Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

3rd gear is a Nightmare!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 03:59 PM
abrush
3rd Gear Member

Default 3rd gear is a Nightmare!!!

I just got my custom tune back from Doug and uploaded it with my Diablo. I couldn't wait to see what the car would do so first chance I took it out and got on it. I would say I was close to red line in 1st and 2nd gear before shifting but when I got to 3rd it was like I hit a brick wall!! I couldn't get the dang thing to go in until I let off the gas and slowed down a bit. So I decided I would give it another go around and got the same thing. I actually ended up going into 1st after unsucessfully trying to go into 3rd again. What is up with this?? Is this normal? When I am just cruising 3rd gear is a piece of cake to get into but once I decide to have some fun it is a no go without a ton of effort. I have the stock 5-speed shifter from Ford. Does an aftermarket shifter take care of this? Needless to say the tune is awesome!!!
Old 05-15-2008, 04:17 PM
SuperSonic05
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: 3rd gear is a Nightmare!!!

I have his racing tune, and I don't have trouble shifting into 3rd. maybe you have been pushed to far into your sit to shift correctly.
Old 05-15-2008, 04:18 PM
Vapour Trails
3rd Gear Member

It certainly could be the shifter. I had grinding with the stock one, the tri-ax cured that. The tri-ax now comes with rubber bushings in the rear bracket so the vibrations should be not as hard. I'd probably go with the MGW.
Old 05-15-2008, 05:13 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

its a very common problem with the shifter, dont feel bad at all. Motor mounts or torq limiters with brace will help you out.

The engine and tranny are trying to "roll" basically on you with the power and torque of the car. The solutions above minimize this roll and you can shift into 3rd much easier

Good luck!
Old 05-15-2008, 05:27 PM
Boss919
2nd Gear Member

Che K-member bracewith torque limiters. Its an easy install as well.
Old 05-15-2008, 05:59 PM
sactown
4th Gear Member

this is a very common problem. Try the CHE k-member brace w/torque limiters, prothane motor mounts, and a shifter MGW seems to be the preferred shifter to help with this problem. 1 of the 3 or a combination of them should fix the issue.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:20 PM
GT Bob
3rd Gear Member

The problem comes from the fact that the shifter is body mounted and uses a very soft rubber bushing. With the stock shifter, I would miss like 1 out of every 15 3rd gear shifts when I was hard on it. I run a hurst shifter now, and if I miss one out of every 100 thats alot.

If you wanna stay stealthy with the shifter install, you can buy stiffer bushing for the shifter for like 30 or 40 bucks and put them in.
Old 05-16-2008, 07:31 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I get that on rare occasions, too. And here I thought it was me...
Old 05-16-2008, 09:32 AM
abrush
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for the replies! I am glad I am not the only one that has had this problem. I am going to start looking for a k-member bracewithtorque limiters right away. Where have you guys purchased yours? Any suggestions?
Old 05-16-2008, 03:58 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

I got mine from www.PMPParts.com on sale for 10% off about a year ago

Josh and Kevin are good guys and can set you up if you give them a call

Quick Reply: 3rd gear is a Nightmare!!!