Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

auto trans mods?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 10:05 PM
Thief_of_Hearts
I ♥ Acer

Default auto trans mods?

aside from a tuner and torque converter ,what other mods should be done to the auto tranny
to get the most power to the ground??? not buying a built tranny or spending more then $2k
in mods for it either lol.Just need something that will last for the long haul as well as hard launches everynow and then. Also,where do they sell input shafts (?) and whatever needs to be done for
3rd gear?

Are the spyder shafts and lightweight flywheel also nessessary or do they even have those for the auto?? (retarded question?? lol)

are you guys doing anything to the suspension/rear set up to make it handle more torque off the line for better launches??
Old 01-08-2008, 12:52 PM
Heavyg72
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: auto trans mods?

I would look at the deep plan for the trans to hold more fluid. I had it installed when the supercharger was installed. More fluids help keep temps down a bit but the best thing is that is provides a dipstick to check the fluid levels.

For 3rd gear there is not much to do outside of building up the tranny. I had the tuner back the shift pressures off of 3rd gear a bit to help with wear.

IfI'm not mistaken theSpydershaft is theone that works well for the autos.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:00 PM
Thief_of_Hearts
I ♥ Acer

kewls..sounds like a plan! with that tuner are you also able to tune your launch rpm as well as
tuning the torque converter or are they different functions involved for those functions?

what do you mean by turning down the pressure in 3rd?? does it effect performance at all?

Old 01-08-2008, 11:28 PM
BillyBobJoe
4th Gear Member

a flywheel is a good mod to do with the tq conveter since they are attached,lol. A nice alluminum flywheel will make a good difference. But basically what Heavy said is the thing to do
Old 01-09-2008, 12:43 AM
Thief_of_Hearts
I ♥ Acer

kewls.The more and more I think about it..a moded automatic ,with a tune.gears and supercharger may be the way to go.Admitingly, 5 speed and gears,full bolt seems like alot of fun..but really,when it comes to a good ammount of power(450+whp) and getting it all to the ground,an automatic just may be the best bet..I may not be all there in terms of how I feel about it being the right choice but I know it'll end up being the better one in spite of whatever doubts I may be having...