Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

everyone who has experienced gear whine please read

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 12:30 AM
lldsandsll
4th Gear Member

Default RE: everyone who has experienced gear whine please read

i have richmond 4.10's (see sig, lol). the first guy who put em in screwed up bad and i had all sorts of whine and rattle and the DS was vibrating the whole car, that's cuz he didnt use a press to get my bearings on, and also the depth was off .01. anyway, i took it to another guy who has worked w/ a lot of mustangs, and it came out much better. i still get whine 40-45 and 70-75 on accel, but ever since i went to full straight pipes i cant hear much of anything anymore. my second installer insisted that the tranny responds differently to different gear ratios so that is likely the cause of the whine. his track carwhines some too.he went ahead and changed my tranny fluid to full synthetic mobil 1. it did quite down some, but is still there a bit. im just living with it for now.

i wonder sometimes if some people just dont notice the whine, or cant hear it.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:50 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

My car whines on accel from 0-120, it's very annoying.
Old 10-11-2007, 07:48 AM
RED121572
4th Gear Member

Mine whine when making a turn. I just live with it.
Old 10-11-2007, 07:54 AM
s197richie
I ♥ Acer

I should've mentioned that 1. I have the stock 2 pc ds which may be a factor and 2. I have steeda non-adj. tubular rear upper and lower ca's, and the harder bushings may be transmitting more noise into the cabin than the factory ca's would, just like steel motor mounts would transmit more noise/vibration/harshness then the factory mounts.

Or maybe I'm just grasping at straws trying to justify the whine?

ps also the gears have been in for a couple thousand miles.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:35 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

ORIGINAL: desslok40

Sounds like most folks having issueare DIY, I feel this is not a mod fora shadetree mechanicto do in his garage at home !! LOL

Not the case at all.....almost everyone on here that has had gears installed did not do it themselves. There are like 5 people i know of that did the install themselves, and they are not the ones complaining about whine.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:44 AM
JMono
1st Gear Member

These are kind of threads that make me never want to remove my factory 3.55 ring and pinion. And this is exactly the reason I waited to find an '07 GT with the 3.55 option. If I could have got 3.73's from the factory, I would have done so.

I went from 3.27's to 4.10's in my last mustang and it was quiet for a about 2000 miles. However, it eventually began to whine. Sometimes they whine right away, sometimes it takes a few hard launches, and other times it just takes some break in time.

I do believe and ring and pinion swap can be performed without gear whine, however, very, very, very, few mechanics know how to complete the task. I had my last gear swap done at Ford and they still produced gear whine.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:09 AM
s197richie
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: JMono

These are kind of threads that make me never want to remove my factory 3.55 ring and pinion. And this is exactly the reason I waited to find an '07 GT with the 3.55 option. If I could have got 3.73's from the factory, I would have done so.

I went from 3.27's to 4.10's in my last mustang and it was quiet for a about 2000 miles. However, it eventually began to whine. Sometimes they whine right away, sometimes it takes a few hard launches, and other times it just takes some break in time.

I do believe and ring and pinion swap can be performed without gear whine, however, very, very, very, few mechanics know how to complete the task. I had my last gear swap done at Ford and they still produced gear whine.
unfortunately a gear swap is an awesome bang for the buck. five tenths off your 1320 for maybe 500 bucks out the door is quite the deal. Hell an intune/tuner might get you 30hp and .2 off your 1320 for about 700 bucks parts only. Shorties 500 bucks parts only for like 5hp. Throttle body 375 or so for 5hp. Pulleys 200 plus install for 5-7.

So it's very enticing but you have to take the good with the bad, the bad being the whine.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:23 AM
MexGT
5th Gear Member

I dont know if its that i'm used to it but i hardly ever notice whine.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:34 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JMono

I believe there are a lot that are capable, but just don't take the time to do it right. As I said I have no gear whine and i'm using the 2 piece driveshaft right now and it's been well over 3,000 miles. Of course I wouldn't here it now anyway when accelerating.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:55 AM
jbs07stang
1st Gear Member

Self installed gears here,no whine. It took me and friend of mine approx 6 hrs to install gears. It took 2 attempts to get rid of the whine. My car had a perfect pattern but whined, also had .010 on backlash. We removed .004 shim on pinion and used .029 on pininion instead of .033 and whine was gone. From my experience pinion depth is critical and few thousandths make all the difference.

Quick Reply: everyone who has experienced gear whine please read