Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Thinking of getting a CAI, need advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 09:58 AM
BartSimpson
1st Gear Member

Default Thinking of getting a CAI, need advice

As the title of this post suggests, I do want to get a CAI as my first upgrade to my '06 GT. I know that there are a plethora of CAI's out there. After a lot of searching I have narrowed it down to two. I thinking about getting a Granatelli CAI or a K&N CAI and I was wondering which one of the two would be the better choice. I know that the Granatelli one claims to give 25 more RWHP and the K&N only about 15-17, however, I have read other posts that said that the Granatelli CAI may come with a bad sensor or something. I would like the extra 25hp but I don't want to have to deal with problems. I know some of you will suggest getting a CAI and a tune, but I do not want to have to get a tune which is exactly why I'm thinking of either the Granatelli or the K&N which don't require one. So which one should I get? Should I even bother spending money on a CAI,are they even worth it; or should I save that money for suspension upgrades instead? I have never had one on a car before and I am wary of pricey car gimics that don't work. So anybody that has one of these two systems I would love to hear what you have to say about them. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-06-2007, 10:27 AM
ski
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Thinking of getting a CAI, need advice

C&L has a"Street" CAI that can comes with an insert, which eliminates the need for a tune. I believe that it adds 17-19 rwhp. And if you ever decide to install a tune, then you justremovethe insert.
I installed the standard Street CAI without the insertin June, 2005, and have not had a single problem. It's been a rock solid, reliable product.

http://www.cnlperformance.com/notune.html
Old 10-06-2007, 10:32 AM
TheDarkPath
3rd Gear Member

When you see the numbers people put up with just a CAI and tune, most of the power increase is from the tune. The tune does more than just add power like changingshift points, especially if you have an autowhich is something else that really makes it a valuable mod. A CAI will help you but without a tune, it's hard to believe anyone gets 15rwhp with just a CAI.

If you're looking to spend 200-300 on a mod that won't require a tune, you may want to look more torwards an underdrive pulley or save a little more and get an aluminum driveshaft.

Why don't you want to get a tune? With a push of a buttom, you can return your car to the stock tune if needed (you'd have to replace the CAI with stock parts).
Old 10-06-2007, 10:34 AM
Mikes_BLK_GT
4th Gear Member

ur wasting money on those thats what I think...............Why dont u want a tune?

The GMS comes with a new mass air flow to allow for the increased air flow which is why you see a larger increase although 25 aint gonna happen(I'd bet closer to the 12-15 range if that). I wont buy anything GMS so my numbers are a guess but you'll never routinely see what these compaines claim. The K&N intake tube is pretty much the stock size so that is why you dont need to tune it for the extra airflow, 15-17 aint gonna happen. Airaid( as well as the C&L street)which is what I have has a retrictor that you remove when modded and tuned and nets you about 5-7hp w/o a tune which would be in line with the K&N.
Old 10-06-2007, 12:59 PM
ski
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TheDarkPath

When you see the numbers people put up with just a CAI and tune, most of the power increase is from the tune.
A 5.0 article on CAI testing for the S197 showed thata tuneadded 10 hp, and the tested CAI's added another 7-18 hp.
Old 10-06-2007, 01:27 PM
ski
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Mikes_BLK_GT

......you'll never routinely see what these compaines claim.

Airaid( as well as the C&L street)which is what I have has a retrictor that you remove when modded and tuned and nets you about 5-7hp w/o a tune.....
Different enginesproduce different dyno results when modded.

The following link says thatdifferent S197 owners who boughtthe C&L "No Tune Insert" CAIsaw gains ofapprox. 15 rwhp and a very safe 13:1 A/F ratio on the dyno:
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showpo...mp;postcount=2
Old 10-06-2007, 01:37 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

People believe that 5.0 article like its a bible.....its not!

a CAI without a tune isnt going to get you much more than 12 and maybe on SOME cars you MIGHT get 15 but the C&L will get you more than the K&N.

A tune might get you 15-18 HP and then a CAI might add another 10-12. Any mail order CAI and tune combo will be at 25-30 HP gained at the wheels. The "canned" tunes that come stock on the sct and diablo will get you a little less.

The tune is where most of the HP comes from pretty much in all cases. For the best results and most HP for your money...get a C&L/JLT/Steeda CAI with a Bamachips/Brenspeed/VMP tune...period, topic closed, move on with our lives
Old 10-06-2007, 06:41 PM
ski
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: howarmat

People believe that 5.0 article like its a bible.....its not!

a CAI without a tune isnt going to get you much more than 12 and maybe on SOME cars you MIGHT get 15 but the C&L will get you more than the K&N.

A tune might get you 15-18 HP and then a CAI might add another 10-12. Any mail order CAI and tune combo will be at 25-30 HP gained at the wheels. The "canned" tunes that come stock on the sct and diablo will get you a little less.

The tune is where most of the HP comes from pretty much in all cases. For the best results and most HP for your money...get a C&L/JLT/Steeda CAI with a Bamachips/Brenspeed/VMP tune...period, topic closed, move on with our lives
This topicwill not beclosed until you provide some proof to back up your empty statements.
Also, you vacillate between sounding definitive with comments like "it's not!", "isn't going to get you much more than", "will get you more than", "combo will be", and"will get you a little less" to sounding entirely uncertain with comments like "maybe onSome cars you might get", "might get you","might add another", and "pretty much in all cases", which makes it appear that you're not reallysure of or confident about what you're saying.
Old 10-06-2007, 07:44 PM
Bluestar
5th Gear Member

Lighten up Pal, Howarmat is a well respected member of this Forum, and he is entiltled to give you his opinions, wether you agree with them or not. That being said, there are several CAI Kits that don't require a tune. What you have to ask yourself is....why am I getting this CAI Kit, If the answer is, to get better performance out of your car. You MUST get a specific tune for your vehicle. In this new age, CAI/Tune Combo is Mustang 101. Have a nice Day.
Old 10-06-2007, 08:50 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

I dont know why i need to support my statement....there are plenty of other threads that will back it up but here you go anyway

Taken directly from SCT website, this is for their canned tune only, no cai

17HP from a slightly less aggressive tune they state. I would suspect a tune from Brenspeed would produce even more.

Now this is straight off of C&L website, Canned diablo tune for the CAI (This is what I started with and was not impressed by the way)

26 HP from CAI and Tune

As stated on he other board, Doug dynoed the C&L with no tune and got around 15..

So please tell me where I am wrong and have no backed up my statements.....

ps....the last line in my initial post was more of a joke since this topic is been beaten to death every single day....

Quick Reply: Thinking of getting a CAI, need advice