Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

SCT/CAPABILITIES

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 09:12 PM
cboisits
2nd Gear Member

Default SCT/CAPABILITIES

Hey guys. Thanks for your consideration. I've had the SCT XCalibrator for a while now, and I recently bought a laptop for grad school. Now it dawned on me that I could do things with the ECU that I couldn't do before. However, before I start doing anything, I wanted to consult some experts (you) to see what NOT to do, etc.
Thanks guys!
Old 04-18-2008, 09:49 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Default RE: SCT/CAPABILITIES

dont touch anything....there is no point, your tuner has set it up the best way possible unless you know exactly what and why you are modify it.......

im also lost on what you mean you can do more to the ECU.....the software for the Xcal has always had the same options as far as i know, there is nothing knew and changing laptops or whatever shouldnt impact anything
Old 04-18-2008, 10:30 PM
cboisits
2nd Gear Member

Sorry. Stupid question. Thanks for your reply.
Old 04-19-2008, 09:55 AM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

Can you datalog from your sct, or do you need to have your laptop hooked up to do that?
Old 04-20-2008, 04:52 AM
jc63_
2nd Gear Member

I think the SCT Livewire system does that. I want to know more about it though before I plunk down ~600...
Old 04-20-2008, 11:26 PM
ChiDiddy
4th Gear Member

i'm interested in using the SCT ProRacer Tuning Software with the SCT Xcal2 flash tool
http://sctflash.com/PRPFord.php

From the looks of it, its much easier to adjust parameters (perhaps gives you even more tunable parameters than the XCal alone) and easier to see your adjustments and datalog the same time.

I'm more used to tuning from a laptop than the little flash tool where its hard to gauge all the sensors. I'm gona do a lil more research on this software and give it a whirl.
Old 04-20-2008, 11:37 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

the proracer software does allow you to change everything in your tune. Its expensive i beleive and you still need to know what you are doing so you dont make the car go boom
Old 04-20-2008, 11:41 PM
ChiDiddy
4th Gear Member

~300-400 is def not bad at all. its a lot cheaper than what i'm used to for standalone systems that cost upwards of $1100+ that i use on the imports (ie. Hondata K-Pro), but i'm very much accustomed to and prefer controlling pretty much everything in the PCM/ECU versus just fuel/ign.

so i guess i'll be investing in the software soon. i'll def post up a review and DIY if applicable.
Old 04-21-2008, 02:58 AM
Androdz2
2nd Gear Member

The pro-racer is pretty good but it lacks a lot of what standalones could do. If only there was a hydra EMS for our cars I would easily lay out 1.6k anyday of the week. The pro-racer the end user version you can't touch the Drive by wire settings for nothing only dealers can do that for liability reasons. What I hate most about the PRP is that you can't replace the MAF with a MAP so you tune by MAF conversions and calculations which is time consuming and not the same as tunning per psi. With a MAP if you tune for 7-16psi you are already set for the street let me explain. You are on the freeway with your boost controller on low daily driver 6psi or so. You see a vette or something similar and u want to take a hit at it you can hit the overtake button on the boost controller go to the hi boost setting 16psi and your computer is already dialed in for the psi.

Andrew
Old 04-21-2008, 03:15 AM
GT Bob
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ChiDiddy

i'm interested in using the SCT ProRacer Tuning Software with the SCT Xcal2 flash tool
http://sctflash.com/PRPFord.php

From the looks of it, its much easier to adjust parameters (perhaps gives you even more tunable parameters than the XCal alone) and easier to see your adjustments and datalog the same time.

The only thing the extra adjustability will make easier, is making your engine go boom. Seriously guys,there are literally THOUSANDS of tables that can be adjusted and played with. Each one does something different from the rest, and if you just blindly adjust things without understand how each table works with the others, you can be making a recipie for a blown motor.