for 87 and the best fuel mileage the 93 probably will cause carbon build up because of the slower burn characteristics without more timing to increase the burn. If you have a performance tune then by all means use the higher octane but imho without a tune you’re just wasting money.

Earl
Old 06-12-2007, 03:35 PM
shooter23
3rd Gear Member

Yes, I'm tuned to 94...I wont change it...Carbon build up should not be a problem if you drive them like they want to be driven...
Old 06-13-2007, 12:52 PM
s197richie
I ♥ Acer

Thanks guys but more replies please....everyone who views this post puts gas in their car...which octane? Also mention if you have a canned or dyno octane tune or no tune at all...

[sm=feedback.gif]

While I'm on the subject...considering a diablosport predator tuner and using the 93 octane tune...my car is an 07 GT stick with only flowmasters and K&N drop-in for mods...staying away from CAI's so my warranty won't get rubber-stamped...anyone running this canned predator 93 octane tune without a CAI? Getting good results? The tune can be erased by reloading the stock tune and disconnecting the battery (for warranty work), right? Appreciate feedback...15-20 RHWP for 400 bucks is a pretty good deal

Richie
Old 06-13-2007, 01:46 PM
Margarita Girl
Is the tide gonna reach my chair?

Running a 93 tune from Brenspeed with a Steeda CAI, stock exhaust.

I'm happy. No problems at all.
Old 06-13-2007, 04:56 PM
Mikes_BLK_GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: s197richie

Thanks guys but more replies please....everyone who views this post puts gas in their car...which octane? Also mention if you have a canned or dyno octane tune or no tune at all...

[sm=feedback.gif]

While I'm on the subject...considering a diablosport predator tuner and using the 93 octane tune...my car is an 07 GT stick with only flowmasters and K&N drop-in for mods...staying away from CAI's so my warranty won't get rubber-stamped...anyone running this canned predator 93 octane tune without a CAI? Getting good results? The tune can be erased by reloading the stock tune and disconnecting the battery (for warranty work), right? Appreciate feedback...15-20 RHWP for 400 bucks is a pretty good deal

Richie
If warranty is the only thing stopping you keep in mind it's easy to switch back for dealer trips which shouldnt happen too teribly often. See sig for tune.
Old 06-14-2007, 06:28 PM
v8pilot
2nd Gear Member

In a week i probably launch my car about a good 9 times, and in a week i probably redline my car 30 times ( at operating temps)
Old 06-15-2007, 03:55 PM
jrm1900
2nd Gear Member

Your best bet to avoid carbon build up is to use good quality fuel that comes with some detergents to avoid that problem, I think Chevron, Shell, Mobil among others use this aditives.
Old 06-15-2007, 08:27 PM
s197richie
I ♥ Acer

Thanks for everyone's input...I decided to order an xcal-2 from brenspeed and run a 93 octane tune after all...might as well get the benefits of 93 if I insist on using it...seems like a good bang for the buck. Now I gotta play the waiting game...is it here yet, is it here yet...

Richie

[sm=thanx.gif]
Old 06-15-2007, 10:01 PM
retfr8flyr
3rd Gear Member

Good move you won't believe the difference the tune will make.

Earl

Quick Reply: 93 oct for US not THEM