Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

I need help..

Old 06-19-2007, 12:46 PM
A1L ThR0TTLE/N0 Bttl

Default I need help..

Car.
Black 2006 Mustang GT
Mods.
BBK twin 62mm throttle body
K n N CAI
Axle Back flowmaster exhaust.

Problem.
the throttle response has gone out a few times in the last week ever since i added on the last mod.. the mufflers. to fix the problem i simply turned the car off, waited a few seconds, and turned it back on. just yesterday i was gonna try recharging the ac with that stuff you buy from Advanced Auto and as soon as i pulled the cap off of the low pressure valve..the engine began to stall until it just died. after that it would crank but just die out right after that until it wouldnt crank at all. i joined the forum looking for help, got all kinds of responses like.. high detonation.. 4 cyclinder fail safes.. needing tuning badly and not to start it again, that tuning would take care of the problem.. but i called the guys at brenspeed and my boy Dave says my mods shouldnt be killing the car, stalling it out, throwing the throttle response off.. he says.. yea, if you want to get the most out of your mods.. get it tuned, but that its never absolutely necessary.. not to mention i go out there today after contemplating suicide all night[>:] and the car starts up fine..
Between a rock and a hard place bc if i go to the dealership.. they turn you away as soon as they see aftermarket mods.. and then it seems like anyone else you talk to is just pitching in their two cents and Everyone has a different opinion. i trust the guys at Brenspeed.. tuning is what they do, so i shouldnt need a re-tune because of these problems.. im under the impression my car should be running just fine. has anyone else had these problems? looking to get educated on the situation..
Old 06-19-2007, 12:50 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Default RE: I need help..

Look i told you before take the mods off. If you have the problem with the mods off then take it to a dealer. Its not hard, the exhaust has nothing to do with **** so leave that alone. You still have not specified if it is the K&N "drop in" or the CAI, either way remove the damn thing and then take the TB off. its all a 30 minute process at most. If you still have problems its none of those, if it runs fine....its points to the TB...which has been documented to have many problems.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:00 PM
A1L ThR0TTLE/N0 Bttl

sorry, i have the CAI if that changes anything..
Old 06-19-2007, 01:07 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Yes it does make alot bigger difference than just having the drop in, but the same reasoning applies, remove it and return everything to stock and go from there.
Old 06-19-2007, 04:09 PM
shooter23
3rd Gear Member

I have said it MANY times...DONT TOUCH THE GODDAMN TB...it causes nothing but headaches...if you are one of the ppl to get lucky and have problems...then lucky you...but for most people...they do nothing but bitch about the problems with the cars.

I know for a fact that ford spent over a million developping the intake system on these cars...now, they did leave a restrictive intake tube...but other than that...its fine...dont touch the throttle bodies UNTIL you've done everything, and that includes HEADWORK! which you definitely havent...

sounds like your not one of the lucky ones...so pull that TB off and you'll be absolutely fine, and if your not...take it to the dealer! you've got a CAI and TB...takes less than 30 mins to pull it off and restart the car...

If you've still got problems, drive it to the dealer...if you dont have problems, put the CAI back on, and then put the TB for sale on ebay, cuase its worthless to you now...
Old 06-19-2007, 09:29 PM
A1L ThR0TTLE/N0 Bttl

well.. since i didnt have the stock TB anymore.. thanks to my dad who put it on for me while i was deployed.. i had to order another one through the local Ford stealership.. should be here by noon tomm. so ill repost after i slap it back on. thanks for the tips. i appreciate it fellas.
Old 06-22-2007, 10:17 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: shooter23
I have said it MANY times...DONT TOUCH THE GODDAMN TB...it causes nothing but headaches...if you are one of the ppl to get lucky and have problems...then lucky you...but for most people...they do nothing but bitch about the problems with the cars.

I know for a fact that ford spent over a million developping the intake system on these cars...now, they did leave a restrictive intake tube...but other than that...its fine...dont touch the throttle bodies UNTIL you've done everything, and that includes HEADWORK! which you definitely havent...

sounds like your not one of the lucky ones...so pull that TB off and you'll be absolutely fine, and if your not...take it to the dealer! you've got a CAI and TB...takes less than 30 mins to pull it off and restart the car...

If you've still got problems, drive it to the dealer...if you dont have problems, put the CAI back on, and then put the TB for sale on ebay, cuase its worthless to you now...
Why do you keep saying this?Many people have installed the BBK 62mm TB and have had no problems. I've installed three of them including one on my own '05 S197GTand have nothing but good things to say about it. Wealso found the BBK 62mm TB was good for 6rwhp (SAE correction smoothing5 on DJ dyno),on my car with literally all the intake and exhaust bolt-ons. Some people who have installed them on bone stock cars have found more as is to be expected because almost every bolt-on part shows the biggest gain on a stock motor due to overlapping improvement inintake and exhaust bottlenecks.

The no name "billet" throttle bodies from GMS, LFP etc. with machined gears and poor butterfly shaft bearing designs are the throttlebodies with the problems. BBK did their home work and basicallyused the carefull research and design work that Ford did. BBK took all of the important O.E. design throttle body features; resin gears, properly engineered shaft bearing designto avoid bindingover a wide range of temps and thebutterflyshaft damper stopsand built them into a larger bore throttle body casting with animproved throatdesign for better airflow.

