Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Driveshaft results

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 09:18 PM
russje
2nd Gear Member

Cool Newbie Question I guess

So after reading everyone's comments on driveshafts on here, I have a question. Has no one tried out the Ford Racing Spec one?

http://www.seanhylandmotorsport.com/...mponents.shtml

It's about half way down the page, here are the specs listed on the website:

FR500C DRIVE SHAFT
M-4602-J $289.00
• High strength, 3.5” diameter 0.114” wall thickness 6061-RT62 aluminum seemless drawn tube
• 1330 U-joints 45.5” long (CL to CL of U-joints)

I'm curious to find out how much this weighs, because it's half as much as the others...Any thoughts please
Old 09-19-2008, 12:06 AM
Sleep Deprived
2nd Gear Member

Those won't fit the 05+ Mustangs.
Old 09-19-2008, 02:56 AM
TOMBSTANG
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by russje
So after reading everyone's comments on driveshafts on here, I have a question. Has no one tried out the Ford Racing Spec one?

http://www.seanhylandmotorsport.com/...mponents.shtml

It's about half way down the page, here are the specs listed on the website:

FR500C DRIVE SHAFT
M-4602-J $289.00
• High strength, 3.5” diameter 0.114” wall thickness 6061-RT62 aluminum seemless drawn tube
• 1330 U-joints 45.5” long (CL to CL of U-joints)

I'm curious to find out how much this weighs, because it's half as much as the others...Any thoughts please
why wont it fit?

check this out. video showing u that exact d/s on the fr500
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=209NuwlWvq0

theres a few more in my profile on youtube.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:01 AM
russje
2nd Gear Member

Smile

Originally Posted by Sleep Deprived
Those won't fit the 05+ Mustangs.
Sorry, but that's exactly what they are made for. The FR500C is a race spec built 05+ Mustang built for private Ford Factory sanctioned races.

If you google it you can find lots of information on them. The thing that appealed to me about it is it Ford designed. I'm all about performance parts that come with a warranty, that's a new thing for me!
Old 09-19-2008, 09:23 AM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

What Trans does a FR500C run though? I would think at a min it would be a TR6060 but I could be wrong.

Also if you were putting out 800rwhp I could see not wanting the adapter, but I have never heard of one failing.

Also does the spydershaft still make you use components of your stock shaft or do they supply new OEM parts now. I have heard it both ways.

I am torn between the spydershaft and the Dynotech 3.5". Big difference in price but I dont mind spending the extra money if it is worth it.

I have just heard of some people who have vibrations with the spydershaft at 80mph, and that is where I cruise everyday on the highway.

Thanks
Old 09-19-2008, 09:30 AM
Sleep Deprived
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by russje
Sorry, but that's exactly what they are made for. The FR500C is a race spec built 05+ Mustang built for private Ford Factory sanctioned races.

If you google it you can find lots of information on them. The thing that appealed to me about it is it Ford designed. I'm all about performance parts that come with a warranty, that's a new thing for me!
Google is your friend . Those are made for '96-'04 Mustangs.
Old 09-19-2008, 10:03 AM
MustangBatman1
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MustangGT0405
What Trans does a FR500C run though? I would think at a min it would be a TR6060 but I could be wrong.

Also if you were putting out 800rwhp I could see not wanting the adapter, but I have never heard of one failing.

Also does the spydershaft still make you use components of your stock shaft or do they supply new OEM parts now. I have heard it both ways.

I am torn between the spydershaft and the Dynotech 3.5". Big difference in price but I dont mind spending the extra money if it is worth it.

I have just heard of some people who have vibrations with the spydershaft at 80mph, and that is where I cruise everyday on the highway.

Thanks
Spydershaft supplies new parts.

If you are having vibration issues at 80 all you need to do is correct your pinion angle either with adj LCA's or an adj UCA.
Old 09-19-2008, 11:13 AM
russje
2nd Gear Member

Talking Nope sorry

Originally Posted by Sleep Deprived
Google is your friend . Those are made for '96-'04 Mustangs.
First off, there was no FR500C racing program in those years, it was just started. Second Sean Hyland Motorsports the website with the link to the part I'm referring, doesn't even offer any FR500C parts for those years.

I'm not sure what you googled, but it must not have been FR500C, also feel free to check out Mustang & Fast Fords website they have an article on it, also you can go right to www.fordracing.com and see exactly what I'm talking about. Sorry but no mention of 96-04's. Not trying to be a dick, just don't want people miss informed.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/announcements/news15.asp

On another note, the FR500C does run a different trans, T56R
Old 09-19-2008, 02:33 PM
Sleep Deprived
2nd Gear Member

No I did not search for FR500C as neither you or I, or probably any of us for that matter, have one. That driveshaft was used in the FR500C, sure, but it was made for '96-'04 manual transmission Mustangs. I'm not trying to be a PITA about it, but I'd hate for somebody to go out and buy one thinking it will work. Since what we're really talking about is the driveshaft, not the FR500C, do a quick search for that driveshaft's part number (M-4602-J). Below are a few results...

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...tKeyField=2980

http://www.jegs.com/i/Ford+Racing/397/M-4602-J/10002/-1
Old 09-19-2008, 03:10 PM
Sleep Deprived
2nd Gear Member

I honestly wish that driveshaft did fit in our cars, nobody wants to throw down $700+ for a Spydershaft. An aluminum driveshaft is next on my list of mods, I would snap that Ford Racing one up in a second if I could. I think there is a 2005+ aluminum driveshaft on eBay right now for around $300, but I don't know if it ended yet. I ended up finding a used Spydershaft here in the classifieds for $400 shipped, but the guy never shipped the darn thing! Anyway, I think we all can agree that we need a $300 1-pc driveshaft for our cars! Then we'll have enough left over to start saving up for the next mod...

Quick Reply: Driveshaft results