Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

the adaptive learning

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 09:55 AM
ski
4th Gear Member

I believe he's saying that he does not eliminate adaptive learning for the engine because it has to operate under numerous different and variable conditions, but he does eliminate adaptive learning for the automatic tranny. He can also adjust the point at which the auto tranny's torque converter locks up for crisper response.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:47 PM
HypromanGT
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ski
I believe he's saying that he does not eliminate adaptive learning for the engine because it has to operate under numerous different and variable conditions, but he does eliminate adaptive learning for the automatic tranny. He can also adjust the point at which the auto tranny's torque converter locks up for crisper response.
...and also the fact that he DOES disable adaptive learning for Open Loop (WOT); remember that the factory tune does adaptive learning for both open loop and closed loop.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:21 PM
ShadyNinja
4th Gear Member

well here is some info.
I was at the drag strip

I made 3-4 passes, and decided to pull the cable to see if resetting the ecu would help out, I left it unplugged while we ate lunch (over 1 hour)

hooked it back up,

made about 5 more passes( temp ,wind etc were all about the same)
the last 5 passes were 1-2 tenths slower

Resetting the ecu FTL!
Old 05-16-2009, 12:15 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

I don't know if this means anything, but I swapped tunes at the track.. stayed there for about 6 hours straight, a few 30 minute breaks, but pretty much back to back runs all day aside from hitting the hot dog/hamburger stand a few times.Burp.

On the way home, the car was shifting weird.. it didn't want to shift and it shifted way later then how it normally did before. It's okay now, but for the ride home it wanted to shift at 5k even when I was just cruising. It stayed in gear longer then it usually did, perhaps WOTing it all day did it...
Old 05-17-2009, 08:17 PM
ski
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by HypromanGT
...and also the fact that he DOES disable adaptive learning for Open Loop (WOT); remember that the factory tune does adaptive learning for both open loop and closed loop.
Good catch!
Old 05-17-2009, 08:38 PM
ski
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ShadyNinja
well here is some info.
I was at the drag strip

I made 3-4 passes, and decided to pull the cable to see if resetting the ecu would help out, I left it unplugged while we ate lunch (over 1 hour)

hooked it back up,

made about 5 more passes( temp ,wind etc were all about the same)
the last 5 passes were 1-2 tenths slower

Resetting the ecu FTL!
Hope it wasn't a "liquid" lunch, which will impact the driver mod.
Joking aside, disconnecting the battery may be of benefit only if the car had been driven conservatively beforehand, which yours was not.
WRT the lower et's, were the temp and winds within 1% of those during the initial 3-4 runs? Was the wind direction the same? What about the humidity level? What about the driver mod, e.g., were the launch and shift rpm's identical, and did you slip the clutch, spin the tires, and shift gears exactly the same? So many variables come into play that can impact times.
Also, what were the times for the initial 3-4 runs?

Last edited by ski; 05-17-2009 at 08:46 PM.
Old 05-17-2009, 08:44 PM
ski
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by stealth_GT
I don't know if this means anything, but I swapped tunes at the track.. stayed there for about 6 hours straight, a few 30 minute breaks, but pretty much back to back runs all day aside from hitting the hot dog/hamburger stand a few times.Burp.

On the way home, the car was shifting weird.. it didn't want to shift and it shifted way later then how it normally did before. It's okay now, but for the ride home it wanted to shift at 5k even when I was just cruising. It stayed in gear longer then it usually did, perhaps WOTing it all day did it...
You may want to address that issue with Doug.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:12 PM
ShadyNinja
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ski
Hope it wasn't a "liquid" lunch, which will impact the driver mod.
Joking aside, disconnecting the battery may be of benefit only if the car had been driven conservatively beforehand, which yours was not.
WRT the lower et's, were the temp and winds within 1% of those during the initial 3-4 runs? Was the wind direction the same? What about the humidity level? What about the driver mod, e.g., were the launch and shift rpm's identical, and did you slip the clutch, spin the tires, and shift gears exactly the same? So many variables come into play that can impact times.
Also, what were the times for the initial 3-4 runs?
weather wind sun all wee the same it was a calm sunny day
not a lot going on
car is a auto with stock 3.31 gears so not a lot of wheel spinning going on
the trans shifted about the same all day

I ran sum 13.3-13.4's before the disconnect

after a bunch of 13.6 and one 13.5
Old 05-17-2009, 10:58 PM
AmericanMuscle4.6GT
5th Gear Member

you have to train the nitrous unit to recognize WOT voltage, its a special calibration procedure.
Old 05-18-2009, 02:35 AM
kcmarti
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by stealth_GT

Seems to me that this is just the adaptive learning - it learned it was at the track and wanted to keep on going on the way home. You will know for sure if it returns to a more normal feel after a some driving.

Quick Reply: the adaptive learning