Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Roush Supercharger Advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 07:51 AM
philip_paas

Default Roush Supercharger Advice

I was thinking of getting a Roush Supercharger for my 08 GT. I know there are higher powered SC out there but I want something that will maintain a factory warranty. My questions are 1. will this harm my warranty in any way. 2. About how much should I expect to pay for an install.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:52 AM
exx1976
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Roush Supercharger Advice

Advice on the Roush Supercharger?

Don't buy it.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:46 AM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

The Roush SC is definitely behind Whipple, KB, and Saleen as far as performance goes. But if you are looking to maintain the factory warranty, Roush now makes a 445 hp Roushcharger that would probably net you around 390 - 400 rwhp. The only catch is that an authorized Roush Ford Dealer must make the install for the warranty to be valid.

I wouldn't have a problem with the Roushcharger if I was only looking for ~400 rwhp and it was priced lower. But at the same price point as the others mentioned, I would seriously consider forgoing the warranty for the additional performance.

Just my 2 cents...
Old 01-30-2008, 10:06 AM
RedFire281
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jdmcbride

The Roush SC is definitely behind Whipple, KB, and Saleen as far as performance goes. But if you are looking to maintain the factory warranty, Roush now makes a 445 hp Roushcharger that would probably net you around 390 - 400 rwhp. The only catch is that an authorized Roush Ford Dealer must make the install for the warranty to be valid.

I wouldn't have a problem with the Roushcharger if I was only looking for ~400 rwhp and it was priced lower. But at the same price point as the others mentioned, I would seriously consider forgoing the warranty for the additional performance.

Just my 2 cents...
+1. Auto manufacturers have a vested interest in using roots type blowers - fewer moving parts which translate into more predictable reliability, which by extension means lower maintenance costs - for you and the manufacturer/dealership. If your future plans include making big HP (450+ rwhp) there are a couple of downsides to the Roush S/C. First, because roots blowers do not make internal compression they will never have the POTENTIAL of twin screws orcentrifugals. Second, of the three types ofblowers,the rootshasthe poorest adiabatic efficiency because of leakage blow back through the input shaft. And it is generally accepted that heat is the biggest killer of engines and HP. At a reasonable HP level (400 rwhp), the upside, besides maintenance and reliability costs, is that, like twin screws,roots blowers make boost almost immediately and are at full boost often at 1800 to 2000 rpm. All other things being equal, from streetlight to streetlight, IMO a centrifugal with slightly bigger HP would know he was in a dogfight. And as jdmcbride stated, Roush will pick up the remainder of your 3/36 driveline warranty which is a big consideration for a lot of folks.

So after all is said and done it seems to me to come right down to personal driving preference and yourgoals for the car. Remember, there are a lot of folks out there who are perfectly happy making as much HP as possible with just bolt-ons and no forced induction.

IMO, I would have bought a Roush for the pros stated above butI think most people will agree that the current technology and potential for upgrading your car does not favor roots type blowers.

Just my .02

Thanks, John
Old 01-30-2008, 11:00 AM
ufnavy06
1st Gear Member

I was in the same boat... Roushcharger for the warranty purposes... but seeing as I have less than 10000k left on the warranty, the more I get the hots for KB or a Whipple.... should I decide to go FI. I'm contemplating that right now.
Old 01-30-2008, 04:25 PM
blackS197
4th Gear Member

Go Big or go Home!
Old 01-30-2008, 04:59 PM
EricM
2nd Gear Member

I'm pretty sure Saleen will pick up the remainder of your warranty if you have their SC installed at an authorized place, so don't settle for the Roush just for that.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:59 PM
reeflover
2nd Gear Member

I bought amy 06 with a authorized dealer Roush installer. I went the same route wanted to not have to worry if antything broke just take it in and no worries. If you would be happy with less than 400 at the wheels go for it. With the 415hp kit from Roush a full exhaust with cat delete and a cold air with custom tune I was at 370rwhp and at that point I had voided my Roush warranty by the fullexhaust and altering the preprogramed tune.Their 445 kit would probally get you close to that number without the exhaust and tune. The Roush system is a great system but it just does not make much power compared to twin screws or centrifiguls. If big power is your game, stay away from Roush. If fun and reliable is what you want, Roush or Saleen can't be beat. By the way you can make a Roush charged car fast. I am currently at 440/446 rwhp. It has just taken a ton of cash to do so and I alsodo not have anywarranty.

[IMG]local://upfiles/75574/822B90EC9D944D9F9E50B128679ADBF4.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/75574/5F28FFA490EF4484A53A361E0FDDECF2.jpg[/IMG]
Old 01-30-2008, 11:39 PM
SD05GT
3rd Gear Member

Yeah I would go Saleen over Roush too. Suppost to be much better. Did you ever considered Factory Fords HO Supercharger? Its identical to the whipples ( i think ford and whipple share technology) and for sure that would keep warranty.

www.fordracingparts.com
Old 01-30-2008, 11:56 PM
robsirish

i purchased the saleen for my 07 with the 475hp kit. had it installed at saleen in mich. and they warranty it for 3/36 or until your car hits those #'s. if you have an authorized dealer install the saleen its 12months 12,000 miles warranty only. but you must keep the saleen tune.
love my saleen sc!

Quick Reply: Roush Supercharger Advice