Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

LT Headers...codes...inspections...NY

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 10:23 PM
jonnystang08
1st Gear Member

Default RE: LT Headers...codes...inspections...NY

hmmmm so many what-ifs...guess i am going to be waiting a while. at least until i complete my body mods on the car, unless i nail this town job...then i can probably afford the money sink of trying this and that mod...we will see...i may just be in one of those nasty impulsive moods where you order everything you want and feel great until you receive the credit card bill at the end of the month....hahaha...guess i got some thinking to do or hope something comes out in the near future. wonder if my guy know's how to make it pass.....may have to talk to him over coffee....lol keep you guys posted if i find anything out.

Old 03-08-2008, 08:03 AM
retfr8flyr
3rd Gear Member

If you’re that worried just have a pair of bungs welded after the cats and install the rear o2’s with wiring extenders. Then have the tune made for LT’s with the rear o2’s turned on and you will have both sets of o2’s reading for the test.

Earl
Old 03-08-2008, 12:57 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

why would he need 3 total sets of bungs? and what does he put in the extra set? Sorry i am completely lost in what you are trying to do here.
Old 03-08-2008, 01:45 PM
shooter23
3rd Gear Member

First off, the rear O2s are mainly used only to tell the car whether the Cats are working or not. So as long as you have good cats, the rear o2s are not your worry.

The front 02s are what will effect everything, because now you are moving the o2's further downstream...THIS CAN ALL BE FIXED WITH A TUNE!!

Tell your tuner what you need, and they should be able to re-tune for this change...if done properly, there should be no adverse effects on the tests becuase all O2s will be operational and you will have CATS!!

The only thing is that high-flow cats are not as effective on the tests after a while, but you should be ok for sometime (couple years) before the cats become your concern.

I own a testing facility and I see these things everyday, and there are lots of ways to cheat it if you know the right people
Old 03-13-2008, 10:16 PM
jonnystang08
1st Gear Member

so i said screw it and e-mailed brenspeed about this...they recommended Kooks over ARH and said they sell it with a catted h in place of x. Their reasoning was that kooks tunes come out better and don't flag...ARH has given them beef with the tunes....flaging cells and throwing codes.

just wanted to keep you all updated!

Old 03-16-2008, 02:51 AM
yur1279
2nd Gear Member

I'm looking into getting Kooks with high flow H pipe as well. I'm gonna order a set of steeda mil eliminators as well, figure install them and hope for no CEL's. I have heard that the kooks/ARH cats flow so well that they will sometimes set off the CEl, so thats what worries me here in NY.
Old 03-16-2008, 10:33 PM
jonnystang08
1st Gear Member

awesome...can you keep me posted on the outcome? I'm pulling the trigger this week and taking the first step...i'm ordering my 2008 GT Prem. lol so much research i have done for a car i don't even have.