Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

automatic trans TCI B$M or??

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 01:26 PM
ntersandman1

Default automatic trans TCI B$M or??

HI new here I have 2006 mustang gt auto my question is I have installed many old schoolB&M shifters like the ratch style and the Quick silver in cars over the years I am tired of waiting for tci or b&m to come out TCI says they have put the release to august now and I do not really like the look of the b&m . So the automatic trans in my 06 stang is fly bye wire and cable operated . When I was getting a oil change and the car was on the lift I was looking at the trans and on the drivers side I seen a black module on the side of the trans what is this ?? is the trans cable and electronic can anyone tell me why an old school shifter would not work like B&M ratch or Quick silver I think I have seen 4 speed auto so why could I not just have the overdrive botton on my consel . Thanks any help would be great one last thing if anyone knows for sure that B&M or TCI make 4speed automatic shifter let me know thanks again.
Old 04-15-2008, 03:13 PM
zkiller
4th Gear Member

Default RE: automatic trans TCI B$M or??

If B&M can not make the 4-speed Quicksilver shifter work in the S197 yet, I have stong doubts you are going to take their B&M's generic Quicksilver or other ratchet model and make it work on these cars.
TCI makes a 4-speed Thunderstick but again if the guys at TCI cant get their product to work on the S197, I am kind of doubting this would be as easy as you think.
Old 04-15-2008, 03:33 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: ntersandman1

HI new here I have 2006 mustang gt auto my question is I have installed many old schoolB&M shifters like the ratch style and the Quick silver in cars over the years I am tired of waiting for tci or b&m to come out TCI says they have put the release to august now and I do not really like the look of the b&m . So the automatic trans in my 06 stang is fly bye wire and cable operated . When I was getting a oil change and the car was on the lift I was looking at the trans and on the drivers side I seen a black module on the side of the trans what is this ?? is the trans cable and electronic can anyone tell me why an old school shifter would not work like B&M ratch or Quick silver I think I have seen 4 speed auto so why could I not just have the overdrive botton on my consel . Thanks any help would be great one last thing if anyone knows for sure that B&M or TCI make 4speed automatic shifter let me know thanks again.
I'm a little lost here, why look for a 4-speed shifter when our cars are 5-speed (Auto)? I know the O/D button would just need to be relocated but everything on our cars is electronic. I'm sure that black box on the tranny is the control module for tranny.

Have you contacted B&M to ask them (the manufacturer) why there are not shifters for the 05+ autos? Go to the source.
Old 04-15-2008, 05:54 PM
zkiller
4th Gear Member

You need four because there are four positions on the shifter
1,2,3 and D
overdrive is a button that can be located anywhere.