Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

gear swap $$$

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 08:49 AM
s197richie
I ♥ Acer

Default gear swap $$$

OK I've committed to the FRPP 4.10s and am getting the FRPP install kit and the fluid, additive, rtv so all I'll be paying the shop for is labor...how much are you guys paying for the gear swap? I've located maybe 3 or 4 people, my first quote was 400-500 bucks which seemed high, but the guy's damn good. Keep in mind the car only has 1500 miles on it so I won't be swapping out the bearings...thanks...
Old 07-15-2007, 09:16 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Default RE: gear swap $$$

ORIGINAL: s197richie

OK I've committed to the FRPP 4.10s and am getting the FRPP install kit and the fluid, additive, rtv so all I'll be paying the shop for is labor...how much are you guys paying for the gear swap? I've located maybe 3 or 4 people, my first quote was 400-500 bucks which seemed high, but the guy's damn good. Keep in mind the car only has 1500 miles on it so I won't be swapping out the bearings...thanks...
You'll need a new inner pinion bearing and race regardless of miles. It's nearly impossible to remove without damage from what i've read. It's $24 bucks from ford I think. I Paid $300 for labor, that's $60 an hour for an estimated 5 hours.
Old 07-15-2007, 11:31 AM
shooter23
3rd Gear Member

Whereever you go...make sure they know what they are doing...

Gears are a very sophisticated install...math is involved...and if they dont know what they are doing...can get vibrations or ticking...just search about that one around here...quite common...

In my case, I'm not worried about saving 100 bucks if the guy knows what hes doing...and i'm a college student, so 100 bucks is alot, but its also peace of mind that i can get in and know that i can tak'er right away, no problems...

Congrats on the gears, let us know how you like them...cause we all know you'll love em
Old 07-15-2007, 11:53 AM
D_Gusler
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: shooter23

Whereever you go...make sure they know what they are doing...

Gears are a very sophisticated install...math is involved...and if they dont know what they are doing...can get vibrations or ticking...just search about that one around here...quite common...

In my case, I'm not worried about saving 100 bucks if the guy knows what hes doing...and i'm a college student, so 100 bucks is alot, but its also peace of mind that i can get in and know that i can tak'er right away, no problems...

Congrats on the gears, let us know how you like them...cause we all know you'll love em

Never heard gears "tick"
interesting.

Genereal install time should be no more than 6 hours for these vehicles. Anymore, and your getting ripped off.
Old 07-15-2007, 01:15 PM
Mikes_BLK_GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: moosestang

You'll need a new inner pinion bearing and race regardless of miles. It's nearly impossible to remove without damage from what i've read. It's $24 bucks from ford I think. I Paid $300 for labor, that's $60 an hour for an estimated 5 hours.
You wouldnt happen to have a P/N for that would you? or is it different ofr auotmatic's?
Old 07-15-2007, 01:19 PM
s197richie
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Mikes_BLK_GT

You wouldnt happen to have a P/N for that would you? or is it different ofr auotmatic's?
Looks like it's a race between me and Mike to see who slaps in their gears first lol...
Old 07-15-2007, 01:26 PM
Mikes_BLK_GT
4th Gear Member

FRPP girdle and a couple other small items coming before I can install, most likely late next month and I want them NOW [:'(](LOL)
Old 07-15-2007, 03:11 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I don't have a part number, but they all use the same axle, ford 8.8

ORIGINAL: Mikes_BLK_GT

Old 07-15-2007, 03:18 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...63016_-1_11219

Tillman sent us M-4210-A from what I can tell.....M-4210-B would include what moose is talking about.....I am hoping my shop will have the other parts needed if not I will see if I can get them from the dealer...will find out Monday afternoon
Old 07-15-2007, 03:52 PM
Mikes_BLK_GT
4th Gear Member

The dealer may be the way I go too but depends on what my installer sayswhen I schedule the install. I wonder if I can get just the parts that I havnt got rather than buy another kit.

Quick Reply: gear swap $$$