Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Power steering failure GT 08

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 03:44 PM
TheChad

Default Power steering failure GT 08

I hope I am in the right spot this time. Ok I bought my son a 08 GT, beautiful car. Power steering went out, before the pump could come in, (I was assured it was safe to drive without proper power steering) he had an accident. Car died not even a week after getting it back. It just stopped running while he was driving it. Another accident. Has anyone else had these problems. His computer is all messed up. I don't know what to do. Any advice.
Old 12-20-2007, 03:54 PM
1987MustangGT5.0
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Power steering failure GT 08

Here's some advice: get your son out of such a powerful car since he obviously doesn't know how to drive.
Old 12-20-2007, 04:00 PM
thaztrain35
2nd Gear Member

lol.... myne seems fine and im 17 so.. lol.. but i know ur not supposed 2 turn the wheel ALL the way or it starts 2 whine a little
Old 12-20-2007, 04:01 PM
TheChad

wrong he knows how to drive very well acutally. The dealership admitted that the car is not all it should be. He happened to be avoiding a very large vehicle coming at him on the wrong side of the road when the power steering failed. By the way he was on the right side of the road. He was not even cited by the police.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:52 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

When I was a teenager, I gave my parents wierd excuses for the two accidents I got in. I could tell that they only believed me because they WANTED to believe me.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:58 PM
noober
3rd Gear Member

And this one is about as weird as they come, next to dodging an invisible cow.

Reference:

ORIGINAL: nineinchnail1024

When I was a teenager, I gave my parents wierd excuses for the two accidents I got in. I could tell that they only believed me because they WANTED to believe me.
ORIGINAL: TheChad

wrong he knows how to drive very well acutally. The dealership admitted that the car is not all it should be. He happened to be avoiding a very large vehicle coming at him on the wrong side of the road when the power steering failed. By the way he was on the right side of the road. He was not even cited by the police.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:23 AM
A_J
2nd Gear Member

Well if the car randomly quits and the computer is bugging out, take in in for warranty work, no? Or is the car modded to the point that they may not honor the warranty?
Old 12-21-2007, 11:59 AM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

Not clear on the sequence of events here. Is it the following? - PS fails, took to Dealer who says drive it, son drives it and has accident, son drives again, motor fails, has 2nd accident

- OR -

Son drives, PS fails, accident, took to Dealer who says continue to drive, drive again, motor fails, 2nd accident

Either way there are clearly two car related issues: the PS and the motor failing (which you seem to think is due to the computer). Could the motor failing/computer issue be due to the first accident?

What you can do probably depends on answers to the above questions. I think its clear the dealer must replace the PS under warranty. But the computer? thats debatable, if it's issues were cause by the accident than no. If unrelated then yes, dealer should warranty. Also thereare possible liability issues if you can prove dealer told you to drive an unsafe car (no PS). That would be for lawyers to hash out.

Since you didn't mention otherwise I assume your son is alright - thats the most important thing. How much damage to the car with these two accidents?