Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Basic ?'s for a new member!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 10:52 AM
dawazn

Default Basic ?'s for a new member!

hey everyone! im new to the mustang community. I have right now a Focus SVT but im thinking heavily on changing over to the Mustang GT.

Here are some questions i had.

I def. want to know...

1. how much power the internals can safely hold.
2. how much the power the clutch can take before getting aftermarket.
3. I was going to get an LSD (torsen since im already familiar with it on the svt)
4. How is the turbonetics turbo? or should i just get several NA bolt on's?
5. Suspension, all around suspension, whats the way to go?

Ah! thank you all!!
Old 05-14-2008, 12:53 PM
Fullsayl
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Basic ?'s for a new member!

Wow, lotsa questions. Welcome to the Forum!

1. Safely 450rwhp, but opinions vary...as do engine tolerances. Of course if you beat the hell out of it, your engine life will shorten. If you have a specific application and HP/RWHP goal in mind, that would help.
2. Most folks replace the clutch at around 450-500rwhp, but again...opinions vary.
3. Is there a question here?
4. God, please don't start another Turbo vs. Supercharger discussion [8D]. Not a lot of guys on here with turbos, but you can certainly find a couple who can probably give you informed opinions. I am positive that you can find at least a truck full of guys on here running Centri's/TS/Roots, and they will all have a different opinion of which is better. Do a search, and pack a lunch 'cause you will be reading for a while.
5. Post you suspension question in the Handling Section. F1Fan, Rodeoflyer, and Sam Strano will be happy to chime in with more info than you could ask for. Just be specific about what you want the car to do, afterall setting the car up to run 1/4 miles is a little different than setting it up to run laps at Nuremburg.

Best of luck, and congrat's on upgrading to 8 cylinder life .

~Matt
Old 05-14-2008, 03:34 PM
dawazn

haha yeah for question 3. i suppose is LSD worth it, but i suppose this is a ? for the suspension people?
Old 05-15-2008, 05:20 PM
jlaurens06gt
2nd Gear Member

Dawazn, if you post your suspension in the suspension area you will get some good answers from real knowledgeable folks. Most of those responsestend to start like this though: 1.) what are your plans for the car (DD, strip, street, track, etc.) and 2.) have you really driven the car and felt andthought about what you =want to address. It seems to me that the real suspension gurus tend to not throw parts at the car.
Old 06-24-2008, 01:28 AM
doogyhap
1st Gear Member

If you want a suspension set up for the street rather than the drag strip go with steeda. A little pricey but worth it. I imagine you would really have to modify the stang suspension to equal the focus SVT. The stang is so much heavier compared to the focus, but I really do not know. Like said before, go to the suspension section and ask F1Fan. He is why I went with my suspension setup.