Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

KEEP YOUR CAI COLDER...

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 04:08 AM
seniorsmith
3rd Gear Member

Default KEEP YOUR CAI COLDER...

Does anyone know if there is a ceramic based paint available that would work with aluminum intake elbows to help insulate against engine heat and keep the air flow cooler???
Old 08-23-2007, 11:37 AM
ski
4th Gear Member

Default RE: KEEP YOUR CAI COLDER...

Save your time and $. Insulating your CAI does not reduce the inlet air temps.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:48 AM
Dumpweed
2nd Gear Member

seniorsmith...thats one H$!! of a great sig pic you have...love the car
Old 08-23-2007, 11:49 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ski

Save your time and $. Insulating your CAI does not reduce the inlet air temps.
I agree, at least to no significance that would have any benefit.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:05 PM
Norse1974
3rd Gear Member

If your really concearned with heat temp on the inlet tube then header wrap it.It wont look all that good but its the only effective thing to do.How much it would help???Who knows.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:09 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

I wish people would stop trying to make CAI actually use colder air....if there was a way to do it then the C&L, JLT, or Steeda R&D dept. would have probably come up it. There are ways to do it I am sure but they were not cost effective.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:29 PM
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

Just so you know, a Cold Air Intake is designed to provide a 'cooler' air temperature than the stock intake air box and tube. It does just that and that's all it will do and needs to do.
By allowing cooler than normal but not too much cooler air into the engine, the air density is thereby increased a little bit which also provides a tiny bit more available oxygen for the combustion 'oxidation' process which results in more available power.

If you try to make it cooler than is acceptable, you will harm performance and fuel economy, not enhance it.

If you want to add a bit more oomph, improve gas mileage and lower harmful tail pipe emissions, go buy yourself some 100% pure acetone and add just under a quarter ounce per gallon to your fuel!

Around .20oz per gallon will do. DO NOT exceed .25oz per gallon in any case or you'll cause a decrease in power and MPG due to pushing the octane rating up too high.
You'll notice the improvement, especially if you are using a high octane tune.
I get at least 4 to 6 more MPG using acetone.

Be careful not to spill any on your paint and as with gasoline, keep away from ignition sources such as flames etc. while working with acetone. It's highly flammable!

The CAI systems are designed as best theycan be. Much R&D and proofing has gone into their design. So leave well enough alone. It's doing the best it can and you won't make it do any better by wrapping it or what ever. In fact I'd lay odds that if you wrapped your CAI in any kind of insulation, you'll cause an increase in intake temps thereby defeating the purpose of a CAI all together where air density/temps are concerned.

I suggest you google using acetone as a fuel additiveand learn everything you can about it before you attempt to use it. Adding the correct amount of acetone does work. I know that for a fact!
I'm getting almost 100 more miles out of a tank of fuel because of it.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:54 PM
zkiller
4th Gear Member

As the owner of a GT with forced induction, I could care less about gas milage and I would never put fingernail polish remover in my tank. You can do that and believe in it and enjoy your added milage. If I get 5 miles a gallon, I dont care. Acetone won't help my performance.
I do care about getting the coldest possible intake air temperatures. I like that because it icreases performance. That is why my car performs better on cool days becauseit likes that cool dense air. That is why Kenne Bell has the CAI pulling the air from under the front bumper away from the hot engine compartment.
Old 08-23-2007, 01:31 PM
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: zkiller

As the owner of a GT with forced induction, I could care less about gas milage and I would never put fingernail polish remover in my tank. You can do that and believe in it and enjoy your added milage. If I get 5 miles a gallon, I dont care. Acetone won't help my performance.
I do care about getting the coldest possible intake air temperatures. I like that because it icreases performance. That is why my car performs better on cool days becauseit likes that cool dense air. That is why Kenne Bell has the CAI pulling the air from under the front bumper away from the hot engine compartment.
Okay, fine. I wasn't suggesting 'you' do it anyway.
However, anyone that puts general fingernail polish remover in their tank is asking for trouble because it has water in it too.
What I suggested is 100% PURE Acetone. That means nothing but acetone if you need clairification.
Also, you WOULD see an improvment in MPG even with your F/I gas hog. Acetones natural frequency is such that it decreases the surface tension of hydrocarbon chains thereby allowing for improved vaporization and gassification thereof in the early stages of combustion.
It IS harmless to the fuel system, fuel system parts and engine.
Use it or don't use it. I don't care really.