Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

BURNT CLUTCH 2006 GT

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 04:28 PM
specialED

Default BURNT CLUTCH 2006 GT

So I was doing a burnout and went for second gear... Got the odiferous, ooh that's bad smell. [:@] It still drives fine, a little smoother actually. But I have noticed a little bit of chatter. I've only put maybe 100 miles on it since, and I'm guessing I won't get much more out of this clutch. The car's allready got 35,000 miles on it, it's still under warranty, but I don't think they'll cover a burnt clutch. All I've done to the drivetrain so far, is put a K&N cold air kit, Flowmaster cat-back and 255/45/17's on the rear. I'm considering replaceing the clutch, probably an upgrade. I'd like to do it myself. I'd like to know if anyone on here has done this yet, or at least pulled a manual trannie in a '05+ Mustang. I'm sure I'm not the first guy to burn a clutch in a new Mustang. Advice anyone?

[IMG]local://upfiles/82745/5BC156166F0149A4B96A973D096B2396.jpg[/IMG]
Old 10-22-2007, 10:23 PM
subzero05
1st Gear Member

Default RE: BURNT CLUTCH 2006 GT

Yep done it!. I put the new mcleod RST clutch in mine. Works great!. You can either get it with their flywheel or if yours is OK, you can bolt it to your stock flywheel which makes it less expensive overall. Plus, it will hold 800 hp all day long!
Old 10-23-2007, 01:07 AM
alloutt
4th Gear Member

the spec clutchs are popular and supposed to be the best. spec 2 or 2+ is good some people don't like the spec 3 for everyday driving
Old 10-23-2007, 07:09 PM
specialED

So why the mcloud? I was thinking about buying the Spec 2. How is it with everyday driving? Does it feel different than the factory clutch? I'm sure I can reuse the flywheel, even if it's a little scorched, I can just have it resurfaced. If I've got it torn that far apart, it wouldn't make sense not to. I'll look up the mcloud after I write this. I've only been under the car a couple of times. I've just got some ramps, no lift. How long did it take you? Did you need any help, or can I do it alone? Any special tools? I've checked out how to's on the fox bodies, and I've done it in other cars, but I was just wondering if you had any specific tips on our beloved 4.6 mustang.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:33 PM
specialED

I googled "mcleod RST" and looked at some of the results. The sites I looked at only went up to the '04 Cobra. I know that's a 4.6l motor, but are the the parts the same? I'm not even sure of the clutch specs. Diameter, how many splines, etc... Even if the parts are the same, I'd like to talk to someone who's done a clutch in an '05 or older Mustang GT. Looked like a good clutch kit though. I think Summit had it for about $350.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:53 PM
subzero05
1st Gear Member

No, parts are not the same and the new Mcleod RST is a brand new offering from them. You can save yourself some $$ by bolting their kit up to your existing flywheel and still holding up to 800 hp!.. Nobosy else offers that type of a kit with so much flexibility to use their flywheel or yours. Plus, I can tell you first hand the pedal pressure is LIGHTER than stock on my car.. NO JOKE!.. I was shocked
Old 10-24-2007, 01:31 PM
specialED

Do you know the part #?
Old 10-28-2007, 03:09 AM
scramblr
3rd Gear Member

You can use the stock f/w with the Centerforce Dual Friction clutch and no shims. Direct bolt-on. Or since you're at it, an additional $300 for a Fidanza aluminum f/w.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:41 AM
specialED

thanks scramblr. I was looking at jegs and they have the centerforce for 271.99 and the Fidanza aluminum flywheel for 348. Or as a kit, but the prices are the same. The centerforce aluminum flywheel is $619! I was leaning towards a spec 2 clutch kit, but now that I know a centerforce can be used with a stock flywheel, i think that's what i'm gonna go for. I haven't seen anything to justify spending A LOT more for the mcleod RST. i think they're about $650! and that's without a flywheel. i have the last week in november off work, so i'm just hopeing my factory clutch makes it till then. i'm pretty sure it will, i'll just have to drive like "normal" people do. lol i might find it a little cheaper somewhere else, but jegs has free shipping and i'm pretty close to they're wharehouse. everything i've ordered from them has been to my door in a day or two. last time i ordered from them at 10:00 pm on a Thursday, and the fed-ex truck was outside at 11:30am Friday! I love jegs! :-)

If there's anyone outhere reading this that's allready done their own clutch in an 2005+ Mustang GT. I'd love to talk to you. I'm sure it can't be that hard, but any heads up on any problems they had, would be greatly appreciated. I'll be sure to post my experiance as soon as i get to wrenchin'. :-)
Old 11-01-2007, 01:59 PM
iwannagofast
2nd Gear Member

What Rpm's are you getting chatter at? Just curious.

Quick Reply: BURNT CLUTCH 2006 GT