Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

anyone regret going with an auto?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 04:23 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Default RE: anyone regret going with an auto?

ORIGINAL: Turbo_stangGT

..with the auto I'd be much more 'civilized' when driving and less likely to get on it as much.
I have to question that logic a bit - it's just too easy to kick the auto down a gear (or two) when the only thing you have to do is stick your big right toe a little deeper into it (try telling me that you won'tcarry things a little further than necessary once a bunch more horses wake up). That's the flip side of not having to work quite as much on your way up through the gears.

I rarely drive a car with automatic myself, and don't see that changing any time soon (we are looking, with cash in hand). But I am aware ofwhat's going on mechanically/functionally when I'm riding in somebody else's car that is an automatic.

Norm
Old 01-23-2008, 06:19 PM
black S197
3rd Gear Member

No.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:43 PM
Austin@HCM
1st Gear Member

you see once you get to a certain power level tho, an auto cannot be beat....i continuously get flack for having an auto but plain and simple with a S/C it eliminates all talk cuz on the track autos are faster and also on the road considering u can shift into third with the new models so i still get the takeoff

[/align]
Old 01-24-2008, 01:15 PM
RedFire281
2nd Gear Member

I have my mind set on the auto but can't help but miss driving a 5 speed.I know it will be just as fast with mods and the planned SC but I will miss the power delivery and having the feel of control.
Though nothing beats an auto for comfort and ease of use.
I kinda want a 5 speed still because it's so much more fun to drive,especially with the gears but then again that's also a deterant to getting it..with the auto I'd be much more 'civilized' when driving and less likely to get on it as much.

Anyone regret getting an auto instead of the standard??
My first S197 was an 2006 auto that I bought in January of 06 and traded for a stick after only 7 months and over a grand in mods. Yes, I regretted getting an auto because even after some power adders, CAI/Tuneand appearance upgrades I always felt there was something missing in my relationship with the car. In the end I realized it was a certain intimacy; andit comes down to this appropriate quote by Tacobill in one of his writeups:

"There's only a few components in a car where the driver really connects with the machine. The steering wheel and pedals are a couple examples, but I think the shifter offers one of the greatest connections (right up there with the Go pedal) you can have with the car".

During daily driving in an auto, once in gear, your right hand and left foot loses all connection the the power and drive trains. IMHO, there is no greater fun factor than hearing the second rev as I double clutch to match the input and output shaft revolutions on a downshift. And what about the thrill of passing from first through fifth gears, like greased lightning, with perfect left foot-right hand coordination? With my auto, I felt like I had a co-driver; and worse, he was doing all the fun, sexy stuff - the computer. And when I came out ahead at the track, I'd always have to concede a part of the victory to that co-driver - the computer. For me, at least, I want to beat the driver in the next lane; matched skill for skill in as many categories as I can - reaction time, controlling the launch with both feet, not missing a gear, shift speed, at what RPMs, etc.- in an auto, some of this skill is handed over to the co-driver - the computer. And all other things being equal, if the guy in the next lane is an auto and I beat him ..... hehehe. JMHO.
Old 01-26-2008, 11:16 PM
ShadyNinja
4th Gear Member

test driving when it was stock,,,, I wasn't sure

but you cant choose options on used cars so it was the v8 auto or the v6 stick, you pick one

now with bama waking up the trans I love it.
on another note
my auto tragic with 3 mods , tune (bama 93 race) intake (c&l) and off road X pipe (bbk)
turned better times than a lot of the people here with the manual's here even with the gearing in their favor
Old 01-26-2008, 11:29 PM
Baddog
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: RedFire281

I have my mind set on the auto but can't help but miss driving a 5 speed.I know it will be just as fast with mods and the planned SC but I will miss the power delivery and having the feel of control.
Though nothing beats an auto for comfort and ease of use.
I kinda want a 5 speed still because it's so much more fun to drive,especially with the gears but then again that's also a deterant to getting it..with the auto I'd be much more 'civilized' when driving and less likely to get on it as much.

Anyone regret getting an auto instead of the standard??
My first S197 was an 2006 auto that I bought in January of 06 and traded for a stick after only 7 months and over a grand in mods. Yes, I regretted getting an auto because even after some power adders, CAI/Tuneand appearance upgrades I always felt there was something missing in my relationship with the car. In the end I realized it was a certain intimacy; andit comes down to this appropriate quote by Tacobill in one of his writeups:

"There's only a few components in a car where the driver really connects with the machine. The steering wheel and pedals are a couple examples, but I think the shifter offers one of the greatest connections (right up there with the Go pedal) you can have with the car".

During daily driving in an auto, once in gear, your right hand and left foot loses all connection the the power and drive trains. IMHO, there is no greater fun factor than hearing the second rev as I double clutch to match the input and output shaft revolutions on a downshift. And what about the thrill of passing from first through fifth gears, like greased lightning, with perfect left foot-right hand coordination? With my auto, I felt like I had a co-driver; and worse, he was doing all the fun, sexy stuff - the computer. And when I came out ahead at the track, I'd always have to concede a part of the victory to that co-driver - the computer. For me, at least, I want to beat the driver in the next lane; matched skill for skill in as many categories as I can - reaction time, controlling the launch with both feet, not missing a gear, shift speed, at what RPMs, etc.- in an auto, some of this skill is handed over to the co-driver - the computer. And all other things being equal, if the guy in the next lane is an auto and I beat him ..... hehehe. JMHO.
Couldn't have said it better myself...great post.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:04 PM
Novelty goat

I regretted not getting the auto in my '00 Z28. As fun as the stick was to drive, the pain in the *** factor and the maintenance factor (clutch) outweighed the good stuff. I just ordered an '08 GT with an auto.
Old 01-31-2008, 03:31 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Norm Peterson

I rarely drive a car with automatic myself, and don't see that changing any time soon (we are looking, with cash in hand).
It didn't change this time, so I won't be regretting. Now we're waiting.

Norm
Old 01-31-2008, 10:42 PM
ChiDiddy
4th Gear Member

nope. no regrets
Old 02-01-2008, 01:20 AM
Blue07GT
2nd Gear Member

Nope, i love my auto. It is one of the fastest shifting auto's i've ever driven. It will never miss a gear.

People give me **** when i race them, because they always give the excuse that "its not fair, you don't have to shift". Well, it's not my fault your racing a car you can't drive.

Quick Reply: anyone regret going with an auto?