Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

07 GT is feeling sluggish

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 01:46 AM
nicknitro25
1st Gear Member

Default 07 GT is feeling sluggish

Hi all,

My auto 07 GT recently has been feeling really sluggish. A little description of what happens: If I am rolling along at say 25mph and push the gas down halfway the engine will rev up to about 3500 RPM's and sit there for a good 3-5 seconds then finally shoot me forward. Along with this if I am going around 50 and hit the gas about halfway the engine will rev up, then the car sounds like it downshifts almost and I need to push the pedal down even further..then the engine will roar and I will get the acceleration I want.

It just is just feeling like a really slow car to be honest, and I know thats not what a 300 hp car should feel like lol. Any input? I will probably be bringing it in to get the transmission checked out but I would like to see what you guys have to say so I can describe whats wrong or what should be looked at further.
Old 07-20-2008, 07:19 AM
5SPD07GT
Official Site Sponsor

Default RE: 07 GT is feeling sluggish

I am not sure where you live but the summer heat plays a huge factory in making the car sluggish
Old 07-20-2008, 12:09 PM
rshamekh
4th Gear Member

Get a CAI/Tune package from bamachips.com
Old 07-20-2008, 11:02 PM
BlowByRacing

It sounds like you are not used to the drive-by wire. SCT X3 Tuner will solve that problem.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:35 AM
nicknitro25
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the replies.

Where can I buy one of these? And can they be installed by the Ford maintenance department where I bought my car/get it worked on ect.?
Old 07-21-2008, 03:31 PM
grampa_stang
4th Gear Member

You can try this 1st. Disconnect your battery for 15 minutes, this will reset the adaptive learning.
Now as far as ordering a JLT II CAI/SCT Xcal2 from Bama..just do it. You can install it yourself.
Old 07-25-2008, 02:59 PM
MorePowerMike

Definitely sounds drive by wire related, but without data nobody can say for sure. The above suggest of resetting the KAM (Keep Alive Memory) is a good first thing to check.

The other suggestions are good as well. A tune will let you know for sure if you have a mechanical problem.

I know that the sluggish feeling the 05+ mustangs have off of the line is something that I take care of immediately when I'm tuning them.
Old 07-30-2008, 04:15 AM
SD05GT
3rd Gear Member

Forget a JLT intake (hahah JLT fans). go to www.brenspeed.com and order a Steeda Intake And Tune. While your at it, order some SLP loudmouths or some mac mufflers. Your car will sound, and run completely different.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:02 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

To clarify some of the above, our Stangs have an adaptive learning feature that tends to result in sluggish performance mostly from in-town driving styles. Disconnecting the battery resets this so the computer can relearn. Unfortunately, that's only a temporary fix, IF it works.

The CAI & tune combos basically provide additional air via the CAI and the tuner adjusts various engine operating parameters which GREATLY enhance performance and driveability. The more popular vendors will write tunes (you get 3 tunes with the combo) specifically for your car. You can upload them into your cars computer via the handheld tuner. It's all plug-n-play. Very simple. Even the CAI install is not very complicated and the whole shootin' match takes about 1-2 hours for the average novice to install.

There's a lot of reading info about this and you can call the vendors to ask all your questions. Brenspeed, Bamachips, Evolution... these are 3 of the more popular vendors.

The typical CAI combo (they're all about equivalent in performance) will net you from 15-25 RWHP give or take. The difference from stock is like night and day.
Old 08-02-2008, 11:39 AM
mousetankmike

My new Stang is also sluggish. Got it in April. 2008 GT rag-top. It hauls, but unless I brake tourq, I can barely do a burn out. If I do one of these tunes how, exactly does it change the performance? Does it effect my warranty? I am surprized at how it pauses before it takes off. Does turning off the traction controll give you a better chance to spin the wheels? What is a bamma tune, anyway? I always hear about "putting a chip in" Is that what it is? It also feels like there is play in the trans, like when I'm idleing in a parking lot and want to go just a little faster, I give it a little gas, it pauses and then goes.

Quick Reply: 07 GT is feeling sluggish