Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

auto gear owners please chime in~

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 02:13 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Default auto gear owners please chime in~

well,right about to order some gears but still a little bit undescisive on which to get..
kinda set on the 3:90s but also want 4:10s for obvious reasons.Just how different
are they between the two in terms of both acceleration and top end?
getting motives regardless.If I do get the 4:10s do you all think I'll regret it?
what are the benefits of one over the other???

Old 03-19-2008, 02:35 PM
zkiller
4th Gear Member

Default RE: auto gear owners please chime in~

The automatic has a very low first gear. The best all-around gear seems to be 3.73 as it allows good acceleration and good top end performance.
The 4.10 makes first too short in my opinion.

What obvious reasons do you want 4.10 gears for?
So, I would recommend 3.73 gearing for an automatic. I also think you should re-consider Motive gears. Why would you want to go with Motive? Everybody complains abou thow much they whine. Are you looking to make your car whine?
I recommend the FRRP that are NON MOTIVE. The Motive FRRP gears all have an "M" at the end of the part number. I would avoid them like the plague.

Last point iwill mentionis that your signature says "soon to be supercharged"- so if that is your plan then you definately dont need 4.10 gears unless you are going with a centifugal blower. Twin screws have so much torque off the line you wont even get traction with your 3.31 gears.
4.10 and twin screw= impossible to launch the car.
Old 03-19-2008, 02:43 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

lol sorry ..old sig.But paxton was the plan.

I thought motives where the good gears? forget where I read it but a thread said they were the ones that didn't whine.[&:] good thing I didn't order them yet.

It seems like alot of people have 4:10s and loves them..
Old 03-19-2008, 03:49 PM
Mpaint99
2nd Gear Member

I have 4:10 s and wouldn't consider anything else. The gear change didnt lose any top end and actually improved my gas mileage around town,'cause I get to overdrive sooner. A tuner is the first mod I would do. Then 410s for the best seat of the pant difference.
Old 03-19-2008, 04:49 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Mpaint99

I have 4:10 s and wouldn't consider anything else. The gear change didnt lose any top end and actually improved my gas mileage around town,'cause I get to overdrive sooner. A tuner is the first mod I would do. Then 410s for the best seat of the pant difference.
in your honest opinion do you think I could get away with just 4:10s/tune, spydershafts and no
torque converter as far as tranny mods go?
Old 03-19-2008, 05:02 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: zkiller

The automatic has a very low first gear. The best all-around gear seems to be 3.73 as it allows good acceleration and good top end performance.
The 4.10 makes first too short in my opinion.
how much of a jump would it be from stock gears to 3:73s or even 4:10s?? even with the stockers it kinda just sits and spins for like a second before taking off,from a low roll it takes off
real well.I have zero experiance with choosing gears so bare with me lol.This is still all so much better then having a high hp FWD turbo car where I will actually spin all the way through mid 3rd.

Last point iwill mentionis that your signature says "soon to be supercharged"- so if that is your plan then you definately dont need 4.10 gears unless you are going with a centifugal blower. Twin screws have so much torque off the line you wont even get traction with your 3.31 gears.
4.10 and twin screw= impossible to launch the car.
actually I like the performance being stock (I know crazy right lol) I want to go a few bolt ons at a time and enjoy the car a little more before throwing down a whopping 450+ whp lol.As much fun as it seems right now I really don't think I have the self control for all that power

I might actually be content with just a few bolt ons and leaving it for a while..used to drag race alot in the past but the GT is more of a cruiser then anything else. i really do love the auto.
Old 03-19-2008, 05:49 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

http://www.americanmuscle.com/fopege4ra.html

these are the 'good' gears to have??

also if I were to get a tuner but no CAI,but say replaced it with a KN drop in filter
would I still get good results ??
Old 03-19-2008, 05:55 PM
retfr8flyr
3rd Gear Member

Like zkiller said go with the 3.73 gears, I am very happy with mine. The auto not only has a very steep first gear the O/D is not as low as the manual. If you want to get a feel for what 4.10’s would be like on the highway just turn you O/D off and you will be close to what the rpm would be with the 4.10 gears.

Earl
Old 03-19-2008, 06:13 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: retfr8flyr

Like zkiller said go with the 3.73 gears, I am very happy with mine. The auto not only has a very steep first gear the O/D is not as low as the manual. If you want to get a feel for what 4.10’s would be like on the highway just turn you O/D off and you will be close to what the rpm would be with the 4.10 gears.

Earl
hmmm..I am still very curious of how 4:10s would be in the lower gears and how they would
effect acceleration.I never even considered 3:73s but with so much feedback it's making me think about it,though I still have my mind kinda set on 3:90s... and now possibly 4:10s...
Old 03-19-2008, 06:15 PM
Heavyg72
3rd Gear Member

I have the Paxton and 3.73's and wouldn't want anything more. I have traction issues right now so I can't imagine 4.10's. As far as other tranny mods for the auto....I highly recommend a TC upgrade.

Quick Reply: auto gear owners please chime in~