Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Auto-Manual Switch

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 02:36 AM
StangBang117

Default Auto-Manual Switch

Help! I need advice on what to do about my auto!
I recently became the owner of a new 2008 Alloy Clearcoat Metallic GT Premium. Unfortunately, it is an automatic. I really, really would like a manual, but am having trouble abandoning my color and am reluctant to move to earlier model years. Anyone have advice?
Old 12-27-2007, 05:20 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Default RE: Auto-Manual Switch

First- Welcome to the forum and you could have ordered the color you wantedina stick w/ alloy clearcoat metallic paint. Many people feel they can only get what the dealer has in stock.....so not true and any dealer can get you what options you want if you can wait for delivery of your optioned stang from the factory. I did that with mine and was worth the wait! JMO but everyones situation is different Later J Or you can convert it for a whole lot of money ....
Old 12-27-2007, 08:30 AM
killbee
1st Gear Member

Get a tuner like the Diablo or SCT and a good tune from Brenspeed or Bamachips. The tunes change your shifts and give you more HP. I thought the same thing when I first got mine but after getting the SCT X3 from Doug at Bamachips and his performance tune I've never looked back.With the tune it shifts harder and faster than I ever could with a manual when I'm getting on it. But driving normally in traffic its still smooth and no tired clutch leg. Plus I love to see the looks on peoples faces when I grab rubber on the 1st to second shift and the 2nd to3rd shifts. If I run it hard enough it will even chirp the 3rd to 4th change. Lots of fun with less effort, give it a try before you decide.
Old 12-27-2007, 09:31 AM
RED121572
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: StangBang117
I really, really would like a manual, but am having trouble abandoning my color and am reluctant to move to earlier model years. Anyone have advice?
LOL.....Im sorry, this post made me giggle. You really didnt think this through before buying the car, did you. LOL

As mygt500 stated, you can convert it for an azz load of moneyor trade it in for a five speed. Good luck!
Old 12-27-2007, 10:46 AM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

You should have bought what you wanted the first time around.
Old 12-27-2007, 03:16 PM
stiggy
1st Gear Member

if you can wait for delivery of your optioned stang from the factory. I did that with mine and was worth the wait!
your car is black right? what dealership doesnt have a black car on the lot?

a takeoff manual tranny goes for about 600$ plus a bunch of other stuff. You might as well keep the auto cause either way youre gunna lose money ant time, or money and a used car.
Old 12-27-2007, 03:53 PM
ADudeInNewJersey
3rd Gear Member

Just enjoy it... I do... I wanted a manual due to the fact taht I grew up on it... But with the tune It feels just like it.... Like have a clutchless manual (lol) .... sorta..... put it this way... Your foot won't die out on you in traffic and you don't have to worry about gettin a new clutch... [8D]

-John
Old 12-27-2007, 04:45 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Just go to your dealer and say you are interested in a trade-in for a car exactly like yours now but with a manual. They'll probably be able to find one at another dealer and have it shipped to your dealer.

I'm actually thinking of doing the same thing. I really want a manual now and converting it supposedly is problematic and never quite right from what I hear. I know it will make the part of my drive that's stop and go traffic a pain but I think it's worth it (I hate stopping on hills worse than stop-and-go traffic). I have to go in and out with the clutch and gears on my bike and it doesn't bother me that bad. I also don't like how the auto gives you less HP at the wheels and lessens your gas mileage a little more. Plus, supercharging is harder on the stock auto/torque conv than the stock clutch/manual. Notice how the 500HP Ford Racing (whipple) super charger kit says "MANUAL ONLY."

My auto also makes these weired noises between 40 to 70 mph when I let off the gas and back on. It makes a SHH SHH sound and I can't seem to get Ford to figure out what the problem is. That's another reason why I want to trade.
Old 12-27-2007, 06:16 PM
desslok40
3rd Gear Member

I test drove both (auto-maual) extensively before buying and found the manual a pain to get into second when really getting on it,

this was after driving 3 brand new manuals, I do a ton of in-town driving and lots of traffic so a no brainer for me, AUTO.

As far as 1/4 mile racing , I love the AUTO for consistency and performance, getting a torque converter installed soon and will be

easily in the 12s with only tune/CAI/Gears/LCAs/stall.

Thats good enough for me, if you aren't going to mod I think a manual would be the way to go as it does perform better stock than

the AUTO. If you want better in town performance turn off Overdrive, the trans shifts into 5th way to early in my opinion.

Good Luck, either way you got a kick A** car !!!

Old 12-27-2007, 06:18 PM
stiggy
1st Gear Member

Notice how the 500HP Ford Racing (whipple) super charger kit says "MANUAL ONLY."
The other companies make them for autos, it is probably just a precaution since it is theirs and would make them look bad if their own supercharger broke a mustang. Are any fordracing performance mods extreme?....didn't think so.

My auto also makes these weired noises between 40 to 70 mph when I let off the gas and back on.
manuals also make a lot of noise and you are crazy/possibly retarted of you think a dealership will just exchange for the same car like yours...Its just not worth it. Get a manual when you convert your car to an all out racer with a new engine. BEsides, i sometimes want an auto when im not in my spirited driving mood. I dont have bluetooth, or three arms while in city traffic.

Quick Reply: Auto-Manual Switch