Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

longtube installation

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 11:20 PM
jonnystang08
1st Gear Member

Default longtube installation

For any whom have installed these: can the intermediate mechanic install these? I'm mechanically inclined and adapt easilly. Are there any tricks to installing the long tube headers on the 07? I recall back in the 04 mustangs you had to jack the motor or drop the k-member.
Old 12-02-2007, 11:58 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Default RE: longtube installation

Depends on which brand you have. Most LTs for the S197 require you to remove the motor mounts and jack up the engine about an inch. It's not a difficult job mechanically speaking, but the clearance issues make the job a tedious pain in the ***.
Old 12-03-2007, 11:44 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

depends on if you are using a lift or not.....that makes all the difference in the world.
Old 12-03-2007, 06:53 PM
jayel579
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: howarmat

depends on if you are using a lift or not.....that makes all the difference in the world.
Lift!? You don't need a lift, a chair is all you need!!

[IMG]local://upfiles/56911/37EA8EDDFB6842C0B0287019FCB2B303.jpg[/IMG]
Old 12-03-2007, 07:13 PM
sweetlou69
2nd Gear Member

so what are the power gains difference between long tube and shorties??????
Old 12-03-2007, 10:18 PM
jonnystang08
1st Gear Member

LOL! that's awesome...i'll do that with my brand new stang...won't scratch a thing!

I do have a complete car lift and the lift itself has a jack with two adjustable arms underneath it.

Hmmm doing a little research and it appears that longtubes kill the emissions... I live on Long Island in NY...we are just as bad as California when it comes to emissions. If there isn't a long tube header that passes emissions i guess i need to change this into a....shortie header install lol. Was checking out the JBA LT's because they have an Catted H to match up to it. Everyone seems to sell the X-pipe with it but i'm H-pipe all the way. Just love the sound. Besides I plan on going SLP Loud Mouths. I hear the X-pipe sounds like trash. But even if it didn't, i'm true to the H-pipe.

So anyone know any emissions legal LT's? with catted H?

Recommended shorties?
Old 12-04-2007, 12:31 PM
iwannagofast
2nd Gear Member

X-Pipes make more power!!!!!!!! But if you want H then by all means its your car. Dont waste your time with shorties the power gain isnt much and you might hear a little difference from stock. If you do go LTs plan on spending about 8 hours on the install. Its not a difficult install just very tedious.
Old 12-04-2007, 06:58 PM
JB_Sonic_197
1st Gear Member

Depending on the shorties, (equal length) the install is the same for long tubes. It is a pain in the a$$ for either one. I've installed LT's on mine own car and JBA ST's on a friends, either way you have to raise the engine, remove the mounts and unbolt the rack and pinion from the K-member, drop the starter... 8 hours is about right if you're an a$$ kicker at turning wrenches!

The out come...10-20 hp (with a tune), LT's and X-pipe $1300 for 20hp is not money well spent! buy a bottle!

PS, I did the long tubes on a lift, shorties on jack stands. Either way same time under the car at least 8 hours...
Old 12-04-2007, 07:27 PM
iwannagofast
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JB_Sonic_197

Depending on the shorties, (equal length) the install is the same for long tubes. It is a pain in the a$$ for either one. I've installed LT's on mine own car and JBA ST's on a friends, either way you have to raise the engine, remove the mounts and unbolt the rack and pinion from the K-member, drop the starter... 8 hours is about right if you're an a$$ kicker at turning wrenches!

The out come...10-20 hp (with a tune), LT's and X-pipe $1300 for 20hp is not money well spent! buy a bottle!

PS, I did the long tubes on a lift, shorties on jack stands. Either way same time under the car at least 8 hours...
Yes its only 20 or so hp youll get from just LTs but where they pay off is other mods such as supercharger, cams, p/p heads and so on etc...ect... And yes bottle feeding your baby will bring more power with less money but with headers youll be able to get more power from the bottle.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:38 PM
jonnystang08
1st Gear Member

Trust me...i want LT's.... but they say on the product that they aren't emissions legal...isn't that true? anyone from California or New York that has them on year round and pass emissions?

LT's to me speak raw power! and they look mean! someone looks under the hood and goes....aaaahhh mudd LT's! what else does this guy have?