Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Underdrive Pulleys?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 08:48 PM
Beast
1st Gear Member

Default Underdrive Pulleys?

Ok guys, is there a difference in underdrive pulley's? I've noticed some manufacturers listing different hp increases. Which ones have you guys installed and what did you think? Thanks! By the way, just had my Steeda Ultralights put in and I'm having to go back. Lots of nocking and banging and I even replaced the strut mounts which was supposed to stop these things from happening. Thoughts?
Old 10-15-2007, 09:52 PM
Bluestar
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Underdrive Pulleys?

Steeda UDP's, no problems, had them for about two years.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:09 PM
Beast
1st Gear Member

Could you tell much difference when you installed them?
Old 10-16-2007, 02:46 AM
Bluestar
5th Gear Member

Hard for me to answer that one, cause I had 4.10 gears put in on the same day.
Old 10-17-2007, 06:53 AM
Beast
1st Gear Member

How about air conditioning? I live in the deep south and have to use the ac a lot. Did you notice it not being as cool?
Old 10-17-2007, 07:07 PM
shooter23
3rd Gear Member

No difference in driving or accessories when i installed mine...I went with Roush...but they are the same as Steeda and FRPP...just different box.

THere really have been no down side to the install...i didnt really notice a JUMP persay in horsepower...but i could feel the engine spinning a little easier...the revs climbed much better...

Good choice of parts to install...im happy with them...
Old 10-17-2007, 08:10 PM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

I noticed a nice gain with the UDPs

Only thing which could have been caused by something else is my car's battery went dead after not driving it for a week and a half. Had to jump the car. Since then it has sat for a week and fired right up so maybe it was something else.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:48 PM
Beast
1st Gear Member

Were they expensive to install?
Old 10-18-2007, 05:30 PM
jbs07stang
1st Gear Member

I noticed a small power increase. The engine will rev a little quicker and smoother. I do not have a price for install, I installed mine. It is a very easy install if you have impact wrench.
Old 10-19-2007, 03:48 PM
doctorj77
2nd Gear Member

Beast, I installed Steeda's on my car. Prior to the install I was turning 291rwhp and after the install 300rwhp. So there is a marginal gain. Remember, they don't add horsepower, just free up existing power. Plus I can feel a slight difference in 5th now, it feels to pull a little stronger.

To give you a perspective, my brother has a 04 GT. We race all the time whenever one of us does a new mod. Both cars were nearly equal in mods. Mine: CAI, Tune, exhaust, His, CAI, Tune, TB, and exhaust, plus a 3.90 gear. From a dig, he would get me, but only by half a car length. Once we both hit around 70mph, the 3v motor would take over and I would steadily pass. Once he put his UPDs, he would start to pull away from me at 70.

So kind of gives you an idea what they're capable of. I got mine off the classfieds, new for $135 shipped. If you shop and have patience people let them go for cheap occasionally. Worth every penny.

Quick Reply: Underdrive Pulleys?