Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

What's the best shifter?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 12:32 AM
hotstud737

Default RE: which axle ratio is best for a 2007 mustang GT

i have a 2007 mustang gt 5-speed Would a 4.56:1 axle ratio be a good idea? I would then be able to reline in 5 gear at 150 at 6000
Old 09-27-2007, 12:33 AM
hotstud737

I have a 2007 mustang gt 5 speed I want to install a 4;56;1 axle ratio O then would be able to reline at 6000 at 150 mph Is that a good idea
Old 09-27-2007, 05:22 PM
s197richie
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: hotstud737

I have a 2007 mustang gt 5 speed I want to install a 4;56;1 axle ratio O then would be able to reline at 6000 at 150 mph Is that a good idea
um, you're not gonna touch 150mph with 4.56's. Sorry.

back to the shifter question...I have the hurst, it looks cool, has very positive shifting and a nice throw, not too high effort, but for track racing where you really want to shift as fast as possible, I wouldn't recommend it. Going through the gears is very deliberate, like a deadbolt. I've heard the MGW is the tops for a fast short-throw, or maybe a steeda triax.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:11 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

Default RE: What's the best shifter?

ORIGINAL: Texotic

...but i looked at the MGW and it doesn't have the linkage, it's only the handle part, not the whole shifter. unless it's absolutely pointless, i'd rather replace as much of it as i can. also it needs to be a somewhat easy install because i'll be doing it myself.....
What do you mean it doesnt have the linkage? Its complete
I love mine and havent felt a better shifter yet.
Install was a breeze. A lift makes it a little easier.

Old 09-27-2007, 08:59 PM
s197richie
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Stoenr

...but i looked at the MGW and it doesn't have the linkage, it's only the handle part, not the whole shifter. unless it's absolutely pointless, i'd rather replace as much of it as i can. also it needs to be a somewhat easy install because i'll be doing it myself.....

maybe he was looking at the sn95 MGW shifter. Since that one bolts directly onto the trans.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:19 PM
acstone7
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: s197richie

ORIGINAL: hotstud737

um, you're not gonna touch 150mph with 4.56's. Sorry.

back to the shifter question...I have the hurst, it looks cool, has very positive shifting and a nice throw, not too high effort, but for track racing where you really want to shift as fast as possible, I wouldn't recommend it. Going through the gears is very deliberate, like a deadbolt. I've heard the MGW is the tops for a fast short-throw, or maybe a steeda triax.
lol to the 4.56s and richies right on, i wouldnt reccomend the hurst for short quick throws either. The MGW is much better for this, but if thats not your bag then go with the hurst, i def like the looks of the hurst better, just too notchy.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:35 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

MGW I believe is workin on a shaft with the looks of a Hurst
Old 09-28-2007, 12:42 AM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Stoenr

when i was looking on the MGW website it looked like the shifter didn't come with the linkage arms. when you pics of the hurst and tri-ax, they have the arms sticking out horizontally, i didn't see those on the MGW website, did they just not include them in the pics?
Old 09-28-2007, 11:27 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

for street use. i want a really short throw, but i want it to be smooth and not feel like i have to force it. i really don't care how much it is, the most i 've seen is like $300 and that's not a problem. originally i was gonna go Hurst because it claims the shortest throw (40% reduction) plus it looks cool. then i saw some posts praising the MGW over the Hurst, but i looked at the MGW and it doesn't have the linkage, it's only the handle part, not the whole shifter. unless it's absolutely pointless, i'd rather replace as much of it as i can. also it needs to be a somewhat easy install because i'll be doing it myself. i've heard good things about the Tri-Ax, the Hurst, and the MGW. which is the best, did i miss any? i just don't want to get stuck with a clunky shifter. any input would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Texotic,

All of the shifters for the S197GT 5-speed do the same thing shorten the shift throw and increase the effort required to shift gears. The only shifter that can changeshift throw length and shifter shaft position is the MGW. All of the shifters will feelthe same once you replace the bushings and shorten the throw, how short determines the effort needed to shift gears.This is because the transmission controls the basic shift feel and the only thing you can do as a shifter manufacturer is to alter the bushing densities,alter the position of the shifter,alter themoving and staticmass of the shifter mechanism and how well isolated the shift handle is from the shift pivot or transmission shift arm. These are the only things that can be changed to alter the feel of the act of shifting.

Knowing this I suggest that you consider what is important to you, shift smoothness or shift throw. As you shorten the shift throw, you increase shift effort. As you decrease bushing compliance, you increase the mechanical feel and can discern when you are hitting the shift stops in the transmission. A very good way to see if you like the short shifter feel is to drive acar with a short shifter installed. If you like, it buy it, if you sort of like it buy the MGW and adjust it tofind the right compromise betweenthrow and distance.

The MGW is a complete shift mechanism excluding theshifter to transmission arm and even has very nice touches like Dynamat to help reduce noise in the tunnel. If you want the very best most adaptable shifter available, you want the MGW. On the other hand, you can go cheap and get a short throw with high effort andexcellent shift feel.Just buy one of the Saleen SpeedlabShift Adaptersfrom an eBay seller for $50 and a pair of shifter bushings form Steeda for $15 and call it a day.

I have driven several cars with Steeda Tri-Ax's, Steeda Sport Shifter, Saleen's Shift Adapter Block,Pro 5.0's, Hurst with Chrome Handles and WhiteShift *****, Hurst with stock shift ***** andthe MGW and they are all virtually identical toone another withincertain groupsEXCEPT the MGW. The Tri-Ax and Pro 5.0 shift the same, the Saleen Speedlabs Shift Adapter Block, Hurst and Steeda Sport shifters feel and operate the same the MGW is amazing in that you can very quickly alter the shift throws to smooth out the notchiness or shorten the throws to be as horribly notchy as the Tri-Ax and Pro 5.0. Afterdriving several of the early O.E. based shifters and the Tri-Ax I bought and installeda set ofSteeda Shift Bushingsand Saleen Speedlabs Shift Adapter Block back when they were still under $45TOTALand I've been pretty happy with it. High effortwith short throws but it is VERY direct and you can feel it when you shift well because you can feel the stops when you are hitting the gears right.

HTH!

Typos, spelling
Old 09-29-2007, 04:09 PM
Bluestar
5th Gear Member

I have the Hurst, and although there are other shifters that may, or may not be better. I'm sticking with this one, 'cause it does what it's supposed to do, and it does it well. The only thing I'm planning, is either Steeda Motor Mounts, or that Torquelimiter thing. 'Cause sometimes at WOT it's binds between 1st and 2nd gear.

Quick Reply: What's the best shifter?