Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Question about Saleen supercharger with 475 upgrade.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 10:02 PM
SilverS197

Default Question about Saleen supercharger with 475 upgrade.

I have a saleen supercharger and all components of the 475 uprade kit except the 98mm air box cover. I have the 39lb injectors, i have the 3.8 pulley , the prepaid postage box.etc....

All i want is 400h.p. at the wheels for minimal cost. So for all people who are gonna say go custom tune, go brenspeed, go jdm....i'll get it out of the way and say i have no desire to do this all i want is the regular 475 saleen tune. My problem is the MAF part of this kit. My question is if i have the 95mm C&L racer intake do you guys think it will work with the saleen tune. Its only 3mm smaller and the saleen still uses your stock MAf sensor so i want to hear your guys opinions on if this would work.

A C&L 95mm racer intake on the saleen 475 upgrade kit in place of their 98mm air box cover.

Thanks for all your response in advance.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:52 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Question about Saleen supercharger with 475 upgrade.

i see exactly what you're trying to do
here....another way to ask it is, is there
any difference at all, between the stock
saleen 475 tune and the Brenspeed stage
1 tune.

at least that's kind of the way i see it, at this point...

Old 03-19-2008, 11:22 PM
SilverS197

Well not really b/c brenspeed uses their own sct tune and a Cai. I dont really care between the difference in tunes from saleen , brenspeed , or jdm, thats why i mentioned that b/c from my time on many forums when someone ask a question about the 475 saleen upgrade folks just come on and tell them to go a different route.

In my case i already have all the components of the 475 saleen kit besides the MAf so what i want to know is Say you have the 475upgrade already could you just swap out the intake and 98mm air mass for the C&L racer 95mm intake and MAF housing.....thats it the only difference i see between the 2 are 3mm difference in diameter.

Old 03-19-2008, 11:50 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

yep, i understand

what we'd really like to know is... does
the stock saleen 475 tune have the
range, to account for the difference in
air flow.

Old 03-20-2008, 06:51 AM
modular81
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SilverS197

I have a saleen supercharger and all components of the 475 uprade kit except the 98mm air box cover. I have the 39lb injectors, i have the 3.8 pulley , the prepaid postage box.etc....

All i want is 400h.p. at the wheels for minimal cost. So for all people who are gonna say go custom tune, go brenspeed, go jdm....i'll get it out of the way and say i have no desire to do this all i want is the regular 475 saleen tune. My problem is the MAF part of this kit. My question is if i have the 95mm C&L racer intake do you guys think it will work with the saleen tune. Its only 3mm smaller and the saleen still uses your stock MAf sensor so i want to hear your guys opinions on if this would work.

A C&L 95mm racer intake on the saleen 475 upgrade kit in place of their 98mm air box cover.

Thanks for all your response in advance.
I think the 3mm difference in the maf housing size between the c&l racer intake and the 98mm saleen box cover will require new tuning.The maf transfer has to be dialed in perfectly for the maf housing size or you will run lean. You have two choices, if you want to use the saleen 475hp tune then get everything you need to run saleen tune (ie; saleen 98mm box cover that you don't have) or use the c&l racer intake and pay for a custom tune to get the correct maf transfer for the c&l racers 95mm maf housing size. This is what i would do if were my choice. You can never be to careful when you're using forced induction.
Old 03-20-2008, 01:36 PM
exx1976
5th Gear Member

I wouldn't have spent the money on the 475 upgrade kit. The difference in cost betweel the 435 and the 475 Saleen kits is $720. 475 will get you ~403rwhp to the ground in a stick, assuming a modest 15% drivetrain loss.

The difference in cost between a base Saleen 435 and a Brenspeed Stage 2 is only $470. If you already have the Steeda intake kit and XCAL from Brenspeed, then you get a $385 discount, thereby making your total out of pocket cost only $85 to go from stock to Stage 2. I added in the Saleen Extreme inlet tube, and my numbers are in my sig. Not bad for $195 over the price of the base 435 kit.

I don't know how you ended up where you are (parts-wise), or where you bought the stuff, but you're in a weird spot, and I definitely would have done more homework up front.

As for the answer to the ?, I'd call the place you bought the C&L from and ask them what they think. If said place doesn't deal with Saleen blowers, then give Brent a call, and I'm sure he'd be more than happy to put together some custom parts list/tune that will solve your woes.

Just my $.02, YMMV..
Old 03-20-2008, 07:26 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

I have some questions.

1) How will you fit the C&L Racer intake on the S/C with the stock hood?
2) Why are you so hell bent on getting the tune from Saleen?
3) Are you already running a Saleen flashed tune?
Old 03-20-2008, 11:41 PM
SilverS197

Thanks guys i guess this post is pointless for me as of today, i got the saleen 98mm MAF housing and extreme inlet tube. Also bought a Xcal-3 with custom tune from Stang -Hi a local SCt dealer that has tuned several saleens including his own personal car.

The reason i was really intrested in the 475 tune is b/c i got most of the parts for it from a freind except the MAF , I also had the prepaid box to send my pcm off, i figured i would be totally happy with 400 to the wheels so , i was like save $400 on a tuner and just use theirs my problem was i couldnt find the damn air box so i was gonna use a C&L but the guy that owns the shop had one and i figured instead of waiting on a saleen tune and having to mail off the computer screw it just get the xcal-3 and tune so i/m good to go now....so thanks for all of your responses....

Oh and trust me i have done more homework than a little bit i just hadnt seen anyone with a 475 kit using another brand of cai with it and wondering if you could b/c both use the stock MAf sensor ....

Thanks
Old 03-21-2008, 08:44 AM
exx1976
5th Gear Member

The reason you haven't seen anyone using a different brand of CAI with the 475 kit is because no one on here (that I know of or have seen so far) is using the 475 kit. It's a waste of money, you can get more power for less $$ with the same supercharger by using Brenspeed (or JDM)...