Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

CAI Tune question

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 04:10 PM
777GT

Default CAI Tune question

Hey everybody, new to the forum and to modifying my 07 GT. My first mod is going to be CAI and a tune. After searching through old posts I've decided on the C&L Street Intake and was planning on going through Brenspeed. It comes w/ a X-cal 2 tune. I have seen there is a X-cal 3 out there but it doesnt appear that Brenspeed offers it. I was wondering the difference between the 2 and 3 and if I should look elsewhere or if the 2 is just as good. Thanks for the input.
Old 07-04-2008, 07:30 PM
SilversurferV6
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: CAI Tune question

go through bamachips not brenspeed, they areway better, ESPECIALLY for autos. anything goes wrong and doug at bamachips wont charge for a new tune if he needs to give u one. Most run 13.3 at worse with an intake and a tune from there. I ran a 13.3 wit ****ty weather personally. Bamachips has the SCT3tuner as well as diablosport. I have noticed from past mustangs and this one that SCT def prevails over the diablosport. With a custom tune from Bamaships which is free of charge and comes with 3 sepreate ones of your choice, people have turned 12.9s in autos with just a tune intake and exhaust, you can check dragtimes.com for the proof on that. But either way hah u have no clue how much better your car will feel after the transformation it's absolutely phenominal.
Old 07-05-2008, 07:30 AM
tdbrown75
2nd Gear Member

I have both tuners tunes and both Bamachips and Brenspeed tunes make great power, improve throttle respose, firm up shifts, etc. However, if you have an Auto, I strongly agree with the previous poster, the things Bamachips does with the automatic transmission is amazing and there really is no comparison.

Tim
Old 07-05-2008, 08:12 AM
777GT

Thanks for the input. I have a 5 speed so the auto features dont apply but I appreciate the response. As far as difference between X-cal 2 and 3 is there any?I thought I hadmy mind made up on Brenspeed but now Im not so sure. Is one or the other better for changing tunes as further mods are made. I plan on doing exhaust and gears at some point soon and other changes further down the road.
Old 07-05-2008, 03:03 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

Brenspeed is a great company and has a huge following on this Forum,don't let one person's negative opinion sway you. I've seen dozens and dozens of posts on the merits of both Brenspeed and Bama, so you are not treading new ground here, either one will be an excellent choice. As you add mods to your car Brenspeed (just like Bama) can send you new tunes which you load into the Tuner via a PC.

I have never used the XCal 3 but I just looked at the SCT web site. From what I can tell it has built in data logging where the XCal2 doesn't (you need to hook it to a laptop while you drive the car). It might have a couple more user adjustable parameters, not sure since I'm not looking at my XCal 2 at the moment.

Personally I wouldn't worry about these 'upgrades'. I've only used datalogging once and that was just for fun. The only adjustable parameters I've changed are the tire size and axle ratio. So for me the XCal 3 doesn't offer anything I don't already have.
Old 07-05-2008, 04:19 PM
SilversurferV6
2nd Gear Member

yea it's mainly due to the fact that the creator of the tunes perfected them on his own personal auto gt.
Old 07-06-2008, 11:16 PM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

The X3 has had some firmware issues. If you get it download the software to store your tunes on your PC as soon as you get it and
store your tunes on the PC then update all the Firmware to latest version. Mine went down and SCT had to reprogram by remote and Doug had to email me new tunes. Since then its been flawless.

All I can say is that my otherwise 100% stock 2007 GT with M5, 3.55, Stock Pirellis, and 280 lb driver with just a JLTII Intake and a
Mailorder Bamachips SCT 93 Octane Race Tune (Dont worry its fully streetable) has a couple of handfulls of 12.9s from 2 different tracks.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:55 AM
BudgetPlan1
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Gene K

The X3 has had some firmware issues. If you get it download the software to store your tunes on your PC as soon as you get it and
store your tunes on the PC then update all the Firmware to latest version.
Mine went down and SCT had to reprogram by remote and Doug had to email me new tunes. Since then its been flawless.

All I can say is that my otherwise 100% stock 2007 GT with M5, 3.55, Stock Pirellis, and 280 lb driver with just a JLTII Intake and a
Mailorder Bamachips SCT 93 Octane Race Tune (Dont worry its fully streetable) has a couple of handfulls of 12.9s from 2 different tracks.

I wasn't aware that you could download the custom loaded tunes currently on an XCAL3 down to your PC. I thought you could only upload new tunes files to the XCAL-3.
Old 07-08-2008, 07:59 PM
matswpa844

bamachips....talk to Doug he well make ur car go fast!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-08-2008, 08:44 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Brenspeed, Bama, VMP... They all are excellent. You won't go wrong with any of the more popular vendors.

Quick Reply: CAI Tune question