Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

automatics...20 questions lol

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 02:25 PM
Turbo_stangGT
I ♥ Acer

Default automatics...20 questions lol

what kind of gears is everyone running with autos and SCs?? Like turbos I am thinking a little taller then 4:10s..but not quite sure which ones?

This is going to be basically my city/travel car for the long haul..I have had a 5 speed it's proven to be kinda problematic,in spite of not having driving it hard or getting a stronger shift selector,bushings and rebuilt 3rd gear.Not planning on frying the converter by power braking with the auto or hard launches just want something that won't bust out or the clutch(not to mention the shifter)messing up in buttsfuct new mexico.Don't plan on dragging the car or racing any longer,just want something that will haul *** when dropping the hammer lol.

If I go 5 speed,I will most likely keep it NA,bolt ons,tunes and gears at the most.
With an auto though I would opt for building up the tranny lightly and also a supercharger with the stock block..just seems like a lot simpler imo.

Also what kind of top end are you all getting with the auto and gears? not planning to breaking any speed records but then again don't exactly want to be pulling hard like a freight train to 110 then falling flat on it's face or topping out at 120 lol...at least 150-155 if not more...

how much fun are the autos? with 430 lbs. trq on tap (SC) it should be more then enough power,especially with a converter and shift kit,gears.
Old 11-27-2007, 02:35 PM
Heavyg72
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: automatics...20 questions lol

I'm running 3.73 with my current set-up (in sig). I find them just about right given the power levels I'm hitting right now. I've had both manual and auto cars and like them both but this one with the torque is just a blast to drive. I would recommend upgrading the TC on the auto as it makes a huge difference even if you are not racing it. As far as top end with 3.73 I'm not really sure as I haven't tried. Hitting 115 was no problem but haven't pushed it much harder than that but it was still pulling.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:06 PM
zkiller
4th Gear Member

I have a 3.73 and it is great with the automatic. Mine is bulit by level 10.
I have had my car to 165 MPH with this gear.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:36 PM
Turbo_stangGT
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: zkiller

I have a 3.73 and it is great with the automatic. Mine is bulit by level 10.
I have had my car to 165 MPH with this gear.

cool,I was gonna get one of their 'bullet proof' trannys a few years ago..for like $5k lol.
So it's 4 speed then?? would be kinda cool with a 5 speed auto...unless it already is.

Holy crap! nice time at the track just seen your sig.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:03 PM
Turbo_stangGT
I ♥ Acer

how much power can the stock auto tranny handle and would it be enough with just a torque converter and gears? or are there some other parts I should look into? took a look at the level 10 trannies,even a level 1 w/trq converter is like $3k[&:].

Old 11-27-2007, 10:56 PM
Turbo_stangGT
I ♥ Acer

final question about the auto..is it still fun to drive while shifting it? or just flooring it?
Still amazed at how much the stock block makes with just adding a blower to it lol..the price is perfect as well.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:31 PM
Turbo_stangGT
I ♥ Acer

450whp on stock auto tranny is okay?

sweet.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:59 AM
Turbo_stangGT
I ♥ Acer

no more answors?
Old 11-29-2007, 07:49 AM
zkiller
4th Gear Member

No it is a 5R55S five speed tranny (same as stock) but just built with HP parts.

Stock tranny hold up to FI? Maybe or maybe not.... The tranny is definately not made to take 400+ pounds of torque and torque is what kills these trannies. Most commonly third gear goes on them.
Some guys have had luck with them holding up but I know at least twenty 5R55S trannies that died and almost all of them it was third gear. My third gear completely toasted and my car is not a daily driver. It sees limited use and had about 6000 miles on it when the tranny went. I was at about 445 RWHP and 419 RWTQ then but I am now running more boost and
I have had the Level 10 Stage III for a year. It has held up well at the track etc.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:55 AM
08Steeda
3rd Gear Member

I have a 4.10 now but was told by Steeda and Whipple to go with the 3.73's when I have my Whipple installed on my 08.

I run an automatic (for my wife)! Small concession so I could have my Steeda!

Quick Reply: automatics...20 questions lol