Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Long tube headers

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 08:21 AM
Penance
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Long tube headers

From what i understand, the stock manifold in our car is really really adequate unless u have a ton of horsepower made with a blower, and even then u only gain up to 25 hp. Im a huge borla fan and i was gonna get the whole header x-pipe combo. Borla puts a TON of money in R&D, and i consider them to be the best at exhaust products (in my humble opinion), for sound, quality and performance. The drawback is that they are by far the most expensive. Basically u get what u pay for. Anyway, ive decided to just go with the Borla x-pipe and not the headers. U can get Pypes x-pipe for about $110.00 shipped, Ford racing for about $155 shipped and Borla for $250 shipped. Im gonna do it in the summer cause it is CRAZY cold here in OHIO....later
Old 02-12-2008, 10:42 AM
OrangeGTCS
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Penance

From what i understand, the stock manifold in our car is really really adequate unless u have a ton of horsepower made with a blower, and even then u only gain up to 25 hp.
25HP is a pretty nice improvement if you ask me. Not to mention the sound, O' the sweet sound
Old 02-13-2008, 09:56 AM
Larmo
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: OrangeGTCS
25HP is a pretty nice improvement if you ask me. Not to mention the sound, O' the sweet sound
What would you describe the sound effect of LT are? Do they just make things louder while not changing the pitch/tone? Or do they indeed change the pitch/tone?
Old 02-13-2008, 10:18 AM
OrangeGTCS
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Larmo

ORIGINAL: OrangeGTCS
What would you describe the sound effect of LT are? Do they just make things louder while not changing the pitch/tone? Or do they indeed change the pitch/tone?
Yes the sound is louder ( i also have the high flow cats and H-pipe, so you get a deeper tone), Sounds more like a muscle car. Not so much at idle but when you get into it, you can hear it. Check out the clips on youtube.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:27 AM
BLKNED

Sound is the main reason I want them. Also my Mustang will be my dd and I want more power but it must stay n/a. I'm not scared to install them myself, I have been turning wrenches for a few years now.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:09 PM
OrangeGTCS
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BLKNED

Sound is the main reason I want them. Also my Mustang will be my dd and I want more power but it must stay n/a. I'm not scared to install them myself, I have been turning wrenches for a few years now.
You should be fine then. Plan onittake about 8 hours or so. I spread it over 2 days so I wouldn't get burnt out. Good luck!!!
Old 02-13-2008, 12:17 PM
Penance
1st Gear Member

I meant 20-25 horsepower WITH a supercharged or turbo engine. By all means if money is no option, or if u plan on getting a sc or turbo later it might be worth the money. In real world terms, if one doesnt have a charged engine he/she should expect MAX 4-7 hp(maybe), its a bit pricey for that gain in my opinion. However, if one just wants the pure sound gain >>>>>>go for it!
Old 02-13-2008, 12:57 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Penance
I meant 20-25 horsepower WITH a supercharged or turbo engine. By all means if money is no option, or if u plan on getting a sc or turbo later it might be worth the money. In real world terms, if one doesnt have a charged engine he/she should expect MAX 4-7 hp(maybe), its a bit pricey for that gain in my opinion. However, if one just wants the pure sound gain >>>>>>go for it!
I'm curious where you are getting your info from. Some of the comments about the pittiful HP gains with long tubes got me curious so I did a bit of searching around on the net. I came across the following. It a clip showing before and after dyno results from the installation of Kooks longtubes into a supercharged Saleen. It was done at JDM in NJ (they are a well respected shop). Here is the bottom line:

N/A - the Kooks guy says "+22 - 28 HP" Granted he is a Kooks guy so take it with a grain of salt

S/C - the dyno says:
Before installation: 408 HP, 392 Torque
After installation: 451 HP, 427 Torque

Thats a gain of 43 HP and 35 ft-lbs. Damn good.

Here is the link: http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoid=27329535
Old 02-13-2008, 04:13 PM
Penance
1st Gear Member

[blockquote]
I would defintely agree with 22-28 hp gains with a blown engine. i got my facts straight from Borla. Maybe its different with other systems(header companies), of course whatever else one has done to their car greatly affects the gains too. My general understanding is a modest gain with a STOCK car, and probably around 20-30 with a modded car. I of course could be totally wrong, and do not claim to be the header God. If anyone has better info i would be open to hear about header gains. I just try to do my research online. Peeps in this community with them installed could probably give better info. Once again, im open to hear about the gains, as i am PROBABLY only gonna go for the x pipe itself since i dont have a blower. I would assume a full header system would give way more gains (complete off-road header system with removal of cats), but again i could be wrong on that too. If anyone has concrete knowledge on header gains(true header gains), id love to hear it....Mind you, a dyno can be played with to show the consumer anything they wanna hear.[/blockquote]
Old 02-13-2008, 04:17 PM
Penance
1st Gear Member

Wow i just read the post above, he must have done alot to his car if that is non-aspirated, i could buy those numbers. That car must have everything done to it (pulleys, bigger injectors, ect), except being blown to have that much horsepower. I could believe those numbers. Like i said, the more done to a car greatly affects what a header gain would do (id asume). Id like more info on headers!!!! I stand by my claim that a STOCK mustung would generally get around 8-10 hp gains.....

Quick Reply: Long tube headers