Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

BBK Headers Install?..

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 07:09 PM
Witte 05
1st Gear Member

Default BBK Headers Install?..

I'm looking at doing some BBK shorty headers from Brenspeed but I would love to see a "Taco Bill" write up on these but I don't see any for headers install...anybody done these and could do a write up or steer me in the right direction?...
Old 01-07-2008, 12:50 PM
bkmagby
1st Gear Member

Default RE: BBK Headers Install?..

I would like to see an instructional post on this as well.
Old 01-07-2008, 01:27 PM
BFMacias
2nd Gear Member

I installed some long tube BBK's on my GT. It was a real easy install needing not much more then a lift and 2 screwjacks. Youmust unbolt the k member and let her hang with somelonger bolts. Unbolt the engine mounts and take them out. Raise the engine up with 1 screw jack and have the otherscrew jack hold the rear of the engine in place. you should have plenty of room now to manage the header swap. you don't need to move anything else out of the way. At least i didn't with a 5 speed.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:26 PM
GT Bob
3rd Gear Member

I just did a set of BBK shorties. The directions provided by BBK are pretty spot on... However, I did look at the write up done here : http://www.mustangmonthly.com/techar...ers/index.html

It was pretty helpful and gave a couple of tips to help me out. OVerall tho, I followed the directions from the BBK headers.. Here's a couple pieces of advice I will add:

1. The following tools are all but manditory IMO:
5, 8, 10, 13, 15 mm sockets, both normal and deep as well as extentions (enough to reach maybe 9" or so), as well as a 3/8" normal socket (the Header bolts BBK gives are this size, not metric.)
the same sizes in wrenches, preferably the type that the box end ratchets
One of those universal joint type bends for a ratchet, two if you have them
jack stands
Floor Jack

2. You will be removing the steering arm, both motor mounts, and the starter. The starter is 3 bolts and there was no need for me to disconnect the wiring. It was far enough out of the way just unbolted. The steering arm is two bolts, one at the top and one at the bottom. When you remove the steering arm, make sure you do not move the steering wheel.

3. The motor mounts are nothing to remove.. one nut from the chasis, and 4 bolts from the block. Don't let the idea od removing them intimidate ya. Just do them one side at a time.

4. Take your time... It's not a hard job, but it is involved and time consuming. Make sure that you have some help doing this. 2 people is ideal, even if one of them is nothing more than a "go-fer" or to hold a part in place while you start a nut.

5. Expect to spend all day on the project. Like I said, its not a hard job, but it does take some time.

6. The studs for where the collectors bolt to the mid pipe.. screw them all the way in before trying to tighten any nuts onto them. The drives side you can do before you put it on the car, but the passenger side I could not make fit with them on, and had to put them on once they were on the car.

7. Take a minute and look at the headers befoer you begin bolting them on. In some cases, you will have ALOT easier time using the stock studs instead of the header bolts supplied with the kit. Other times, it's much simpler to use the bolts. Take a minute and look at the headers and you'll easily see what I mean. The stock studs are re-useable, and so are the nuts.. I checked with Ford.

If you have any specific questions, fire away. I'll answer what I can.
Old 01-07-2008, 07:47 PM
Witte 05
1st Gear Member

Thanks, very helpful!...
Old 01-07-2008, 08:43 PM
Bluestar
5th Gear Member

I had JBA Shorties Installed. The Mechanic's at my local Mobil Station did them for me. One of them worked at a Midas Muffler Shop, for about 5 years before getting a job at this Station. They did this Job as a coutesy for me 'cause I give them a Lot of work (Auto-Wholesaler). I dropped the Car off came back 3 hours later and they looked like this...... Bottom line, even though it's just a swap of exhaust manifolds, it's NOT as easy as you would be led to believe by reading the Box.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:08 AM
bkmagby
1st Gear Member

Thanks for great info!
Old 01-08-2008, 02:58 PM
GT Bob
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL:

it's NOT as easy as you would be led to believe by reading the Box.
If my post gave the impression that it was easy, I'm sorry... because I do 100% agree with Bluestar's assessment of the mechanics at the end. The fact that they did it in 3 hours says alot in fact... took me like 10 or so by myself, and at the end, I barely wanted to look at the car, at least until I test drove it.

It's a long, tedious, involved job that gets nerve wracking. That is what makes the job hard. I mean, as far as turning bolts and stuff, I think it's something like 17 bolts on the drivers side, 18 on the passengers side and 4 at the rear of the mid-pipe, all that you remove and put back on... none of them are too serious. The hard parts are the cramped space and the fact that you'll be under the car, then on top, then under, then over, and so on... and figuring out which socket/wrench/etc will work best there, with what extention and what ratchet... In other words, all the parts that make the automotive hobby so much fun!
Old 01-09-2008, 04:25 PM
Witte 05
1st Gear Member

The one thing left I would like to know from the guys who have done this mod is....Was it worth it?.....what kind of difference did it make?....noticible?...right know I am running an 05 GT with hurst, flowmaster axle backs, BBK CAI and Brenspeed 93 tune....So I have opened her up on the induction side I figured it would make sense to open the exhuast up some...Limited budget and $300 doesn't sound to bad...
Old 01-10-2008, 11:17 PM
BFMacias
2nd Gear Member

With my experience of installing LT BBK's disconnecting the starter is unnecessary. It took my brother and I 5 hours or so. It really is straight forward even with out instructions. Really bro you just need a lift and 2 screwjacks (that being because these are harder to come by rather than tools you should already have to complete the job).

Quick Reply: BBK Headers Install?..