There have been very few people reporting problems who read the instruction page before starting the installation of the BBK 62mm TB. There were some legitimate problems with some of the BBK 62mm TB's but they seem to havebeen resolved by correcting the TPS (throttle position sensor), idle position voltage by adjusting the screw on the TB. Some people of course were not up toperforming this simple task and opted to get a replacement andhad no problems completeing the BBK 62mm TB installation sucessfully.

HTH!

Old 06-22-2007, 10:46 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: A1L ThR0TTLE/N0 Bttl
Car.
Black 2006 Mustang GT
Mods.
BBK twin 62mm throttle body
K n N CAI
Axle Back flowmaster exhaust.

Problem.
the throttle response has gone out a few times in the last week ever since i added on the last mod.. the mufflers. to fix the problem i simply turned the car off, waited a few seconds, and turned it back on. just yesterday i was gonna try recharging the ac with that stuff you buy from Advanced Auto and as soon as i pulled the cap off of the low pressure valve..the engine began to stall until it just died. after that it would crank but just die out right after that until it wouldnt crank at all. i joined the forum looking for help, got all kinds of responses like.. high detonation.. 4 cyclinder fail safes.. needing tuning badly and not to start it again, that tuning would take care of the problem.. but i called the guys at brenspeed and my boy Dave says my mods shouldnt be killing the car, stalling it out, throwing the throttle response off.. he says.. yea, if you want to get the most out of your mods.. get it tuned, but that its never absolutely necessary.. not to mention i go out there today after contemplating suicide all night[>:] and the car starts up fine..
Between a rock and a hard place bc if i go to the dealership.. they turn you away as soon as they see aftermarket mods.. and then it seems like anyone else you talk to is just pitching in their two cents and Everyone has a different opinion. i trust the guys at Brenspeed.. tuning is what they do, so i shouldnt need a re-tune because of these problems.. im under the impression my car should be running just fine. has anyone else had these problems? looking to get educated on the situation..
Hi allthrottle,

Was it running normally with the K&N CAI kit and BBK 62mm TB installed? If so I can garantee that the axleback mufflers did nothing to the car to make it act this way. I think you may have a gremlin who messed withthe adjuster on the BBK 62mm TB or this was set marginally as shipped from BBK and thiscausing your ECU to freak out.

Here is the procedure to correctly set the TPS idle voltage on the BBK 62mm TB if you are haveing idle quality problems or getting check engine lights.

If you are having issues with your BBK 1763 '05+ throttle body causing a FAILSAFE mode or CHECK ENGINE light, try the following procedure- [/align]First be sure that the plastic capped spring is hooked into the gear and rotated approx 180° COUNTER-CLOCKWISE until it pops into locked position. [/align]If that is verified and correct and you are still having issues then follow the directions for checking TPS voltage. [/align][/align]

CHECKING TPS VOLTAGE

To check the TPS voltage you must have a DIGITAL voltmeter.[/align][ol][*]Re-assemble and install the stock throttle body.[*]LEAVE THE THROTTLE BODY MOTOR UNPLUGGED (the small connector on the driver side of the throttle body).[*]Ground the black wire of your meter and poke the probe of the red wire on the meter into the YELLOW wire of the TPS sensor which is the bottom wire on the plug located on the passenger side of the throttle body. You DO NOT need to break the wire to read voltage. The best way to probe the yellow wire is to poke the probe into the plastic harness plug (while it’s plugged in to the TPS). You will need to penetrate the blue insulator the goes around the end of the yellow wire (hidden inside the harness plug) to reach the bare metal end of the yellow wire. Touch the probe to the bare metal end of the yellow wire[*]Turn the ignition to the ON position but do not start the car.[*]Read the meter display. You should see a voltage reading between 1.19-1.31 volts. Write the voltage down.[*]Now re-install the BBK throttle body and repeat steps 2-5.[*]If the TPS voltage on the BBK throttle body varies from the stock TPS voltage then follow the next steps to adjust the BBK to stock settings. This is easily done with the throttle body bolted to the car. [/ol]

ADJUSTING TPS VOLTAGE[/align][ol][*]Remove the motor housing from the throttle body and loosen the tiny Allen headed set screw that locks the brass plunger into place.[*]Hook the plastic capped spring back into the gear and mount the motor housing cover onto the throttle body with a few of the screws to hold it in place.[*]Rotate the plastic capped spring approx 180° COUNTER-CLOCKWISE until it pops into locked position.[*]Using a pair of pliers or Vise Grips while watching the meter, turn the brass plunger clockwise to increase voltage or counter clockwise to decrease voltage until the meter displays the same voltage reading you noted from the stock throttle body.[*]Once the correct voltage is achieved and verified, you may remove the motor housing cover and tighten the set screw back into place then re-assemble the BBK throttle body for driving operation.[*]Plug the throttle body motor in.[*]Turn the ignition key to the ON position, then to the OFF position 4 times to allow the car to check the throttle body for proper operation. [/ol]
If the throttle body is correct then the CHECK ENGINE and FAILSAFE warnings should be gone when you turn the key on for the 4th time [/align]If for some reason this does not work for you please e mail BBK Tech Support for further assistance tech@bbkperformance.com [/align][/align]

I doubt that anything is wrong with any of your bolt-on parts or that they are the cause of the problems you are having. But to get the dealer to fix it under warranty youneed to take it back to them in stock condition so they can use diagnostoc tools that know what to expect for a given set of conditions. The Ford dealer mechanics likely have no idea what to expect from your aftermarket parts when your car's ECU is hooked up to their diagnostic computer and they will blame your parts if they can. So put it back to stock and take it in to the dealer.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!

Cheers/Chip