Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

everyone who has experienced gear whine please read

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 06:55 PM
s197richie
I ♥ Acer

Default everyone who has experienced gear whine please read

Well it looks like my gears are whining. It's a whirring type noise between 40 and 75mph. Goes completely away above 75. Can be heard only upon throttle application. Zero noise when coasting/decelerating/braking. The guy at my work who always services the car says the pinion depth is off.

Now, today I drove an employee's 96 GT with a lot of gear whine, but his was primarily on deceleration and sounded like a doomsday whistle/fire truck siren, VERY pronounced at lower speeds, like 25-30mph or so, very noticeable when turning a corner or changing lanes, but all his shimming/pinion angle was checked and is correct.

I know the guy who did my gears had a hell of a time, but has installed quite a few gearsets in his time. My coworker says the problem may cause the ring and pinion to be damaged (if it was just annoying I could live with it). I am semi-anticipating a hard time from the original installer re: making good on the job, since it was a 5 hour or so job and like I mentioned he was really cursing the car out doing it.

So I guess my question is, what did everyone's gear whine sound like, what speeds etc, and did you have them reset or just lived with it? Thanks.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:01 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Default RE: everyone who has experienced gear whine please read

whats gear whine.....loud exhaust FTW!!!
Old 10-10-2007, 07:02 PM
s197richie
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: howarmat

whats gear whine.....loud exhaust FTW!!!
um no it's a totally different frequency trust me; I have the off road x and flowmasters and you can hear both simultaneously.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:04 PM
Wally39
4th Gear Member

I've been told that gear whine with 4.10's is normal. I get it sometimes, but it isn't bad.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:10 PM
T8Stanggt
3rd Gear Member

I've had it since my car hit about 1,00 miles I'm at 30 now
Old 10-10-2007, 07:13 PM
s197richie
I ♥ Acer

Wally and T8, what speeds and upon deceleration/acceleration etc?
Old 10-10-2007, 07:25 PM
T8Stanggt
3rd Gear Member

between 30 and 50 I hate it. I will take the vehicle to get looked at beforeI hit 36k. Been hearing about the issue every now and then sinceI bought my car..been meaning to ask the Stealership I'm sure I wont have any luck
Old 10-10-2007, 07:30 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

I have the same noise since at 2500 miles, now at 10,000. Had the gears changed twice, no help. Used Redline Heavy Shockproof gear oil, no help. Installed a Spydershaft, reduced the noise to only occuring in the 60-75 mph speeds instead of from 50mph up. Living with it now since I only hear it when the top is up, but it still sucks and makes you feel like you're driving a POS instead of a quality automobile. I mean Ford has been building this rear end for what, 50 years, and they still can't get it quiet? MAybe someday I'll change the gears out again, maybe dropping down to a 3.55, but I've got alot of plans for this car before that happens, just enjoying the ride for now.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:30 PM
s197richie
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: T8Stanggt

between 30 and 50 I hate it. I will take the vehicle to get looked at beforeI hit 36k. Been hearing about the issue every now and then sinceI bought my car..been meaning to ask the Stealership I'm sure I wont have any luck
deceleration or acceleration or both?
Old 10-10-2007, 07:31 PM
s197richie
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: drbobvs

I have the same noise since at 2500 miles, now at 10,000. Had the gears changed twice, no help. Used Redline Heavy Shockproof gear oil, no help. Installed a Spydershaft, reduced the noise to only occuring in the 60-75 mph speeds instead of from 50mph up. Living with it now since I only hear it when the top is up, but it still sucks and makes you feel like you're driving a POS instead of a quality automobile. I mean Ford has been building this rear end for what, 50 years, and they still can't get it quiet? MAybe someday I'll change the gears out again, maybe dropping down to a 3.55, but I've got alot of plans for this car before that happens, just enjoying the ride for now.
and what mph does it occur, and during accel/decel etc?

Quick Reply: everyone who has experienced gear whine please read