Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

aluminum driveshaft on auto?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 10:28 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Default aluminum driveshaft on auto?

is it worth it and how noticable are the gains? I will be getting a 3k stall torque converter,3:90s and
ADs,intake/tuner all installed at once...I am expecting it to be noticably faster then stock.
If the ADs aren't worth the gains I won't get them...

Old 03-15-2008, 11:10 PM
TheDarkPath
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: aluminum driveshaft on auto?

Off-subject...if you're soon to be supercharged, why get the intake/tune..that'll most likely be useless with the SC setup.

On-subject...aluminum DS has been tested many times as giving 2/10s in the 1/4. I'll be running my car for the first time since the DS tomorrow so I'll know what kind of a difference it made.

The CAI/tune dropped 5/10s off my 1/4 mile time. It's been the biggest difference for my car of anything else I've done. The 4.10s made a big difference too but the tune really made it a different car.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:18 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

I decided to hold off on the supercharger until next spring being that I just got the car and I don't think I am responsable enough for nearly 500whp lol.

I just want to do the basic bolt ons for now and just appreciate the car a little more before
going big time power.

Did you loose any top end with the 4:10s? getting 3:90s myself.Being stock with the 3:55s
I think,mid range power is pretty good though it starts to fall flat around 120ish.[&:]
Kinda curious of how 4:10s would be up top.

Isn't the biggest improvement with the ADS weight reduction? aren't they alot ligther then the
stockers?
Old 03-16-2008, 12:01 AM
TheDarkPath
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: stealth_GT

I decided to hold off on the supercharger until next spring being that I just got the car and I don't think I am responsable enough for nearly 500whp lol.

I just want to do the basic bolt ons for now and just appreciate the car a little more before
going big time power.

Did you loose any top end with the 4:10s? getting 3:90s myself.Being stock with the 3:55s
I think,mid range power is pretty good though it starts to fall flat around 120ish.[&:]
Kinda curious of how 4:10s would be up top.

Isn't the biggest improvement with the ADS weight reduction? aren't they alot ligther then the
stockers?
I didn't lose any top-end for the kind of driving I do. I end the 1/4 mile in 4th gear at 5500rpm (108mph) so that's perfect for me
The improvement of the DS is rotating weight reduction. Stock: 40ish lbs Spydershaft: 16.5lbs or so
Old 03-16-2008, 12:37 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

noice.

Do you reccomend the ADS they have on the brenspeed website??
Old 03-16-2008, 12:55 AM
TheDarkPath
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: stealth_GT

noice.

Do you reccomend the ADS they have on the brenspeed website??
I recommend the spydershaft. It's light, high quality, and Ron has some of the best customer service I've ever seen.
http://www.leonardracingproducts.com/drive01.php
http://www.suttonhp.com/store/item.a...ARTMENT_ID=315

I'd also recommend a front driveshaft safety loop at the same time. BMR makesa front loop for around $100 that bolts up without having to drill holes or remove interior. I'll be ordering one of these this week.
Old 03-16-2008, 01:03 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

thanks.

will do!~
Old 03-16-2008, 06:37 PM
ybnormal
2nd Gear Member

welcome to the 08 mustang, As stated above the tune will make a big change it did in mine, you need to plan your products out so you do not waste money. from what Ive read the tci streetfighter is just a modified single disc stock converter so you should look at a PI multi disc or a tci multidisc torque conv. instead of the cheapest thing. are you installing your self?
are you buying a tune or having the car dyno'd then tune? I am like you wanting to SC soon but want to make my dollars count. Find a speed shop that you can talk with and enjoy the speed. An alum driveshaft will be worth the money. just enjoy the build.
Old 03-18-2008, 03:07 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ybnormal

welcome to the 08 mustang, As stated above the tune will make a big change it did in mine, you need to plan your products out so you do not waste money. from what Ive read the tci streetfighter is just a modified single disc stock converter so you should look at a PI multi disc or a tci multidisc torque conv. instead of the cheapest thing. are you installing your self?
are you buying a tune or having the car dyno'd then tune? I am like you wanting to SC soon but want to make my dollars count. Find a speed shop that you can talk with and enjoy the speed. An alum driveshaft will be worth the money. just enjoy the build.
thanks!~

i tried looking on the PI site but not quite sure which converter to get for NA GTs. Going SC later on,plan on keeping it basic bolt ons for quite some time actually. No dyno shop,the only tuner I will be using is the one that comes with the intake kit..
Old 03-18-2008, 11:21 AM
retfr8flyr
3rd Gear Member

First on the driveshaft the Spyder shaft or the PowerHouse shaft IMHO are the best available. I have the Powerhouse, as the Spydershaft wasn’t available when I got mine, and have been very happy with it and Mike’s customer service.

Second on the T/C spend the extra money and get the PI multi-plate. The TCI will not hold up with a supercharger and even some higher power N/A combinations are having trouble with the TCI not staying in lock mode.

Third if you’re going to get a supercharger don't waste the money on a CAI. Get your SCT tuner and tunes from Doug at Bama chips and he will make the tunes for the stock intake. You will really not see much difference and it will save the price of the intake that would not be usable with the SC.
Earl

Quick Reply: aluminum driveshaft on auto?