Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

How loud is a CAI?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 08:35 PM
mav2k

Default How loud is a CAI?

How loud is a CAI for the GT, Steeda for example

Thanks in advance
Old 09-08-2007, 08:51 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Default RE: How loud is a CAI?

depends in how loud your exhaust is...the CAI itself isnt loud at all and wont be heard over most exhausts
Old 09-08-2007, 09:49 PM
wmtheflash
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mav2k

How loud is a CAI for the GT, Steeda for example

Thanks in advance
It makes sort of a whistling, air sucking noise. It's not all that loud, I doubt anyone outside of the car can detect much. I can, however, hear my Steeda intake over my FRPP Stinger exhaust if I take off really hard. When the exhaust is droning, though, I definitely can hear the intake.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:27 AM
AmericanMuscle4.6GT
5th Gear Member

the best way i can describe it is that it adds induction noise. sucking noise is enhanced during part throttle situations. at WOT it changes the tone of the engine, much more aggressive, but a better way to describe it is that its a clearer sound; not quite as muffled as stock.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=7juB-VEoM6g
Old 09-11-2007, 01:39 PM
Nick62087
1st Gear Member

I have the steeda intake w/ flowmaster axlebacks. The intake actually wasn't as loud as i thought it would be. When the engine is idling and i rev it hard, i hear a little "sniff" noise from the intake. When i accelerate, the car sounds a little bit deeper, i assume due to the added noise of the intake. Cruising at 70-80 mph its hard to notice the intake noise.

I take it your considering buying a steeda CAI. I ordered mine from brenspeed, and the quality of the aluminum maf housing was not what i thought it should be. There were alot of little imperfections in the metal. Brenspeed sent me a new one. The new one had little imperfections as well, but not as bad. I havent seen any others in person to actually compare.

-Nick
Old 09-11-2007, 06:01 PM
D_Gusler
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Nick62087

I have the steeda intake w/ flowmaster axlebacks. The intake actually wasn't as loud as i thought it would be. When the engine is idling and i rev it hard, i hear a little "sniff" noise from the intake. When i accelerate, the car sounds a little bit deeper, i assume due to the added noise of the intake. Cruising at 70-80 mph its hard to notice the intake noise.

I take it your considering buying a steeda CAI. I ordered mine from brenspeed, and the quality of the aluminum maf housing was not what i thought it should be. There were alot of little imperfections in the metal. Brenspeed sent me a new one. The new one had little imperfections as well, but not as bad. I havent seen any others in person to actually compare.

-Nick

This is probably the most accurate way to describe it. Just a little more suction noise if you really listen for it whenever you "blip" the throttle. On WOT runs, you really can't even tell too much difference between the stock intake on these cars.I'm running the C&L street from Brenspeed, and I absolutely love it.
Old 09-12-2007, 02:22 PM
Pwny
4th Gear Member

I was starting to think I was the only one who bought a Steeda CAI. You definitely hear a "sniff" initially, but I can't really tell that much of a difference. It does a deeper note though.
Old 09-12-2007, 02:25 PM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

I didn't notice mine to be any louder than stock. I can hear the TB opening a little more but thats it.
Old 09-12-2007, 03:09 PM
A_J
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Nick62087

-Nick
Steeda from Brenspeed here too - must have been a bad batch - my MAF housing was perfectly fine. At least you had the good service of Brenspeed on your side.

To me,itsounds morelike a 'snort' on WOT, than a sniff...
Old 09-12-2007, 11:12 PM
dirtydeedsinc
2nd Gear Member

This car is the quietest I've had after installing a CAI to the point of me barely hearing it unless the windows were down. Of course, after the exhaust mods I can't hear it if I wanted to.

Quick Reply: How loud is a CAI?