Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

LTs versus Shorties...what is the truth?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 04:43 PM
BlueOvalBlood
2nd Gear Member

Question LTs versus Shorties...what is the truth?

I have read a lot of threads by those running one or the other claiming theirs is better. What is the truth? Are LTs really better, or are they just slightly better but double the price?
My build is 06 Mustang GT, pypes xpipe,motoblue overaxle pypes, Bassani axle backs, C&L "Racer" CAI, Diablo Predator, just received 4.10s that will be in by weeks end, planning on Comp Thumpr Cams, possibly heads later, and a Zex 100 shot Wet system possibly in future.

So what is the best way to go for headers?
Old 10-16-2008, 06:56 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

"The truth? You can't handle the truth!"

I only know what I've heard here. Shorties have minimal gain compared to LT's. I have no doubt you'll get a range of responses. I'll go get some popcorn...
Old 10-16-2008, 07:11 PM
BlueOvalBlood
2nd Gear Member

lol, yeah i am hoping to get good posts. however, since the format change of t he site, I notice way less responses.
I haev heard rom the LT guys that LTs are the only things worth putting on. But the Shortie guys claim similar number for half the price and more low end torque.
So I will go get some milk duds and a Pepsi and pull up a chair in hopes there is a lot of feedback for once
Old 10-17-2008, 01:28 AM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

i forget who it was recently put up a dyno chart showing some really nice gains from shorties...
Old 10-17-2008, 03:00 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

if going FI I thought LTs were the only option?? there were some other issues between the two headers,something like fittment issues or another..can't remember it's been awhile since I read those threads...

for me,I will most likely go with shorties and dual cutouts coming up in the next few months.I want something quiet for DD then blaring loud madness when racing lol.

(-:
Old 10-17-2008, 04:52 AM
BlueOvalBlood
2nd Gear Member

hmm ani idea what the shorties were that put up good numbers?
Old 10-17-2008, 08:21 AM
NaplesFL11GT
3rd Gear Member

Cant remember the post but I do remember somebody siad that shortys are good for low end torque and the long tubes are great for high end power. Eventually im going to go for the shortys seeing that I could use more low end torque.
Old 10-17-2008, 08:24 AM
RagingCrank
2nd Gear Member

I'm just going to connect my shorties to my LT!!!

Then I'll get the benifits of both.... JACKPOT!!!
Old 10-17-2008, 08:52 AM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

I've seen dyno graphs of LT making equally good low-end and mid-range torque gains as the shorties but of course make even higher high end.

LT are the way to go, NA or not. The only reason to buy shorties is if you need to pass emissions and don't want to swap exhausts every time. Shorties are better than stock, there's no doubt to that but LT are overall better if you can afford them. Plus the sound from LT is better.

I considered shorties for quite some time but since I don't have to worry about emissions I can get LT...and I have! Too bad they're not here yet.
Old 10-17-2008, 01:21 PM
grampa_stang
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by NaplesFL05GT
Cant remember the post but I do remember somebody siad that shortys are good for low end torque and the long tubes are great for high end power. Eventually im going to go for the shortys seeing that I could use more low end torque.
That's exactly what i've heard.

Quick Reply: LTs versus Shorties...what is the truth?