Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Thinking of converting to Mobile-1 Syntheitc oil.

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 11:12 AM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Thinking of converting to Mobile-1 Syntheitc oil.

+1 Amsoil
Old 08-07-2007, 11:17 AM
s197richie
I ♥ Acer

bmr4life: you might see a very small increase on a dyno due to reduction of friction, but the main reason I use mobil one is to extend the life of my engine, esp. considering what I put it through on a daily basis lol...
wolfey: any synthetic on an older engine that smokes or leaks will make it smoke/leak worse sincea more "slippery" synthetic oil can more easily find its way to the leaks...
Old 08-07-2007, 12:28 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I've heard good things about Royal Purple but have no experience with it personally. As far as performance, the gains are negligible.

I've been doing my own oil changes on a lot of vehicles and have used dino and full synthetics and, personally, have had numerous vehicles that have exceeded 200,000 miles using both oils (meaning some running dino only, others using synthetic only plus 2 others that I switched to synthetic after 100,000 miles) and NONE ofthose vehicles experienced any problems, nor could you tell the difference in oil consumption. Yes, I DO believe that engine protection from wear and corrosion is better with a synthetic. But dino oil, if changed at 3,000 mile intervals is just as capable. I also[sm=smiley34.gif] drive over 1,000 miles per month and often close to 3,000 and prefer the benefit of extended oil change frequencies. If you use synthetic and want to change your oil at 3,000 then go for it. I think if you study the data you may eventually become comfortable with saving a few bucks without feeling like you're hurting your ride.

Rick
Old 08-07-2007, 12:36 PM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

What steps need to be taken to switch to 100% synthetic.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:56 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Bmr4life

What steps need to be taken to switch to 100% synthetic.
Nothing other than ensuring you let as much of your present oil drain out as possible. And although I've been told it's not necessary, I do my first oil change AFTER switching to synthetic a little early just to flush out whatever was left of the old oil. BTW, I'd be using Mobil1 in the Stang instead of Amsoil but the Stang is my "toy" at the moment and not my daily.

Rick
Old 08-07-2007, 02:00 PM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

Are you talking about the normal Mobil1 or the Mobil1 extended performance (which claims 15k miles or 1 year between changes)?

What is the recommended oil filter for use with synthetics and where should I buy it?
Old 08-07-2007, 02:08 PM
ChiDiddy
4th Gear Member

From experience and oil analysis, Royal Purple breaks down too easily for a synthetic. M1 and Amsoil are top notch that can be had easily. German Castrol is also good.

Theres no special way of going synthetic. Just drain and fill. Eventually, there will be full syn fluid as your continue to change. Nothing wrong with mixing dino+syn. I'm an Amsoil dealer, and became a dealer after personal success with their motor oils and tranny fluids. I get most of my friends to run Amsoil MTF/ATF and they all report better shift feel. I use Amsoil ATF in my boosted automatic RSX. After track runs, the trans does not slip at all vs. the Honda ATF. Whereas other synthetic ATFs are not compatible with Hondas.

As for RP, i recommend against it. I told my friend not to go that route, but he did anyways and the results ended up with bad oil seals on the turbo. (notorious case with RP + turbos). Although many have reported good results from their MTF trans fluid. (the ATF i recommend is either Ford's stock fluid or Amsoil) I recommend Amsoil or M1 for motor oil. I use M1 cuz it can be cheaply had at your local Walmart for ~$20/5qt jug. Also, use the Mobil1 synthetic oil filter with it for best results. (or Amsoil filter)

Benefits of synthetics are well worth the extra dollars. Everything runs more efficiently, which results to better gas mileage as well. Also, longer drain intervals.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:19 PM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

So what is the drain interval?

I know this is a performance forum so everyone wants to be diehard about having the cleanest oil in their ride, but my stang is my DD and I'd prefer not to have to change my oil every 50 days. (3k miles for me)

The DD before the stang was a 93 buick century that I changed the oil in every 5-6k miles using regular dino oil. Had over 100k miles and never had to add any oil between changes. Was still getting 20mpg before I upgraded.

I'd hope I could do the same with the stang if I run Mobil1 or Amsoil.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:38 PM
ChiDiddy
4th Gear Member

Amsoil advertises longer drain intervals. But most i'd go on Amsoil+Ams filter is 10k miles. (25k is the advertised interval). On M1+M1 filter, i'd go about 6k-8k miles. Now this is on a non-boosted, close to stock car. When serious mods are installed, u should change more frequently.

The real way to determine your drain interval for your car is getting an oil analysis done. (blackstonelabs.com, or google it) its relatively cheap. ($20)
Old 08-07-2007, 02:40 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I'll leave the interval to chididdy since he's an Amsoil distributor and has that info recommended by Amsoil but I feel comfortable with oil changes at 10k-12k using the Amsoil filter, but that's MY comfort level. I probably could go longer but what-the-heck... She's my baby!

Rick
[sm=smiley34.gif]

Quick Reply: Thinking of converting to Mobile-1 Syntheitc oil.