Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Rev Limiter???

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 01:36 AM
casperorr
2nd Gear Member

Default Rev Limiter???

OK, Idid search for this topic and found some threads, but they did not answer what I am asking in my question. I have a 2007 GT, Nitto 555 285x40x18 rear, Nitto 555 255x45x18 front, 4:10 gears, Automatic Transmission, Saleen SC with 475 hp kit, Mac axle back exhaust.

Now my question: On take off I get some wheel slip depending on road surface. What I mean by that is, on very smooth blacktop I get allot of slip, otherwise I get enough on rougher surfaces to please. But what is happening is that before the car shifts into second under full throttle, it kicks down due to reaching top rev limit, and gives me a kick down delay that hurts my track times, and is a little embarrassing when challenged on the street
I know that there is a way to increase the rev limiter, but how safe will I be, and what would be the highest that I could possibly go with my rev limiter setting and not destroy my engine.
As I stated above, this is an automatic so all I do in push it to the floor and let her go.
I am running a SC tune from Brenspeed
I first found this rev limiter when horsing around starting off with power braking and showing off with a little tire smoke, but continuing to keep it at the floor and releasing the brake, It takes off like a monster but then hit the rev limiter and kicks down and then hitting again. Actually looks like missing a gear if you are on the sideline and didn't know it was an automatic. I am a real rookie when it comes to SC and drive by wire and the rev limiter, etc. etc. with our new age automobiles.
Any help you all can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Casper
Old 02-27-2008, 06:49 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Rev Limiter???

Brenspeed reset mine with my tunes from the stock default of 6250 to 6500 and I'm pretty comfortable with that. I've hit it on a few occasions without any concerns.I know a few that have theirs at 6800 which is a bit high for my likings. I'm sure you'll get more feedback from those more experienced.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:13 AM
Mpaint99
2nd Gear Member

Did you have all the mods on your car when Brenspeed tuned it. Whenyou start upgrading your ride with mods that effect how it runs, Retune,Retune,Retune. Your tuner can only do so much. The Dyno tells all! Good Luck
Old 02-27-2008, 10:32 PM
casperorr
2nd Gear Member

Thank you very much for your replies. I agree with you on the fact of keeping updated on our tunes. I should have given more information in my previous post. At the time of my original tune from Brenspeed, I had all my currrent mods along with my C&L Street CAI. But now I am running a Saleen SC and 475 upgrade kit. But Dave and Brent are aware of that, for I hated the Saleen package tune so bad that I called Brenspeed almost immediately for a new tune. I gave them my new list along with my SC information.
With the Saleen SC tune that Saleen gives you when you first buy their unit, I was hitting the Rev limiter all the time. Saleen's SC tune is CRAP! But after talking to Dave and Brent at Brenspeed, they knew exactly where I was coming from. Brenspeed setup a nice SC tune for me, but I have noticed that in the event that I spin my tires launching from start, I end up gaining rpm's very fast and usually hitting the rev limiter. But if I can control my car not to spin out launching from start, I begin to really gain once the SC starts kicking butt and I go into 2nd gear with an awsome snap and tire chirp.
Now I told you all I was a rookie when it came to SC's and the track, so is this what I should expect, meaning is this the normal actions if there is too much tire slip/burning launching from a start? Or is there something more I can do to eliminate hitting the rev limiter even when starting out with good burn outs?
As I posted previously, I up graded my tires to help, and I also love the look, but mostly to help. I went from the stock 17" Nero's in 235/55/17 all around, to NITTO 555 285/40/18in the rearand 255/45/18 in the front. And I changed my gear ratio from 3:31 to 4:10.
So what do you suggest. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Also I want to thank all forum participants for their participation. Not only with this question, but with everyones. This is an extremely priceless opportunity being able to learn, and receive help and information from other Mustang enthusiasts.

Thank you,
Casper [sm=helpout.gif]
Old 02-28-2008, 07:36 AM
exx1976
5th Gear Member

I think your question should be more about shift points and less about rev limiters.. I have my race tune set at 6850 and my street tune at 6500. Brent wrote them both for me. But, I have a stick, so it shifts when *I* want it to.

By the sounds of things, you need to work on traction at launch, and not worry so much aboutrev limiters,because like you said, when you get traction, there's a nice snap and tire chirp..
Old 02-28-2008, 08:32 AM
VistaGT
4th Gear Member

Hey I've been wondering, I've heard that stock its 6250rpm I thought it was 6k. And does the brenspeed tune really rev to 6500? If so is it even worth revving it that high?
Old 02-28-2008, 05:49 PM
casperorr
2nd Gear Member

Thank you for all the help. I will follow your experience and help and work on my traction atlaunch. GOOD ADVICE, GREAT HELP,

Thank you,
Casper
Old 02-28-2008, 06:44 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: VistaGT

Hey I've been wondering, I've heard that stock its 6250rpm I thought it was 6k. And does the brenspeed tune really rev to 6500? If so is it even worth revving it that high?
Yes, stock redline is 6250. I find she still pulls darn hard beyond 6250, but the few times I've approached or hit redline my eyes were so glued to the road that I didn't realize I was there until hit it. These darn engines... They're just TOO smooth. LOL!
Old 02-29-2008, 11:14 AM
VistaGT
4th Gear Member

Yea I know what you mean, too civalized for a muscle car......nice rims!!!
Old 02-29-2008, 01:29 PM
grampa_stang
4th Gear Member

Stock shift points for an auto are 5900. Bama sets his tunes to shift at 5900.
Brenspeed sets 'emat 6500. Shift points and rev limiter are totlally different settings.
I set my rev limiter to 6800, just in case I want to manually shift and don't quite shift
at 6500 when I supposed to.

WOT shift points and rev limiter are adjustable on the hand helds. Also make sure you
setyour gear ratio in the hand held.

Quick Reply: Rev Limiter???