Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

3rd gear is a Nightmare!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 02:13 PM
Fool4Parts
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: 3rd gear is a Nightmare!!!

ORIGINAL: abrush

Thanks for the replies! I am glad I am not the only one that has had this problem. I am going to start looking for a k-member bracewithtorque limiters right away. Where have you guys purchased yours? Any suggestions?
I got mine from CHE. Installed it while my oil drained last oil change, though the MGW shifter had solved my shifting issues already. Quick and easy installation.
http://www.cheperformance.com/cartge...208&cid=15
Old 05-19-2008, 01:19 PM
SuperSonic05
3rd Gear Member

What would k-member brace w/torque limiters do for someone that doesn’t have the shifting problem?
Old 05-19-2008, 02:35 PM
rugedraw
2nd Gear Member

K-member brace will help stiffen up the chassis.....torque limiters won't do much if you aren't having trouble with shifting, but if you have the money, get some better ones. Ford uses a lot of "soft" parts in the Mustangs' suspension to improve overall ride quality, but you sacrifice performance by keeping these parts.

Wheel hop problems can be easily eliminated by upgrading to stiffer upper and lower control arms and using stiffer, polyurethane bushings. Body roll and flex can be eliminated by using stiffer springs/shocks and beefing up the chassis with braces like the k-member brace. Once you start giving more power to the car than it came with, other parts need upgrading, too. Such as: torque limiters, driveshaft, motor and transmission mounts, and anything else that aids in getting that extra power to the ground.

I'm having the same problem....I have to wait longer than I'd like to before throwing 3rd gear because it won't go in at redline. Even 2nd gear gives me a little trouble sometimes since I started upgrading parts.

Old 05-19-2008, 02:43 PM
06VistaBlueGT
3rd Gear Member

My problem is more with second, I don't think I've ever missed third in this car. I have the torque limites and an MGW shifter and still miss second more often than I'd like. I might try to tighten the torque limiters down a little more and make sure that I haven't pulled one side down further than the other creating permanent bind.
Old 05-19-2008, 02:53 PM
rugedraw
2nd Gear Member

Oh, I did a nice one the other day. I was doing a bit over 100mph, redlining 3rd gear. I went to power-shift into 4th gear, and I still don't know if I pulled it into 2nd gear or reverse! Hahahahahaha.......needless to say, the rear tires locked up, the nose dived hard as hell, and all I heard was the engine bouncing the rev limiter for the split second it took me to press in the clutch.......

I put it into 5th gear, and kept cruising. Nothing broke; nothing happened. Well, something happened: I don't remember me ****ting myself since I was in grade school.
Old 05-20-2008, 03:26 AM
TOMBSTANG
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rugedraw

Oh, I did a nice one the other day. I was doing a bit over 100mph, redlining 3rd gear. I went to power-shift into 4th gear, and I still don't know if I pulled it into 2nd gear or reverse! Hahahahahaha.......needless to say, the rear tires locked up, the nose dived hard as hell, and all I heard was the engine bouncing the rev limiter for the split second it took me to press in the clutch.......

I put it into 5th gear, and kept cruising. Nothing broke; nothing happened. Well, something happened: I don't remember me ****ting myself since I was in grade school.
lmao man that made me laugh....Thats crazy man id **** my pants to if i tried to powershift and slammed it into reverse.Hopefully nothing was damaged.
Old 05-22-2008, 02:57 PM
abrush
3rd Gear Member

I went ahead and bought the CHE k-member brace with torque limiters. I can't wait till it arrives. It should hopefully be here by the end of the week.

I do have a quick question for those of you that installed it. Where did you jack up the front of your car? I read the instruction sheet and it says not to support the front wheels. I usually jack up my cars and put ramps under the wheels but it doesn't appear I will be able to do it that way. I only have one good jack so I am trying to see if I will be able to do this myself or if I should just take it to a place with a hoist and have them put it on.
Old 05-22-2008, 04:17 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

i just put stands ont he side rails normally and leave the wheels hanging
Old 05-24-2008, 12:55 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Why let the wheels hang? Does this help with suspension loading or something to install the brace and limiters correctly? Just curious
Old 05-24-2008, 08:41 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

For this install i dont think it really matters. You are bolting something into the frame of the car and the transmission and there is nothing that is greased.