Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

BLOW ME: Forced Induction Horror Stories & Longevity Issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 12:15 PM
crazystylin
2nd Gear Member

Default BLOW ME: Forced Induction Horror Stories & Longevity Issues

[NOTE: mention if you are running with forged internals.]

It is quite common on these threads to have very excited MF'ers hooting and hollering about Whipple chargers, and other forced induction systems whichthey just installed, and how much they love the new feel and power gains . . . but, often times MF'ers don't post about the longevity of the induction systems or about the horror stories associated therewith.

This thread is being created to provide MF'ers with one of two things:

1. Horror stories about forced induction products - thrown rods, catastrophic engine failure, phantom problems, etc . . .

or,

2. Reassurance that the forced induction products have lasted the test of time and survived the abuse of the driver's right foot - induction system, owned & operated for 3 years and still pulls hard, etc . . .

My previous horror story:

I have owned and built a 67 camaro, 89 mustang, and 99 mitsubishi eclipse, before purchasing my 05 mustang. The 99 eclipse came with a stock turbo which I replaced with a Garrett T-60, in essence, a turbo that significantly increased the power output of the stock turbo'd 4 cylinder engine. I **** you not, this eclipse was one ofthe fastest cars I've ever driven from 2nd to 4th gear.

Well I made the mistake of ignoring my friends advice not to go to a certain proshop for install. I went to ProStreet in Hayward, CA, which I think is now closed. After the intercooler, new fuel system, and turbo were installed and they tuned the car, my friend and I took the car on some aggressive freeway passes. My friend was driving and we easily hit 110 in 3rd gear and kaboom, smoke from the rear and oil was all over the engine bay. I was pissed.

Took it back to the shop, and questioned them why it happened. They told me before the install that my compression was good enough for the larger turbo and that the turbo would be safe for my car. I also had new belts installed before the turbo to make sure my car was safe.

They supposedly repaired it again saying they would not charge me. After it was done, we took the car for some freeway passes while tuning it on a laptop. Actually an 05 mustang pulled up and we started going at it and I pulled away from it then boom! Again, blown engine.

I took it back, and they supposedly fixed it again. Then the car ran ****, but I didn't fully run it to its limits. Extremely wonderfulpowerband in 3rd gear. Several months went by, and while I was at a stop light my car stalled out (i thought). Turned out a piece of an old ripped up belt, that the prior shop left in the engine bay, got caught between the pulleys and belt line and skipped it = catastrophic engine failure. Horrible waste of money!!!!

To make a long story short, either don't:
1. Try to force too much power through a 4 cylinder engine;
2. Take the car to a shop who you don't trust; or,
3. Believe that forced induction is totally safe for your vehicle

Now that I own an 05 mustang, I am interested in a blow job. I want to hear the real stories of owners of forced induction GT'swho have withstood the test of time or who have had horror stories similar to mine.

[IMG]local://upfiles/91951/93410BB81F9E4D978A5B0DF8A97746C5.jpg[/IMG]
Old 04-02-2008, 12:21 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

Default RE: BLOW ME: Forced Induction Horror Stories & Life of The Product

mines been on for just over a month, all is good.
Old 04-02-2008, 01:01 PM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

3 months and 3,000 miles on my Whipple HO'd DD, 0 problems. Just wish I had traction in first and second.

Honestly if you stick with a Whipple HO, Saleen, or KB and keep the boost under 10psi you should have no problems. I have never heard of someone damaging something with these kits at that power level. Get greedy and bad things happen.
Old 04-02-2008, 01:20 PM
zkiller
4th Gear Member

20 months and 7000 mile on my Kenne Bell twin screw and I am still on the original serpentine belt. Car runs and drives like a factory 11 second car.
Old 04-02-2008, 04:01 PM
crazystylin
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: zkiller

20 months and 7000 mile on my Kenne Bell twin screw and I am still on the original serpentine belt. Car runs and drives like a factory 11 second car.
How many total miles did you have on it at install?
Old 04-02-2008, 06:46 PM
cfr865
3rd Gear Member

Paxton Novi 2200 HO 455 rwhp installed and dyno tuned by Brenspeed, I have approx. 7000 miles since the install, no problems except my 3rd. gear band in the trans. burnt up. It's all in the tune, if they know what there doing and stay in the area of 450 rwhp you'll be safe.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:16 PM
sevenleaf
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MustangGT0405

3 months and 3,000 miles on my Whipple HO'd DD, 0 problems. Just wish I had traction in first and second.

Honestly if you stick with a Whipple HO, Saleen, or KB and keep the boost under 10psi you should have no problems. I have never heard of someone damaging something with these kits at that power level. Get greedy and bad things happen.

I get 10 pounds on 3.2 saleen pulley and broke my transusing brenspeeds tune.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:37 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

I run an STS turbo @9.5 psi and ~6 psi. The kit was installed and tuned by a professional shop. I also had them put in a shift light, boost controler and a wide band. I went through the stock clutch rather quickly and have since put in a clutch that will last (RPS).

I had 17k on the odometer when I got the turbo and I now have around 21k. I made 50 + passes on Nitrous prior to the turbo (75 shot) and only 3 since I got the turbo. I have stock internals and I do not know my current power levels. My estimation on high boost is 440 hp and 460 tq (numbers from STS). I may get a dyno number in a few weeks but it depends on how busy the shop is.

Since the turbo my diff has been replaced because the stock diff. lacked for traction, it was noisy and I wanted to go from 4.10s to 3.55s. Car now has a detroit locker in it and 3.55s. Much faster from start to finish and a I getter mileage and traction. But I traded the whine of the 4.10s and stock diff to the clunks of the Locker.

Stock tranny and I'm saving up $$ to replace it just in case it goes.

This is my first vehicle with aftermarket F/I and so far so good.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:24 PM
sactown
4th Gear Member

Default RE: BLOW ME: Forced Induction Horror Stories & Longevity Issues

Had 18,000 on the car when I had the Saleen installed I now have about 28,000, the only problems I have had were/are my first tune sucked a$$ and I will not take my car back to them even though they did a good job on the SC install, the other issue which I think has been resolved is the clutch, but I will find out when I get my DR's and go to the track hopefully next week. The only 2 things I am concerned about 1 is the transmission but only because of the clutch issues I have had, and the other is popping the drive line at the track durning a hard launch, but other than those 2 things the car runs great. BTW the car was my daily drive until recently, but I still drive it to work at least twice a week and of course on the weekends.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:39 PM
aclass
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: BLOW ME: Forced Induction Horror Stories & Longevity Issues

Dude! I need to hear these positive F/I daily driver stories. Fixing to install my Whipple HO next week and I'd hate to think of ruining a perfectly good car. I was very reluctant to buy the s/c for this reason but hopefully my homework has paid off and also listening to most of the experience from folk in here.

Quick Reply: BLOW ME: Forced Induction Horror Stories & Longevity Issues