Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

stock vs. aftermarket driveshaft design question

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 01:49 PM
tlpvt
2nd Gear Member

Default stock vs. aftermarket driveshaft design question

why is the stock driveshaft a 2-piece design and aftermarket units are 1-piece? Ford engineeres must have had a reason do design it that way...?
[sm=feedback.gif]
Old 04-22-2008, 01:55 PM
tonkpils555666sas
4th Gear Member

Default RE: stock vs. aftermarket driveshaft design question

I recently just posted a thread about driveshafts, and one member posted how the second portion of the driveshaft takes most of the vibration out... but otherwise, I am wondering the same thing.
Old 04-22-2008, 02:05 PM
UberHax0r
2nd Gear Member

I believe it comes down to NVH. a two piece design will allow for more of the NVH to dissipate, while the one piece will transfer the NVH more easily. I'm certainly no engineer though[8D]
Old 04-22-2008, 02:10 PM
tlpvt
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: UberHax0r

I believe it comes down to NVH. a two piece design will allow for more of the NVH to dissipate, while the one piece will transfer the NVH more easily. I'm certainly no engineer though[8D]
ok, what's the "NVH"?
Old 04-22-2008, 02:11 PM
UberHax0r
2nd Gear Member

Noice, Vibration, Harmonics
Old 04-22-2008, 02:19 PM
Philostang
3rd Gear Member

I think I was the one who recently said that about the vibration. I too am no engineer, so I'm going off what I recall reading in an early press release. Ford seems to have put out their own press-snippet on this, for you consistently find the following all over the net:

"In both automatic and manual transmission cars, Mustang GT models use a two-piece driveshaft that can withstand higher engine speeds and torque. V-6 models use a slip-in-tube driveshaft."

Given the prevalence of this exact wording, my guess is that it's a p.r. piece, and I generally don't trust those.

BTW, "NVH" stands for Noise, Vibration, Harshness. (I've also seen "Harmonics" as UberHax0r suggests.) You can Google it and go to the first Wiki page for more info.

Best,
-j
Old 04-23-2008, 08:33 PM
SlickSlvr

I hope someone can post a definate answer on this. I've been wondering this ever since I found out that our cars have a driveshaft setup like a friggin TRUCK !!
I'm serious! Tow-piece DS is usually only found in a stinkin truck.
As a matter of fact, it is almost axact same design (except shorter, of course)as inmy brother's Mazda b3000 truck (same truck as Ford ranger) the "carrier bearing" in the middle even looks exactly like his! I bet it is the same part.
Can't figure why Ford did this. I doubt it's because of NVH... I've never had a performance car that had a two-piece driveshaft before, and my '98 T/A had an aluminum one-piece DS stock.
Anybody had issues with changing to a one-pice DS ?
Old 04-23-2008, 09:41 PM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

the stock DS is filled with rubber- that why it weighs so much- an deadens a ton of NVH

the S197 platform apprantly has some NVH issues that ford chose to use the 2pc shaft to eliminate
Old 04-23-2008, 11:01 PM
sidmanic
2nd Gear Member

When the car first came out I got an invitation to talk to the Ford engineers at the dealership (some sort of Feedback, PR thing, was pretty cool though). This was one of the questions and their answer was because the could not get the NVH to be below the spec needed to certify the vehicle (the GT). The only way they could get consistant NVH values on all the GT's was to put in a two piece. He said that most people probably wouldn't notice the difference with a one piece but they had to go with a two piece for spec.
Old 04-29-2008, 11:04 AM
DeStonn
4th Gear Member

The 1 piece D/S is actually a 2 piece.

Quick Reply: stock vs. aftermarket driveshaft design question