Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

My motor is being rebuilt, can you help identify the cause of the problem?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 01:37 PM
mattsimonton
2nd Gear Member

Default My motor is being rebuilt, can you help identify the cause of the problem?

last week I took my car in for a cylinder one misfire P0301 code. I replaced all the plugs and the problem persisted and I took it in to Mike Murillo Motorsports in San Antonio. They said a ring lance was lifting on my piston and it is only a mater of time before I loose the motor. So it has been there a week and they dismantled the motor and found that #1 piston is bad and #2 cylinder wall has a little groove in it. The machine shop is going to see if they can re-hone the cylinder and use the same size pistons or punch it and use bigger pistons. I am curious to why this happened to a forged motor from Johnny Lightning Performance with only 10k on it. I am running a Kenne bell supercharger with the tune that came with it (murillo is going to Dyno tune it after the motor is rebuilt) We lost the stock motor 3 days after the supercharger was installed. (2 pistons out the bottom) Kenne bell did not take any responsibility on the first motor nor will they on the second. We are thinking it was a faulty tune and the guys at Murillo motorsports think so aswell. what do you guys think?

motor #1 blew at 10k
motor #2 in the shop at 10 k

Both motors had virtually no hard miles. Car has never and will never be raced.
Old 01-12-2008, 01:38 PM
mattsimonton
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: My motor is being rebuilt, can you help identify the cause of the problem?

Kb system at 8 psi
Old 01-12-2008, 02:14 PM
ebr
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: My motor is being rebuilt, can you help identify the cause of the problem?

What fuel rails are on the car ?
Old 01-12-2008, 02:25 PM
FrostByte
5th Gear Member

Some thing wrong there, definatly. I wouldnt let the same people repair it that built/tuned it, espacially if they arnt warranting their work.
Best of luck w/ the repair. Please keep us posted.
Old 01-12-2008, 02:52 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

i think a custom dyno tune is a great idea.

don't loan your car out to friends.

i hope it works out this time around.

ORIGINAL: mattsimonton

We are thinking it was a faulty tune and the guys at Murillo motorsports think so aswell. what do you guys think?

motor #1 blew at 10k
motor #2 in the shop at 10 k

Old 01-12-2008, 02:52 PM
cleggyone

Some one needs to tune that thing, get it on a loaded dyno and tune the whole fuel and ignitiontable.I agree that the same people that won't warranty it, shouldn't be building it again, doing the exact same thing over and over again, and not only expecting different results, but better ones is INSANITY!
Old 01-12-2008, 03:06 PM
CataclysmGT
4th Gear Member

Ouch, thats a lot of money out of pocket. Good luck with the (2nd) rebuild.
Old 01-12-2008, 08:09 PM
mattsimonton
2nd Gear Member

The first motor was built by Johnny Lightning performance. This one is at Murillo Motorsports in San Antonio. The tune was the Kennebell flash tune, came with the supercharger. Never have and never will loan it out to friends. (hammeron)

Old 01-12-2008, 09:53 PM
CataclysmGT
4th Gear Member

the 22 - 25 degree timing of the KB tune could be the culprit, especially if your gasoline available didnt quite match spec.
Old 01-12-2008, 09:58 PM
mpatilla
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mattsimonton

Both motors had virtually no hard miles. Car has never and will never be raced.
If you don't drive any hard miles and you don't race, why do you have a specially built supercharged GT? I don't understand the logic.

Quick Reply: My motor is being rebuilt, can you help identify the cause of the problem?