Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

best CAI + tuner for '06 GT?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 09:36 AM
ahkitekt
1st Gear Member

Default best CAI + tuner for '06 GT?

I see numerous tuners (diablo, SCT, etc) and many CAIs from many companies. Unless there is a better option buying separate, I was considering buying a combo from American Muscle with the Steeda 05+ GT carbon fiber CAI with the SCT X3 tuner. I think basically the 90 dollars more gets you the finish look, which I was hoping to see a photo of before buying but not a big deal. My car is stock right now, so this is my first modification.

Amateur question. It tells me it comes with 1 free custom tune. If my car is stock, what exactly would I or could I get for a custom tune? I personally know very little about this, but have determined this is the best minor modification I can make early on to add a little horsepower.

Anyone have any better combo kits in mind? Any information would greatly be appreciated.

Thank you,
Brendan
Old 08-25-2008, 09:51 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

You'll be much better off buying the combo with the provided 3 custom tunes from Brenspeed or Bamachips (I THINK Bama provides 3 like Brenspeed) as opposed to the "canned" tune from AM. W/O any other mods, your tune selections should be based on what different octane fuel you have available in your area. I suggest the custom 87 tune in the event you're on the road and can't get anything higher (happened to me on more than 1 occasion). Note that the custom 87 tune is a MAJOR change to the stock 87 tune. Even the custom 87 will knock your socks offs.

BTW, I come up to the NW suburbs about once or twice/month (up 355 to 53 to Lake Cook...).

Last edited by Nuke; 08-25-2008 at 09:53 AM.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:10 AM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

Buy from a reputable tuner such as Brenspeed, Bamachips, VMP, etc. AmericanMuscle is just a retailer. Stick with either a SCT or Diablosport tuner, the other ones are all junk.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:48 AM
ahkitekt
1st Gear Member

Thank you so much guys, that is a huge help. I am new to Mustangs, and learning day by day with magazines, web sites, etc. So if I get one with 3 tunes to start, I should definitely go with 87, 89, and maybe 93? I think those are most prevalent in this area. I don't need to take it to a shop for a dyno do I? If I want to, is that expensive? I figure these are bolt-on and user-friendly so I can do it myself and my father-in-law is an electrician and VERY smart with cars.

Nuke - you live in Illinois? Get into Chicago much?
Old 08-25-2008, 11:06 AM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ahkitekt
Thank you so much guys, that is a huge help. I am new to Mustangs, and learning day by day with magazines, web sites, etc. So if I get one with 3 tunes to start, I should definitely go with 87, 89, and maybe 93? I think those are most prevalent in this area. I don't need to take it to a shop for a dyno do I? If I want to, is that expensive? I figure these are bolt-on and user-friendly so I can do it myself and my father-in-law is an electrician and VERY smart with cars.
When I was buying a tune I just bought one. I didn't think that I'd be switching between different tunes very often so I just got on good general tune. I went with a 91 octane race tune from Bamachips. 93 octane is readily available in my area but I figured if I'm ever in a situation where I can't find 93 octane then I won't have a problem. Besides, the horsepower difference between 91 and 93 is almost negligible.

Dyno tunes can be very expensive. I was quoted upwards of $400 for one when I looked into it.
Old 08-25-2008, 11:51 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I bought the Steeda and tune combo from Brenspeed and had them provide 87, 89 and 93 octane tunes.

The CAI install is pretty simple and takes 1-2 hours depending on how **** you are and how many beers you drink. The tune download is plug-n-play and takes a whole 2-3 minutes, if that.
Old 08-25-2008, 12:10 PM
Murphdog
3rd Gear Member

Most dyno tunes should run less than $200. The shop I went to just weeks ago said they usually charge $160. I actually got lucky and they gave me a great deal. $600 for the C&L Racer CAI, the SCT Xcal3 tuner, and a dyno tune. They ran my car on the dyno tune about 7 times to try to get it the best it can 278 hp and 295 tq in humid 105 degree austin texas weather. On a Mutang dyno, I think the hp would be more like 288.

I forgot to add. They dyno'd it for 93 octane gas. They added an 87 tune to my tuner for me for long drives.

Last edited by Murphdog; 08-25-2008 at 12:15 PM.
Old 08-25-2008, 12:19 PM
GT4HUTCH
2nd Gear Member

Hey brah, my vote is for an SCT tuner with a JLT intake. You can order from Brenspeed (good folks to deal with) with a tune for various octanes in your area. I don't think you stated whether or not you have a 5 speed or a auto. If your car is an auto, a tune will REALLY wake it up!

Personally, i HIGHLY recommend giving the guys at ProDyno a call and ordering from them. You will get a REALLY good tune and a good deal on the intake and tune as well. I say again, i highly recommend them! I had a K&N CAI, pulleys, LT headers, xpipe, mid mufflers, and then switched to a JLT and got a dyno tune and Picked up over 23hp and 20lbtq. The JLT alone netted me another 8hp over the K&N.

Why don't you check out ProDyno's website and see for yourself. They are one of VERY few LEVEL 4 SCT tuners in the country with over 3000 writeable permissions with the software.

You asked what you will get out of a custom tune/CAI. = A faster mustang! Especially if it is an auto. It's amazing what a tune can do for the shifting of the car. You may or may not see a difference as far as better gas mileage, but then again i'm sure you didn't buy a GT for that reason.

And YES...this is the best first mod for extra power. After that I'd say the best bang for the buck mod would definitely be a set of steeper gears e.g. 4.10's!!!

Dyno tunes will run you several hundred dollars. But it's money very well spent if you have a GOOD knowledgable tuner who's primary goal is to make higher numbers than his compeditors.

Have fun with your car and be warned, once you start making more power you get hooked very quickly.

HUTCH
Old 08-25-2008, 01:41 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Murphdog
...They dyno'd it for 93 octane gas. They added an 87 tune to my tuner for me for long drives.
I had the same intent since most of my roundtrips are 800-2000 miles (about once or twice a month) and I exclusively run my 89 tune. No sense dropping down to 87 to save a measly $10-20/trip for the sake of a little extra pep when knifing thru traffic.
Old 08-25-2008, 03:20 PM
ahkitekt
1st Gear Member

awesome info guys, thank you. i have an automatic so i am really looking forward to waking up the engine with the CAI and tuner. I will also make some calls near chicago to see if i can find a decent price on a dyno run near my place. I just ordered the quarter window louvers this morning, so in a few weeks i will be placing this order. thanks again!

Quick Reply: best CAI + tuner for '06 GT?