Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

LT Headers...codes...inspections...NY

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 06:53 PM
jonnystang08
1st Gear Member

Default LT Headers...codes...inspections...NY

Ok, so i called my local Ford friend with a shop and asked him about LT's on a new mustang...note i live in NY, more specifically long island...which as far as i know is second on emissions. His words were as long as there are no lights and they don't throw any codes and has Cats....they don't care.

So...if i do LT's and no tune is it going to throw any lights or codes? Looking at ARH LT's and catted H.

Anyone, while having there mustangs inspected with the sniffer...throw codes? tuned or not?

Thanks for your time!
Old 03-03-2008, 07:11 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Default RE: LT Headers...codes...inspections...NY

yes there is a possibility to throw codes since the front 02s are posistioned downstream, a tune can take of this though
Old 03-03-2008, 10:08 PM
jonnystang08
1st Gear Member

awesome...so a tune while getting inspected is ok? would the thing to do be to talk to the guy <brent> i am getting the tune from to make sure it won't through codes?
Old 03-03-2008, 10:12 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

I have been trying to research how to pass the OBD-II emissions test with Long Tubes for some time now. Can't say I've had much luck. On Long Island this is the test they perform, here is a website about it: http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/vehsafe.htm

To pass the test several things must be checked but the key ones are: a) "readiness" test and b) no check engine lights, i.e no emission related DTCs. The "readiness" test is the one scaring me away from installing the JBA long tubes sitting in my basement until I get more info. The "readiness" test checks the components of your emissions system, like the O2 sensors to see if they have been operating for a certain number of drive cycles. In other words it checks for history. This prevents you from clearing DTCs or pulling the battery cable right before you go into the test. So here's the problem (I think) - to run long tubes I've always been told that the rear O2 sensors must be shut off.I believe this would cause a "readiness" test failure. I'd really like to hear from someone who has actually passed an OBD-II port test running long tubes and catted mid-pipe. I'd like to hear their exact set-up.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:16 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jonnystang08
awesome...so a tune while getting inspected is ok? would the thing to do be to talk to the guy <brent> i am getting the tune from to make sure it won't through codes?
I hope you have better luck than me. I've talked to Brent and a couple other vendors about this. Very hard to get the exact info you want. I've come to believe they are intentionally vauge for legality reasons. Maybe I'll PM you in a couple weeks to see if you found out any info.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:22 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

i was running the 91 octane canned tune for a while with the rear O2 sensors turned off for my o/r x pipe, no tune for the LT's and had no CEL.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:48 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

you might not get it at all and you might.....chances are if you load the tune with rear 02s turned on and go take the test you will be just fine cause it will not do it instantly....it will take time for the car to figure out what is going on and throw the code...
Old 03-03-2008, 11:06 PM
BFMacias
2nd Gear Member

Mind you that if you send away for a tune you can get O2 deletes in which case ther would not be a problem. Depending on which tuner you get (Diablo sport or SCT) use one of these two sites. Bamachips for DS and Brenspeed for SCT. Getting a real good tune is one of the best things to do. And really the tune will get rid of your codes. I can say this becauseI live in Commifornia also.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:35 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

The problem with the tune is that if it shuts the rear 02s off then when they run the test they get a "not ready" signal and thus he fails the tests.....so he actually needs a tune with them turned on just for inspection.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:15 PM
yur1279
2nd Gear Member

I'm in the same situation. You can always use MIL eliminators I guess but the thing is, the places that have them say they are only for 96-04 stangs. No MIL's seem to be out for the 05+'s.