Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

shorty headers, which ones are you running and what do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 02:20 PM
jz
3rd Gear Member

Default shorty headers, which ones are you running and what do you think?

I'm always back and forth on headers, long tube orshort tube. From everything I read, it seems like short tube would work better for me. So now my question is which ones are you guys running and what do you think about them? Would you buy them again? How was the install? I've been looking at all the normal contenders: JBA, Edelbrock, BBK, Pacesetter. I'm open to any and all suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Joe
Old 06-27-2008, 05:24 PM
Tormentor
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: shorty headers, which ones are you running and what do you think?

+1 ^^^^
Old 06-27-2008, 06:45 PM
Mikes_BLK_GT
4th Gear Member

Well I cant say yet because thier on backorder till the 5th but after much deliberation, and jumping back&forth on the whole LT vs shorty subject and considering all factors involved for meI went with the titanium coated JBA shorties. I know this doesnt answer your questions just happens to be the same dillema I had.

I decided that since I dont track the car(I'd love to once or twice), I cant really justify the extra $800 you would spend on LT's with catted H, also with my ride being lowered(like most on this site) I did not want to deal with my cats hanging below the framerails on a DD with the wonderfully kept roads here. My plan is hpefully to install an SC maybe next summer so the extra 10-15HP from headerswont make much difference to me.
Old 06-27-2008, 07:25 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

I purchased the JBAs because they have a heavier gauged metal than other brands. This was told to me by 2-3 distributors. I did not get the ceramic coated version but should have.

Some people argue if you need motor mounts with the shorties. I can tell you that I did. If you can really drive your car through some twisties you will know what I'm talking about when the headers vibrate against your frame rail. If youhave the cash to buy them both at the same time, do it. Otherwise you will pay more labor $$ unless you do it yourslef. I did, it was fairly easy.
Old 06-27-2008, 07:31 PM
Mikes_BLK_GT
4th Gear Member

prothanes are on the shelf awaiting the headers
Old 06-29-2008, 11:42 PM
gandyj
1st Gear Member

I have the tuned length BBK ceramic coated shorties. I don't drive my car with any regularity but I like the headers. I did the install myself, not very difficult but time consuming,so there was no labor cost I had to be concerned with. Even with my off-road H-pipe I didn't need to install new motor mounts.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:21 AM
08ImportKilla

Alot of people go with the OBX longtubes on ebay and like them. They usually run around $500 shipped.
Old 07-01-2008, 03:56 PM
crazystylin
2nd Gear Member

JBA ceramic coated shorties, here. NO motor mounts needed.

Look good, sound great/excellent. Added seat of the pants feel. Breathes out easier. S/C will appreciate it.
Old 07-01-2008, 03:59 PM
HazardSports
2nd Gear Member

Curious if anyone has any DYNO proven results. From what I've read - Shorties are not worth much performance gains but long tubes are. I've heard many recommendations that if a Supercharger is in the future stick with the OEM. I DO NOT KNOW and CAN NOT VERIFY any of this. I personally don't have any opinion because I haven't come across any data. I KNOW SOMEONE on the forums MUST have dyno comparison sheets - so I hope they PLEASE share some with us ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
Old 07-01-2008, 04:59 PM
jz
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: HazardSports

Curious if anyone has any DYNO proven results. From what I've read - Shorties are not worth much performance gains but long tubes are. I've heard many recommendations that if a Supercharger is in the future stick with the OEM. I DO NOT KNOW and CAN NOT VERIFY any of this. I personally don't have any opinion because I haven't come across any data. I KNOW SOMEONE on the forums MUST have dyno comparison sheets - so I hope they PLEASE share some with us ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
Not too long ago someone had a post where one of the magazines had an install of BBK shorties. There was a performance gain (HP and Torque). It seems like the shorties tend to add more mid HP and Torque, where the long tubes add power up top. Considering my car will rarely if ever see a track day I think I've pretty much decided to go the shorty route. Now just trying to figure out which ones. I've seen some on Ebay for $130, but something about that bothers me. It's a no name brand. Supposedly their ceramic coated, but who knows. I'll see if I can find the links for the install and the ones on ebay.

Quick Reply: shorty headers, which ones are you running and what do you think?